***Official 2017-18 Dallas Mavs season thread***

31,533 Views | 304 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by M.C. Swag
True Anomaly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Since preseason started, let's move it over to the regular season thread.

No expectations this season other than entertaining basketball. And Lord knows I need it back in my life in the worst way

Last night's preseason opener had some great highlights:
fightinags2013
AG
Ugh. Seth out indefinitely
mavsfan4ever
AG
Well this sucks. Has anyone heard how long Curry is out for? A poster on another site said they were worried it may be for the season, but I haven't seen anything reported.
True Anomaly
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

Well this sucks. Has anyone heard how long Curry is out for? A poster on another site said they were worried it may be for the season, but I haven't seen anything reported.

No way it's that long

mavsfan4ever
AG
Oh that's good. Maybe it won't be that big of deal then. That quote makes it seem like he'd only miss a week or so of regular season games.
True Anomaly
AG
That's my thought as well.

After watching the preseason game last night, it seems they're trying to mesh DSJ with Dirk and JJ with Noel- which are both pretty good combos to have for your first and second team. Not that it necessarily spaces the floor well, but with Yogi and Barnes and Wes on the first team it can help open things up
True Anomaly
AG
Cuban just said on the Ticket that Seth should be back next week
94chem
Quote:

***Official 2017-18 Dallas Mavs season thread***
Do we have to?
mavsfan4ever
AG
Tix are super cheap for opening night. Guess I'm going to buy a couple just so I can say I was at DSJ's first game.
thirty-two
AG
Anyone know how I can watch the Mavs on TV in Austin (Spurs Market).

Is NBA League Pass my only option?
mavsfan4ever
AG
My cousin is able to set it up to where he can watch the Mavs and Dallas local channels from Austin. Not sure how he does it and it may not be technically legal. Other than knowing how to do something like that, I'm not sure what you can do besides league pass. Or I guess you could see if you could just purchase Fox Sports SW, or a package that includes all the Fox Sports channels.
True Anomaly
AG
Opening night!

JW
AG
Smith be good
DannyDuberstein
AG
16 points and 9 assists with 3 minutes left.
DannyDuberstein
AG
When you dont rebound or play D well, it will be a long season. Nice little 16 point 10 asst double double to start off a career tho.
Marty Byrde
Frustrating ending there but at least DSJ looked good w/the double double. Legs looked tired there at the end
DannyDuberstein
AG
The forearm shove to his back on that offensive putback did them in. There will be "rookie doesnt get calls" growing pains this year.
fightinags2013
AG
Don't understand Noel playing just 20 minutes. He was a BEAST out there tonight.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Smith was great, which is all I really care about this year. But it was soooo frustrating for Carlisle not to play Noel in the fourth. I literally don't understand his thinking. He was amazing and our only defensive presence and then he just doesn't play the last 9 and a half minutes (he went in for a defensive possession with 30 seconds left). Are we tanking in October?

Guess I'll be going to a lot of games for cheap bc i thinknwe may be even worse than I thought. But will still be fun to watch Dennis play all year.
PooDoo
AG
fightinags2013 said:

Don't understand Noel playing just 20 minutes. He was a BEAST out there tonight.

I think they are trying to keep him healthy.
mavsfan4ever
AG
For what? We have him on a one year deal. Unless he doesn't feel comfortable, might as well see what he can do playing more minutes.
True Anomaly
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

Smith was great, which is all I really care about this year. But it was soooo frustrating for Carlisle not to play Noel in the fourth. I literally don't understand his thinking. He was amazing and our only defensive presence and then he just doesn't play the last 9 and a half minutes (he went in for a defensive possession with 30 seconds left). Are we tanking in October?

Guess I'll be going to a lot of games for cheap bc i thinknwe may be even worse than I thought. But will still be fun to watch Dennis play all year.

So apparently Dirk had some influence to keeping Powell in and Noel out during that stretch in the 4th. And I think it would be completely foolish to assume "tanking" in the first game of the season. Not even the Nets are trying to tank in the first game of the season.

Great game last night, despite the L. Much faster pace, but we kinda figured that with DSJ running point.

I think last night also highlighted that if you simply switched Noel and Dirk this thing would be even more impressive to watch. JJ and Dirk already play well off each other, and to get DSJ and Noel to gel would propel the 1st team even more

And I think the woodslanger is the youngest to ever get a double-double in their NBA debut?
jeffdjohnson
I think Noel is healthy. I think it is just Carlisle playing some mind games. I don't like it. Noel should be starting games, finishing games and playing ~30 minutes. I don't care if Dirk and Noel aren't the perfect fit as starters, who cares. The Mavs aren't winning the title this year and starting is mostly an ego thing anyways. The Mavs can't afford to push a talented guy out the door. We'll see how it plays out, I don't know what goes on behind the scenes, but I don't trust what the Mavs are doing with Noel.

The goals for the season should be fairly simple. Get Smith Jr. ~30 mins per game, experience and keep him healthy. See how Noel fits with Smith Jr., keep him happy and re-sign him for market value. Same with Seth Curry who I like as a 6th man, although that is more luxury than necessity for a rebuilding team. Secondary goals are to use cap space in exchange for additional picks or assets, tank for a top 5 pick (still relies on luck) and see if Barnes has another level to jump. Bonus points for getting rid of the Wes Mathews or Dwight Powell contracts.
mavsfan4ever
AG
True Anomaly said:

mavsfan4ever said:

So apparently Dirk had some influence to keeping Powell in and Noel out during that stretch in the 4th. And I think it would be completely foolish to assume "tanking" in the first game of the season. Not even the Nets are trying to tank in the first game of the season.

Great game last night, despite the L. Much faster pace, but we kinda figured that with DSJ running point.

I think last night also highlighted that if you simply switched Noel and Dirk this thing would be even more impressive to watch. JJ and Dirk already play well off each other, and to get DSJ and Noel to gel would propel the 1st team even more

And I think the woodslanger is the youngest to ever get a double-double in their NBA debut
The tanking comment was tongue in cheek. But I literally see no reason for Noel not to play the 4th, other than Carlisle being a dick. It made absolutely no sense.

What do you mean when you said that apparently Dirk had some influence in keeping Powell in the game? Are you saying Dirk told Carlisle to play Powell in the 4th and not Noel?
mavsfan4ever
AG
jeffdjohnson said:

I think Noel is healthy. I think it is just Carlisle playing some mind games. I don't like it. Noel should be starting games, finishing games and playing ~30 minutes. I don't care if Dirk and Noel aren't the perfect fit as starters, who cares. The Mavs aren't winning the title this year and starting is mostly an ego thing anyways. The Mavs can't afford to push a talented guy out the door. We'll see how it plays out, I don't know what goes on behind the scenes, but I don't trust what the Mavs are doing with Noel.

The goals for the season should be fairly simple. Get Smith Jr. ~30 mins per game, experience and keep him healthy. See how Noel fits with Smith Jr., keep him happy and re-sign him for market value. Same with Seth Curry who I like as a 6th man, although that is more luxury than necessity for a rebuilding team. Secondary goals are to use cap space in exchange for additional picks or assets, tank for a top 5 pick (still relies on luck) and see if Barnes has another level to jump. Bonus points for getting rid of the Wes Mathews or Dwight Powell contracts.
Agreed.
thirty-two
AG
Couple of things that stood out to me last night:

1) Dennis Smith Jr. He good.
2) Dirk -18 / Nerlens +9... ouch for Dirk
3) 56 points in the paint for ATL... we gave up so many layups.
True Anomaly
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

True Anomaly said:

mavsfan4ever said:

And I think the woodslanger is the youngest to ever get a double-double in their NBA debut
The tanking comment was tongue in cheek. But I literally see no reason for Noel not to play the 4th, other than Carlisle being a dick. It made absolutely no sense.

What do you mean when you said that apparently Dirk had some influence in keeping Powell in the game? Are you saying Dirk told Carlisle to play Powell in the 4th and not Noel?
So I think it's total speculation- when I was listening to the Ticket post-game show last night after they had listened to Carlisle's comments, Jake and Followill had speculated that Dirk suggested to keep Powell in since they were trying to make some headway and it seemed to work for a little bit...until it didn't. I don't think Carlisle said directly that Dirk suggested it. It may be total BS
fightinags2013
AG
Mavs moneyball had a pretty scathing post about the lack of Noel minutes.
mavsfan4ever
AG
True Anomaly said:

mavsfan4ever said:

True Anomaly said:

mavsfan4ever said:

So I think it's total speculation- when I was listening to the Ticket post-game show last night after they had listened to Carlisle's comments, Jake and Followill had speculated that Dirk suggested to keep Powell in since they were trying to make some headway and it seemed to work for a little bit...until it didn't. I don't think Carlisle said directly that Dirk suggested it. It may be total BS
Gotcha. I just heard Bad Radio mention it. They acted like Dirk suggested to keep Powell in bc it was going well, rather than sub Dirk back in for him. But they acted like Noel was never in the discussion, which is still mind numbingly bad by Carlisle.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Uh oh. Smith is out tonight and tmr. Hopefully it's minor.
True Anomaly
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

Uh oh. Smith is out tonight and tmr. Hopefully it's minor.

Was really hoping to see him against Fox tonight
fightinags2013
AG
I'm done with Wes
Post removed:
by user
True Anomaly
AG
fightinags2013 said:

I'm done with Wes
Yeah, I think I am too

He has a player option after this season, apparently
PooDoo
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

For what? We have him on a one year deal. Unless he doesn't feel comfortable, might as well see what he can do playing more minutes.

Just guessing but the guy has bad knees so they are probably trying to increase his total minutes played by restricting his minutes played per game. See if restricting his minutes keeps him healthy and justifies offering another long term contract.

Or keep him healthy to trade.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.