2018 Eastern Conference Finals

9,098 Views | 143 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by MondayMorningQB
CactusThomas
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
HossAg said:

Unbelievably poor performance by the Celtics. Both of these teams would have been swept by the rockets/warriors, regardless. Gonna be an uneventful finals once again. The east needs Lebron to go to the 76ers for their own sake.

Name one team that is capable of advancing to the finals without their two highest paid players. The east doesn't need LeBron to go to the sixers, the C's are the team to beat moving forward.
Bunk Moreland
Charlie Kelley said:

NBA is a joke

My NBA viewing these days consists of following sportacular until 5 minutes left and then making a decision to watch the end or not. That's playoffs. I dont even watch regular season games. Twitter will show me the highlights I need to see.
Ulrich
Bunk Moreland said:

Also, successfully coaching a LeBron team has to be one of the most challenging things to do. You have to check so much of what makes a coach a coach at the door.

Definitely agree with that. It would take a Phil Jackson to legitimately coach a LeBron team, but Spoelstra did a MUCH better job than Lue imo. They played better, smarter, tougher defense and had more of an offense even after they turned super old in 2014.
Seven Costanza
AG
I don't disagree that Lue isn't anything more than a puppet (or fall guy, if needed). But if you're making the calls on who is coaching and then winning, you get credit.
Ulrich
What?
MookieBlaylock
AG
The cavs are not a good team and are two ankle rolls from a championship

The NBA is a fing joke from just 5 years ago let alone previous generations

It's really bad
Seven Costanza
AG
Ulrich said:

What?
"But if one is making the calls on who is coaching and then winning, one gets credit." Better?
Bunk Moreland
He made the right personnel decisions to turn the series against indy. It's sad I have to think of basic coaching things to give him credit for but that's what happens when you coach a LeBron.
Seven Costanza
AG
I don't know if Lue is really allowed to make decisions.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Did yall see the walk to the back room? LeBron barely gets out a hand clap for Gilbert while he bear hugs Lue.

ASDLFASHFDSAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA.
rambo_99
Welp. Vegas had Cleveland as overwhelming favorite against a ragtag group of no names. Per ESPN this ragtag of who's who was the best nba roster ever assembled and blessed by the angel st Gabriel.

Time to lose again to whoever is in the west again. But goat for beating up on the leasetern conference again.
rambo_99
Equivalent of Colorado state getting to play the patriots in the Super Bowl.
basketballaddict44
Lebron is great and I think he deserves a ton of credit for how well hes done in these playoffs. That said, I do think people are overhyping his finals runs a little. There was no reason to expect anyone but his teams, Lebron-Wade-Bosh+bench and Lebron-Kyrie-Love+bench, to make it to the playoffs. This year, the team was by no means a lock, but at the beginning of the playoffs, most people would've said the Cavs would go to the finals. The only reason it's as shocking as it is, is because they came so close to not making it past teams they had no business going to 7 games against. Phenomenal player but I think the accomplishment is slightly overhyped.
Bunk Moreland
Respectfully disagree. I think the over-saturation of coverage and media these days has normalized how great LeBron has been.

Part of the mystique of Jordan, Bird, Magic, etc was that you didn't see them too often during the year until the playoffs. And even then not nationwide fully until conference finals and NBA finals.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
They SWEPT the team with the best record in the East. Boston hasn't lost a home game in the playoffs and they closed them out on the road in a Game 7 without their second best player who was unavailable for the second straight elimination game. In those two games, he averaged 41, 13, and 9 on over 50% (8 for 15 from three) shooting while sitting for only TWO minutes.

He literally leads his team in every statistical category (regular and postseason) except for rebounds where Kevin Love has him beat by one. He's 33.
basketballaddict44
When I say "the accomplishment is overhyped," the accomplishment I am referring to is his 8 straight finals appearances more so than this year's final run. You still may disagree, which is fine, but I probably did not make that clear the first time. In my opinion, there was no one who belonged in the same conversation as the Heat in those 4 years. Same with the Cavs up until this season. There was no excuse for him not to make it to the finals those 7 years.

These playoffs were different, and I think Lebron deserves a ton of credit for carrying his team the way he did. I respect the point made about how they swept the Raptors and I view that as a valid point. I would personally say that I will not take the raptors seriously until they perform like their record indicates in the playoffs. I personally think the Cavs should have been expected to beat them from the beginning. That said, you are absolutely right. Beating the Raptors is still impressive and SWEEPING them is even more of an accomplishment. In regards to the eastern conference finals, had the celtics won this series, I would've been slightly disappointed in Lebron by the standards we hold him to: top 2 player, arguably the greatest ever. Not disappointed enough to say he's not top 2 or not the GOAT, but simply slightly disappointed. While he did not have much help throughout these playoffs, I do believe that he has a good enough supporting cast, in which being led by a top 2 player of all-time should beat a well-rounded team with no star at the moment. I simply believe the Cavs should've been expected to make it the finals and that the finals streak (particularly the first 7 years) is hyped to be a greater deal than it is.
Token
AG
CactusThomas said:

HossAg said:

Unbelievably poor performance by the Celtics. Both of these teams would have been swept by the rockets/warriors, regardless. Gonna be an uneventful finals once again. The east needs Lebron to go to the 76ers for their own sake.

Name one team that is capable of advancing to the finals without their two highest paid players. The east doesn't need LeBron to go to the sixers, the C's are the team to beat moving forward.
al horford is the celtics' highest paid player. He was there so that moronic argument is out the window
BBQ4Me
AG
Before you say "moronic argument," you should check your sources. Gordon is their highest paid player
CactusThomas
AG
Even if I was wrong about the ranking, they are both max contract players I believe.
HossAg
AG
Misread. LeGOAT
Ulrich
Imo, even if any one finals run wasn't that impressive, doing it 8 years in a row is insane. If they have a 90% chance of winning every series, that still only works out to an 8% chance of winning 24 consecutive playoff series. Getting to 50% means his teams have a 97.2% chance of winning each series.

Adjust it and say that every year there are two series that the opponents have a 0% chance and one where the Cavs are only 90% prohibitive favorites and the odds are only 43%.

This doesn't happen without a massive advantage every time the team steps on the floor. That advantage is not Dwayne Wade (who was fading hard by the end), Ray Allen (a very good role player when he was with LeBron), or Kevin Love (who seems to be injured most of the time). It might be Kyrie Irving, except that he isn't there anymore and also has injury woes of his own.
MondayMorningQB
AG
Yup the LeFlop wins yet another pillow fight contest out of the YMCA leastern conference. Let's all bow for greatness.. we are witnesses. Got dayum marketing does work on sheeple.

Please let me know amongst your statistical anyalisis how many 50+ win teams James has beaten in the pillow conference playoffs over the years vs all the greats like Magic, Larry, and MJ.

Let's bring this back down a notch to comparisons of Tim Duncan and James where it belongs. Ef it's like some of you have never watched basketball.
Ulrich
I'm not sure what your point is. My post made no mention of Jordan or anyone else, it only remarked on the fact that there's clearly something going on with LeBron besides a lack of stellar competition.

You may be taking the internet too seriously; consider spending less time on Twitter or wherever you people find these hot takes.
MondayMorningQB
AG
Your point is that it's insane. My point is it's not.
Bunk Moreland
The funniest thing about the "LeBron plays in the east" argument is that it goes both ways. All the other major stars either stayed or headed west so they didn't have to go through LeBron to make a finals.
Ulrich
Usually people don't come right out and admit when they are wrong, good on you.
MondayMorningQB
AG
Glad to see you have zero stats on that one. Good work.
MondayMorningQB
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

The funniest thing about the "LeBron plays in the east" argument is that it goes both ways. All the other major stars either stayed or headed west so they didn't have to go through LeBron to make a finals.

You might be on to something. What would be interesting is to take the Top 25 players in the nba right now and see what conference they play in. Additionally which conference has the better record over the past 20 seasons.
rambo_99
I think I understand the lebron viewpoint now..... this just in Jim kelly is just as good as Montana because he went to 4 Super Bowls. Actually better because he went to 4 straight.

Silly argument when you apply it outside of lebron huh.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
rambo_99 said:

I think I understand the lebron viewpoint now..... this just in Jim kelly is just as good as Montana because he went to 4 Super Bowls. Actually better because he went to 4 straight.

Silly argument when you apply it outside of lebron huh.

Me, searching for a worse analogy than the above:

rambo_99
Lebron > Jordan. Just found your worse take.
Seven Costanza
AG
MondayMorningQB said:

Please let me know amongst your statistical anyalisis how many 50+ win teams James has beaten in the pillow conference playoffs over the years vs all the greats like Magic, Larry, and MJ.
I was curious, so I looked it up. LeBron has 15 series wins against 50+ win teams. Jordan had 20 series wins against 50+ win teams.

2012 was a shortened season of 66 games, so I counted any team with a .610 winning percentage as a "50-win team".
MondayMorningQB
AG
Thank you. Someone with factual and intellectual curiosity. You sir deserve a blue star.
Seven Costanza
AG
James led Cleveland to 66 an 61 wins in the two years prior to leaving. The next year they won 19 games.

He went to Miami and led them to 4 straight Finals appearances. The following year Miami missed the playoffs.

Cleveland failed to make the playoffs in the four years that James was gone. As soon as he came back, they went to 4 straight Finals.

To be fair, Cleveland decided to tank after he left, Bosh got hurt after he left, and Cleveland traded for Love for the second stint in Cleveland. Still pretty impressive, though.
MondayMorningQB
AG
Agreed very impressive in his modern day.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.