***Official 2017-18 Dallas Mavs season thread***

31,679 Views | 304 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by M.C. Swag
True Anomaly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

Were you behind the suns' bench? I couldn't tell if those were suns or mavs fans but that section was really into it.
Nah, I sit closer to the Mavs bench. But when House made that monster dunk, we definitely stood up and cheered like those guys
thirty-two
AG
The second half was brilliant! Carlisle must have given them some great words of encouragement.
jeffdjohnson
Jalen Jones with a -31 on the night. Ouch. Carslisle didn't even bother using a point guard in the 2nd half. At one point Jalen Jones was driving and dishing out to Kleber for 3 like he was Chris Paul.

The Mavs fate will now be decided by coin flips and ping-pong balls. On Friday the NBA will break the 3-way tie between Mavs/Magic/Hawks. Beyond that they will share an equal number of ping-pong balls on draft night. Mavs will have something like a 35% chance of jumping into the top 3. Really want to get into the top 2 (Ayton/Doncic) but as long as they don't slip beyond 6th then they will get a top tier prospect (Jackson/Porter/Bagley/Bamba). Out of all of those guys Jackson is probably the one I would be least excited about, but mock drafts seem to love his potential.
mavsfan4ever
AG
I'll be thrilled with Doncic/Ayton/Porter. If we are 3, I hope we pick Porter over Bagley. And I agree with you on Jackson. Either way, will be an exciting lottery and an exciting draft.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Stupid Magic are going to win their game.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Between beating the Mavs head-to-head late in the season and tonight's game, the Magic really did the Mavs a solid. Worth 2 spots.
94chem
DannyDuberstein said:

Between beating the Mavs head-to-head late in the season and tonight's game, the Magic really did the Mavs a solid. Worth 2 spots.
The unexpected championship 4 years past their prime window was great, but it's also worth reflecting on the overall great run the Mavs had. To put it in perspective, when was the last time Dallas cared about the draft?
mavsfan4ever
AG
What time is the coin flip today?
hph6203
AG
They won the coin flip.
Law Hall 69-72
AG
The Mavs won the flip, so they will draft no worse than 6th.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Our lottery luck may finally be changing
94chem
DannyDuberstein said:

Our lottery luck may finally be changing

Uwe Blab should still be on the board. If not, we can go with Jim Farmer or Randy White.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Awesome. Realistically we should be no worse than 5th. There is like a 4% chance we could draft 6th.
Seven Costanza
AG
Ayton is clearly #1, but I'm not sure where he fits in today's game. I'm thinking Doncic may have the higher ceiling, albeit with a much lower floor.

Obviously it's difficult to accurately project, but this draft seems like it's a bunch of guys that are going to be good pieces, but not #1 guys on their teams.
PatAg
AG
Seven Costanza said:

Ayton is clearly #1, but I'm not sure where he fits in today's game. I'm thinking Doncic may have the higher ceiling, albeit with a much lower floor.

Obviously it's difficult to accurately project, but this draft seems like it's a bunch of guys that are going to be good pieces, but not #1 guys on their teams.
That's not what im reading from most draft expert/nba types.
PatAg
AG
I would also say that we seem to have our #1, we need to just make sure we actually draft another stud to go with him. Gotta hit on this pick
94chem
Bagley's strength and range are going to play very well at the next level. He seems to have a very quick 2nd jump, good shooting touch that will develop, and a power game that will make him a true 4 with a nice game away from the basket. I think he'll be as good as Anthony Davis. If he's at 3, I'd be all over that.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, Bagley really seems like a guy that should be getting a little more love than he does. Would be very happy to get him.
Seven Costanza
AG
I'll be happy to regret this in a few years if he winds up being great, but Bagley looks like a rich man's Branden Wright to me.
Iowaggie
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

Awesome. Realistically we should be no worse than 5th. There is like a 4% chance we could draft 6th.

2007: Worst teams Memphis, Boston, Milwaukee

2007: Top three picks Portland (Greg Oden), Seattle (Kevin Durant), Atlanta (Al Horford)

(none of the worst 3 drafted in top 3)
94chem
Seven Costanza said:

I'll be happy to regret this in a few years if he winds up being great, but Bagley looks like a rich man's Branden Wright to me.

Brandan Wright? OK, I'm a UNC grad, so you can trust me on this one. Bagley >>>> Brandan Wright.
94chem
DannyDuberstein said:

Yeah, Bagley really seems like a guy that should be getting a little more love than he does. Would be very happy to get him.

1) Carter was more effective at times.
2) Bagley was injured and missed games.
3) Kansas won, so Bagley didn't get to showcase against Nova. This was the most interior dominated team that K had in...forever, and he still tried to mess it up with Allen, Trent, and Duval jacking up 3's.
Seven Costanza
AG
94chem said:

Seven Costanza said:

Brandan Wright? OK, I'm a UNC grad, so you can trust me on this one. Bagley >>>> Brandan Wright.
Not sure of the exact value of an > mark, but I acknowledge that he will be better than Brandan Wright (also acknowledging that I misspelled his name).
mavsfan4ever
AG
Seven Costanza said:

I do not want bagley at all. No offense to people who want him, but bagley seems like a player who every casual fan wants but who will be a big bust in the nba.

And I don't mean he won't have a career. Just that he won't be a great player like you are hoping for with a top 3 pick. His game just doesn't translate in my opinion.
mavsfan4ever
AG
I'm all in on doncic but we may not have a chance at him.
M.C. Swag
AG
Michael Porter would be my pick if his back gets cleared by the medical staff. And by 'cleared' i mean, "you have absolutely nothing to worry about at all. he's 100% g2g." Not some murky, well as long as he stretches it out and takes care of his body, blah blah. With a top 3 pick, I want to draft as sure of a thing as possible and the least reliable thing in the NBA world is a big man with back problems.

Otherwise I'd take Doncic.

This is assuming the Mavs get the 3rd pick. If we fall to 4 or 5, I think i'd take Mo Bamba.

Bagley intrigues the hell out of me, but if we're taking a player with an offensive skillset, I'd rather go Doncic or Porter.

Ayton
Porter (if healthy)
Doncic
Bagley
Bamba
Jaren Jackson

^my top guys in order for the Mavs.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.