***Official Houston Rockets Quest for the Championship Thread II***

511,702 Views | 5949 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Hickory High
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Judging by staff's locking, I think its time for a new thread. Welcome Red Nation and others. This is a thread dedicated to Rocket and relevant NBA discussion by Rocket fans. This is not rivalries. This is not a place for trolls. There are plenty of other boards and threads for that. Please be respectful.

Lets finish off the off-season strong and move on to another exciting 2015-16 season.

As it stands now, here is our current roster. Its always fun to go back and look a fun months down the road and see how Morey changed things.

PG: Pat Beverley, Pablo Prigioni
SG: James Harden, Nick Johnson
SF: Trevor Ariza, Corey Brewer,Kostas Papanikolaou, Sam Dekker, KJ McDaniels (qualifying offer)
PF: Donatas Motiejunas, Terrence Jones, Montrezl Harrell
C: Dwight Howard, Clint Capela, Joey Dorsey

Bonfired
AG
Boy, that PG position looks pretty threadbare...hopefully there is a move coming during the summer. If that's not improved at all, it's trouble.

The guy I'm most intrigued with as far as his offseason work and progression is Capela...hopefully he gained some confidence this past postseason and will be a reliable backup 5, and if I dream a little, maybe even someone who can spot start during a back-to-back. Dwight will be 30 this season and has a lot of miles on the tires, so to speak. I wonder how many back-to-backs he'll play.

Bonfired
AG
...and Nick Johnson needs to improve the "shoot" in shooting guard drastically. Small sample size, granted, but 35% from the field and 24% from 3 is pretty wretched. His defensive potential is good, but a backup SG is going to need to give some punch offensively. He's another one that will hopefully take a few steps forward.
Farmer1906
AG
Clearly we can't stand pat with Bev, Prig, and Johnson(combo) at the 1. It sounds like OKC may clear some cap space to make the Kanter signing easier to swallow. Rumors are DJ Augustin is on the block with Cameron Payne just drafted. Than would be a nice cheap steal from OKC.

If not then I wish we'd swing for the fences and go after Bledsoe or Lawson.
Guitarsoup
AG
The problem with Bledsoe and Lawson is that they are paid so much more than most of the Rockets trade chips like KPap and TJones. You'd almost have to put Ariza in the trade, just to get the salaries close.

To not touch the main players (Bev, Harden, Ariza, DMo, DHo), you'd have to include KPapa, Jones, Capela, Dorsey and Johnson to make salaries match with Lawson. I think you'd need a little more for Bledsoe.
Ryan34
AG
Not sure Lawson and Bledsoe are realistic. Someone like DJ Augustin, Marcus Smart, Trey Burke, etc seems more attainable.

What's the deal with Josh Smith? Rumors are he's flirting with the Clippers. Are we not looking to bring him back or something?
Bonfired
AG
quote:
Clearly we can't stand pat with Bev, Prig, and Johnson(combo) at the 1. It sounds like OKC may clear some cap space to make the Kanter signing easier to swallow. Rumors are DJ Augustin is on the block with Cameron Payne just drafted. Than would be a nice cheap steal from OKC.

If not then I wish we'd swing for the fences and go after Bledsoe or Lawson.

Augustin would be a good add...serviceable 3-point shooter for his career (35%), a decade younger than Prigioni or Terry and has a reasonable contract (3MM this year, UFA in 2016-17).
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
Not sure Lawson and Bledsoe are realistic. Someone like DJ Augustin, Marcus Smart, Trey Burke, etc seems more attainable.

What's the deal with Josh Smith? Rumors are he's flirting with the Clippers. Are we not looking to bring him back or something?
Don't think the Clippers have any money to sign him. They used an exception on Paul Pierce already.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
The problem with Bledsoe and Lawson is that they are paid so much more than most of the Rockets trade chips like KPap and TJones. You'd almost have to put Ariza in the trade, just to get the salaries close.

To not touch the main players (Bev, Harden, Ariza, DMo, DHo), you'd have to include KPapa, Jones, Capela, Dorsey and Johnson to make salaries match with Lawson. I think you'd need a little more for Bledsoe.
I think they could work the money out if either team accepted our group of players. It would would probably have to involve Bev, KPap, and Jones or DMO to get the money right if we say Harden, Hohward, and Ariza (may not be) are untouchable. They're "swing for the fences" types like I said before.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:

I don't want Smoove back if we plan on keeping Jones & DMO for all of next year. I want to use our MLE on guards or better shooters.
Cris_Dishman
We don't need to use the MLE to get Smooth, it has already been covered in the other thread.
Guitarsoup
AG
Rockets were at 62mm of 70mm before resigning Bev or anyone else.

Bev is about 6mm, so that pushes them to 68mm, but without KJ McD. So the Rockets are effectively at the cap threshold, b/c KJ+Smoove = >2mm. So since there is no bird rights for Smoove, the Rockets have to use an exception if they want to sign him or anyone else.

Edit: Forgot Brewer is resigning. Bev+Brewer and Rockets are clearly over the cap and can only use exceptions to sign anyone except guys like KJ McDaniels.
Farmer1906
AG
Doesn't that put us ~ 5 M for the MLE? We could give him a small part of that with the DET money still coming in.
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
Doesn't that put us ~ 5 M for the MLE? We could give him a small part of that with the DET money still coming in.
MLE is ~5.5mm.

The more money he signs for, the more money he makes. Every dollar he signs for only takes a fraction off from the Detroit payoff. You can also split the MLE to sign two players.
Ryan34
AG
quote:
quote:
MLE is ~5.5mm.

The more money he signs for, the more money he makes. Every dollar he signs for only takes a fraction off from the Detroit payoff. You can also split the MLE to sign two players.

We can use the non-bird exception.
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
MLE is ~5.5mm.

Which is still just barely above the min salary that every team can offer.
Cris_Dishman
plus he would get money from Det which would total more than the MLE. Again, covered already.

Somebody would have to offer him a pretty good amount over the MLE for him to get any more money than the Rockets can offer with the non-Bird exception.
Ryan34
AG
If we pay him the non-bird exception of $2.5M, his total pay would be a little more than $7M. If another team offers him the full MLE of $5.5M, his total pay would be $8.5M.

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2517242-best-2015-nba-free-agency-landing-spots-for-houston-rockets-josh-smith
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
MLE is ~5.5mm.

Which is still just barely above the min salary that every team can offer.
I have enough trouble keeping up with all the NBA rules I believe the non bird for Josh would be ~2.5 M. League min would be ~1.4 M.
Guitarsoup
AG
The money from Detroit is largely irrelevant. He gets it no matter who he signs with and only a fraction of it is taken off when he signs his new contract. So the more he signs for, the more he makes. So it would benefit the Rockets the same as it benefits every other team in the league.
Cris_Dishman
Right so nobody can offer him any more than Rockets can offer with the non-Bird exception unless they want to offer him $8MM per year or something. Don't see that happening.

Also everyone else has to use MLE, Rockets only have to use non-Bird exception and both scenarios essentially get to the same amount. Also, no taxes in TX compared to LA or whoever else is offering the MLE.
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
Right so nobody can offer him any more than Rockets can offer with the non-Bird exception unless they want to offer him $8MM per year or something. Don't see that happening.
No, lots of teams, including Dallas, can offer more than the Rockets. If Smith worth tons more than that exception is a different question entirely.
Ryan34
AG
quote:
The money from Detroit is largely irrelevant. He gets it no matter who he signs with and only a fraction of it is taken off when he signs his new contract. So the more he signs for, the more he makes. So it would benefit the Rockets the same as it benefits every other team in the league.

It's not irrelevant because another team would have to offer substantially more to increase his total take home pay.
Cris_Dishman
Yes they can offer it, if somebody else wants to offer Smooth a multi year deal at $8MM+ per year then good luck to them.
k20dub
AG

Ryan34
AG
He'll probably be a Mav, right?
TexAgs1992
If Dallas does sign Deron Williams, they are locking themselves into the 10 seed and giving their pick to Boston. Cuban is delusional.
k20dub
AG
That's what Twitter is saying but they were saying something similar about another player a couple days ago.
Guitarsoup
AG
If I am Deron, I'd much rather go to Houston than Dallas. Much closer to a championship and his ankles don't have many more miles left before they are dust.
CFTXAG10
AG
Las Vegas Summer League Roster

Schedule

Game 1 (ESPN3) Friday July 10th features D League Select vs. Rockets 9:00pm (Cox Pavilion)

Game 2 (NBA TV) Sunday July 12th features Phoenix Suns vs. Rockets 3:30pm (Thomas and Mack Center)

Game 3 (ESPN3) Monday July 13th features Toronto Raptors vs. Rockets 9:00pm (Cox Pavilion)
CFTXAG10
AG
Dwight Howard @ Comic Con in San Diego w/ Iron Mike

zgood10
PoppaB05
AG
DWill would be a solid add at the right price. Someone who could come off the bench and take over ball handling duties for 15-20 minutes a game.
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
DWill would be a solid add at the right price. Someone who could come off the bench and take over ball handling duties for 15-20 minutes a game.
Doubt Deron signs with the Rockets if he thinks he is going to back up Pat Beverly.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
quote:
Doubt Deron signs with the Rockets if he thinks he is going to back up Pat Beverly.

True. I think he specifically wants to go to Dallas though.
Last Page
Page 1 of 171

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.