*************************** The Memphis Grizzlies Thread ***************************

49,472 Views | 304 Replies | Last: 17 days ago by Iowaggie
Iowaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Also, Jam Green limited tonight with flu like symptoms
Gigem Trevas
quote:
This will be our gif for the entire series.

Iowaggie
AG
I'm pretty sure this was the home game highlight (from 3rd game).

Others tweeted out that it was the Spurs mascot

But it is just the jabroni mascot there to put Grizz over every year.
Here's last year's vs. Portland...you can see Kaman, Leonard, and others in the background watching

Iowaggie
AG
Other odds and ends from the media day.

I find this one the most interesting:

Iowaggie
AG
Dave Joerger out as coach of Grizzlies.

I wonder if Houston interviews him again.
Gigem Trevas
quote:
Dave Joerger out as coach of Grizzlies.

I wonder if Houston interviews him again.

What a terrible decision by the FO.
Ganondorf
AG
Dumb IMO. 50, 55, 42 (injury) wins a season. If not for the injuries he'd likely have won another 50.
Iowaggie
AG
I don't think the front office trusted Joerger, and given Joerger's comments about his input on the draft, which was basically saying he had none, I think there is a lot of dysfunction in the front office.

There's this multi headed monster of John Hollinger, Chris Wallace, Ed Stefanski, Joe Abadi/Robert Pera.

My guess is that there is/was a rift between Wallace and Joerger. Joerger wanted to interview for the Kings job, among others, or an extension. Wallace said he wanted leadership to be committed to the franchise....thus the firing.

Ironically, Wallace had also interviewed/expressed interest in the Kings previously this year.
Iowaggie
AG
Basically, when you get swept by a Texas team in the playoffs, you get fired before the next season is over.

Edited to add this from an end of April Com App article:

Joerger (sensibly) declined to discuss a possible contract extension. When asked how Lance Stephenson might fit into a bench role, Joerger said, "You'll have to ask the front office that."

Joerger then said that he was going to take some time off, and that "you won't see me until July 1." But when a reporter suggested Joerger would surely be involved in the draft process, Joerger said, simply, "No."

Maybe all that amounts to nothing. Joerger is physically and emotionally drained. But when Joerger was hired, the organization said management and the coaching staff would be working together, hand in glove. The Grizzlies have clearly not achieved that.
4stringAg
AG
Isn't this now the second successful head coach this front office has run afoul of and fired?
Guitarsoup
AG
He shouldn't have let everyone get injured.
Iowaggie
AG
quote:
Isn't this now the second successful head coach this front office has run afoul of and fired?

It goes a little bit further....

From Caulkins (Commercial Appeal):

Hubie Brown wins Coach of the Year one year. He's gone less than two months into the next.

Lionel Hollins takes the Grizzlies to the Western Conference Finals. Not long after, he's let go.

Joerger delivers an emotional, stirring tribute to the franchise and the city. Now Joerger has been dismissed.

"The decision was about ensuring stability for years to come," said Grizzlies general manager Chris Wallace.

He said "stability."

Hahahahahaha.

In the last four years, the Grizzlies have changed owners, changed general managers (twice) and changed coaches (twice). The only thing that remains is the need for shooting and draft picks who can play. There's plenty of stability in that.

But by the start of this year, Joerger and management were clashing openly. And by clashing, I mean, Joerger kept taking shots at management. He called the roster "old and slow." He gushed over the shooting guard the Grizzlies could have drafted but didn't, Rodney Hood. He felt betrayed when the Grizzlies traded away Jeff Green and Courtney Lee. When Joerger was asked at the end-of-the-season press conference if he would be involved in draft planning, he said, simply, "No."

So when Joerger's agent then asked for permission to talk to Sacramento, the Grizzlies decided enough was enough. Which, as I said, is totally understandable. Indeed, I understand both sides in this parting of ways. I just don't completely trust the side that remains.

Now Joerger would rather coach Sacramento and DeMarcus Cousins? That's a depressing look.
Ulrich
Hollins and Joerger were good for Memphis. They need a couple shooters, not more turnover.
Gigem Trevas
quote:
Hollins and Joerger were good for Memphis. They need a couple shooters, not more turnover.
Iowaggie
AG
Apparently Wallace is waiting for the end of the playoffs.

Dwane Casey (Toronto) and Terry Stotts both have expiring contracts, and in the NBA, there is that history of not renewing coaches after being eliminated from the playoffs.

Of course, Frank Vogel and JVG are mentioned.

Mark Jackson's name mentioned, but if Lionel and DJ were fired for not getting along with the front office, I don't see that getting better with MJ.

Ettore Messina of the Spurs also named as possibility.
Iowaggie
AG
Iowaggie
AG
Iowaggie
AG
David Fitzdale, HEAT assistant, is the rumored lead now for the coaching gig and has moved to the point of meeting with the owner. He's the dude in the black, not the white.

Iowaggie
AG
Hmmmm......

Iowaggie
AG
Director Craig Brewer and Justin Timberlake release Mike Conley Conductor video to begin the recruitment of Conley back to Memphis.

http://www.nba.com/grizzlies/video/mikeconley-our-conductor-160627
Iowaggie
AG
Looks like Timberlake had a role in the Parsons recruitment.

Iowaggie
AG
Owner Robert Pera tweeted this:

Iowaggie
AG
Game 1 of 2016 season in the books

Grizz take down the Wolves..

Iowaggie
AG
Finally, a parody of ZBo...pretty well done with the non-stop tips, non-dunks, jab step, and ball fakes...

Gigem Trevas
Iowaggie said:

Finally, a parody of ZBo...pretty well done with the non-stop tips, non-dunks, jab step, and ball fakes...

Iowaggie
AG
Down go the floppers

Iowaggie
AG
With a starting lineup that features only 1 late first rounder (Tony Allen), the Grizzlies took down the Warriors.

Gasol named Player of the Week with the Grizzlies on a 6 game winning streak that will likely end during the back to back games vs the Cavs.

Have mostly survived by playing the weaker teams of the East, its still nice to have a winning streak.

Iowaggie
AG
Down 24 to the Warriors...Grizzlies win in overtime....

Too bad they had just dropped 2 games to the Lakers and depleted Clippers.
Token
AG
That was a legendary comeback.
Gigem Trevas
Iowaggie said:

Down 24 to the Warriors...Grizzlies win in overtime....

Too bad they had just dropped 2 games to the Lakers and depleted Clippers.

Iowaggie
AG
For those who remember Glenn Cyprien

Iowaggie
AG
Realistically, Grizzlies probably will match up with either the Clippers, Rockets, or Spurs in the playoffs.

Tonight's game may have been a playoff preview, but it lacked any playoff intensity. Really not a great game either way...

Iowaggie
AG
Vince Carter turns 40 today....and is welcomed by a dance squad as he arrives at practice.

From yesterday...
Iowaggie
AG
So the Grizzlies have finished off the season series with 9 teams (3 from the West, 6 from the East), and still haven't played the Suns, nor the Spurs (nor Pacers).

They play Suns 3 of next 12.
They play Spurs early in February, and then not again until 2nd half of March, when they play them 3 times in 9 games.

That really seems odd.
Iowaggie
AG
So this happened at the end of a fairly unemotional and boring Grizzlies - Suns game.

Alex Len suspended, 3 others with fines. Suns guard Tyler Ulis and forward Marquese Chriss and Memphis Grizzlies guard Troy Daniels have each been fined $15,000. It really came from nowhere.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.