******BTHO Denver******

11,345 Views | 172 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by aggiedrjdub
taylorswift13_
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Any changes y'all would make to the starting lineup
HiddenAg2
To be honest I didn't expect much from this team this season and didn't think we would be a tourney team. We lost two of our best players to transfer and the transfers in aren't even playing major minutes. I didn't watch much of last week's game but we did have some nice shots from distance (albeit Lamar is just an awful team). But this effort tonight by both the coaches and players was really troubling. Offensively we missed about 7 point blank easy finishes in front of goal (a recurring theme the last several years) and the defense looked confused and lost most of the night. That shocked me because I thought we would be very strong on the back line.

This wasn't a fluke, Denver was the better team and much better coached tonight. They made very good halftime adjustments and dominated most of the second half. They actually looked more athletic that A&M if you can believe it. Which leads me to the obvious fact that this is probably the slowest, most plodding A&M team I can remember. We have no spark up front or tine midfield (unless McDonald decides to actually run with the ball) and cannot beat defenders on the outside. That's a big problem going forward.

We do seem to be missing some players to injury and Pirro and Lowery need to start for sure. Wilkinson is not the answer up top. Our best player is probably Beccera because her shooting ability, but she also had some real lapses in the midfield and missed assignments defensively. I think the coaches are still in a preseason mindset with all the line changes and combinations, and it's not working. They need to pick the best players and let them play.

Maybe this was just one bad night, but if we don't improve dramatically, this could be a very rough season and the calls for major change in the program are going to get louder.
stoneca
So much for coach G's RPI bonuses when you suck like we did tonight! Good gracious what a disgrace! Coach G says" after they see the facilities, where do I sign"! Too bad we don' t have the staff to coach them appropriately and get the required lineups and effort! What a disgrace not only to the good players we have but to the support of our fans!
oklaunion
AggieCrew44 said:

Aggie1205 said:

taylorswift13_ said:

I just can't stand how arrogant Coach G is! He tries selling this program for so much more than it is… we are not the team we were a decade ago! Recruits see that and fans see that…

Don't forget last year during the season Coach G told the media that the current goal scorers weren't good enough and they needed to go get transfers… we lose Maile Hayes… he brings in transfers with more of a pedigree than anyone we have on campus and doesn't start any of them

Regarding selling the program, what coach doesn't try to sell their program? Even if we aren't the same team, the coaches job is to try to sell the program at all times.
He/she is ranting
He/she has wanted Pat Henry gone the past few years.
taylorswift13_
Where's Mookie, we need his insight
stoneca
taylorswift13_ said:

Any changes y'all would make to the starting lineup
Definitely remove Jazz from the starting lineup! Why did we revert to the sideline cross to the middle strategy tonight when we have been going to the middle early and attacking there from the offset line we have in the first couple of games!?
taylorswift13_
MadDog73
AG
G keeps complaining about lack of NIL money. Denver must have a great NIL program.
txagpapi
AG
team looked the same as the last two games i've been. players are not putting out their best performances, and coaches are getting outcoached. for it being your full-time job, having some of the best facilities in the nation, the fanbase, and technology we have today, i'm surprised nobody has figured it out over there. mind blowing, but not surprised. hope the team can build from this and have a great season. culture needs to be a winning mentality.
jessexy
AG
Curious question: Where are Bella James and Quinn Cornog?

they were the best players in DFW in back-to-back years and that's usually a sure bet in recruiting.
MookieBlaylock
AG
taylorswift13_ said:

Where's Mookie, we need his insight

I am settling in to watch the game in my Coach G Super Roos - comes with built in skid marks for when playing a team with a pulse

32 years of the same bs

Pante and Calzada holding strong to the longer you are in the program the worse you get

Why were we subbing out entire units like it's hockey? That doesn't work at any level but U9
Peace2u
i agree that it feels like last year with the missed opportunities. However to blame this on effort is pure rubbish. Girls gave effort, as they generally do. The issue is that we are too direct. As soon as the opponent presses a little, our back line resorts to booting the ball with no idea where it's going (coaching issue) Just make the simple pass instead of going for the home run. If we simply possess the ball, the opponents will have less opportunities (not that hard to understand)

Two goals should have be enough to win this game, but if you're always giving them the ball, don't be surprised when they capitalize on those extra chances.

Backline was a complete mess, but not sure if the blame is on the players or coaches. I will put the blame on the coaches for either encouraging this play or allowing the style of play.

I do not agree that they were more athletic than us, they simply played better by keeping the ball for long stretches. When we finally got it back we simply booted it back to them. (Bad strategy).

I've been watching for years and we can no longer simply out run and out physical other teams, we actually have to play soccer which the coaches don't seem to realize.

We need more technical players and less tall/fast/strong players. If they happened to have all of these attributes that is ideal, but the reality is that typically those with athletic advantages generally don't work on the technical side of their game enough because they're able to dominate in club/high school with talent and god given abilities.

In short… stop booting the ball and play soccer

Probably another frustrating year watching
TMartin

The soccer program reminds me of the way A&M softball looked until some changes were made.
aggie-1997
AG
I agree with the overall theme. Felt like DU played with more intensity than we did, was much better at anticipating balls both offensively and defensively, controlled the game better and actually put their shots on goal. It was amazing how many shots we put up that weren't even close. This was a very frustrating game to watch. DU has a good team but would have never thought they would have controlled the momentum, yet we gave it to them every chance we could.
tamufan
I want to be optimistic for the future. One disappointing game. A new year with lots of new players to work into the lineup. A huge roster. I understand the temptation to rush to judgement, since there is a fear that this game could signal another season like the previous few. But for me, I will give it a few more games. I am hoping to look back on this game as a turning point.

Best prophetic words posted here (from page one, and deserving of many stars) ==> "Pante misses an open goal after what should have been a beautiful assist. That kind of stuff is the difference between an "easy win" and a shocking loss."

(I am a fan of Pante, but that was a really bad look.)

Goalkeeper: Maybe it is just me, but it seemed like she was moving in slow motion. I agree the back line allowed way too many opportunities, but some of those shots looked marginally savable. Good positioning, but just seemed slow. And to be clear, this game did not hinge on who was in goal for us.

Defense: Well, my expert analysis is our D was 'really bad'. I suggest not turning over the ball in our defensive half. And, please be sure to mark those runners on the outside.

Midfield: Center mids, please move to an open position for a pass from the back line. I know you have played soccer for many years. Can't we try to give the player in possession of the ball more than a single option?

Forwards/attacking mids: Well, idk, I guess tonight we were unlucky. Missing open shots, booting the ball wide, high, hitting posts, maybe that is all just unlucky. If it becomes routine, well, then we will want a different explanation.

Also, when you try repeatedly to beat your opponent with speed (e.g., on the outside right), and it repeatedly does not work, perhaps it is a good idea to try something different. Maybe accept that they are as fast as you and try to beat them with skill or with a pass.

Coaching. Pregame optimism, preseason optimism, of course, what do you expect? Optimism for the fans, and optimism/motivation for the players. Colin Powell said 'optimism is a force multiplier' and we certainly need a force multiplier! I really don't think you can fault any coach for optimism, and I would not call it arrogance. In fact, you can fault a coach for lack of optimism!

I do agree that in the final evaluation it is actions, not words. Or maybe rephrased as results, not words. I doubt coaches need to be reminded of this. They live in a pressure cooker.

The comment that some players not showing much improvement over their years in aggieland does ring true. Still, it is easy to overestimate how much improvement can be expected. Perhaps with soccer, like many things, it is the inputs that matter most. Other things are important, but we need to win the recruiting wars to win the games.
hsvag
Been watching G's teams for years. I could pile on several of the issues discussed, but just to focus on shooting and not putting the ball on frame… my buddy and I have a term we use, KTN. That can stand for Kick to Navasota or Kick to Northgate, depending on which direction we are going, i.e., the tendency to kick it high and hard. In a non-shooting sense, it can also stand for Kick to Nowhere, which are the long kicks forward to no one in particular, and usually over the end line.

AggieCrew44
AG
People that understand soccer realize our defensive issues are more the lack of a midfield than issues with the actual back 4. They are constantly having to step to apply pressure because we have no center mid presence and it leaves them exposed
Soccer1
The inability to finish against quality opponents has continued into this season. As others have mentioned the backline killed possession last night with the constant long ball. Our backline has to have the highest turnover rate in the SEC. Focus needs to be on connecting with the midfield. If nothing is there don't force it and reset. Blame the coaches for this style of play.

Denver was a good possession team. They did a better job of controlling and winning balls in the midfield. Our midfielders looked slow and need to do a better job getting back defensively. As mentioned previously, one of our better offensive players did a poor job of picking up players defensively leaving large holes in the midfield. You are either going to have to play with two 6's or an 8 who can handle getting up and down the field in order to offset the lack of defense in the middle of the field.

This is a team that relies a lot on athleticisms. Focus needs to be on possession and build up into your opponents third. However, from what I've seen over the years I and don't expect much of change. We were the bigger, stronger, faster team tonight and the team with better possession won. At the same time finishing cost us the game. The upcoming Baylor and TCU games should tell us a lot about this team before going into SEC play.
MookieBlaylock
AG
AggieCrew44 said:

People that understand soccer realize our defensive issues are more the lack of a midfield than issues with the actual back 4. They are constantly having to step to apply pressure because we have no center mid presence and it leaves them exposed

Yeah that wasn't the problem on any of the 3 goals

AggieCrew44
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

AggieCrew44 said:

Yeah that wasn't the problem on any of the 3 goals

It definitely was
MookieBlaylock
AG
My bad your FIfA skills are undeniable
Anchorhold
My understanding is that we lost at home to the University of Denver, and that I might be less upset if it had been played on ice and with sticks.
AggieCrew44
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

My bad your FIfA skills are undeniable

Well I didn't learn soccer on FIFA, but rather the Olympic development program

We continually have a massive gap between the front line and the back line. The midfield disappears for long stretches. They are all much more finesse players than workhorses. It encourages our defenders to "clear" the ball rather than work through the midfield because they are constantly chasing the run of play rather than holding shape. Someone has to pressure the ball, and the midfield rarely does
Peace2u
We'll have agree to disagree and there's nothing wrong with that. I will counter your argument as to why the midfield disappears. They disappear for long stretches because the defense is simply "clearing"/booting the ball and bypassing the midfield altogether way too many times

They have the option to pass backwards/switch the ball until they have a lane to pass instead of kicking 30 yards down the field every time.

Speaking of, this type of style is simply tough on all fowards/attackiing players having to sprint 30 yards every time and then expect them to defend and then sprint again after we "clear" the ball. (Rinse and repeat).

And then we have people here say they are not in shape/need to work harder. Perhaps we should work smarter? Let's try keeping the ball for longer stretches and allow them to recover after sprinting consistently.

Playing direct is great when used periodically to keep their defense honest, but it should not be your main strategy against good teams. It's interesting that we find the midfield when will play sub-par teams, but it's very obvious what we will do against good teams. That is called playing scared. Once again, I blame the coaches and not the player because they can remedy this quickly.

Even my beloved Premier league have moved away from playing like this.. check out the most successful teams whether overseas or college teams.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Anchorhold said:

My understanding is that we lost at home to the University of Denver, and that I might be less upset if it had been played on ice and with sticks.

Explains the line changes and the icing
Soccer1
First home loss by A&M to a team out of the Power 4 leagues since losing to Butler in 2017.
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
Soccer1 said:

First home loss by A&M to a team out of the Power 4 leagues since losing to Butler in 2017.
I don't know how anyone can justify keeping Coach G at this point. He should have been gone about 5 years ago....this is just like keeping Childress around when it was clear he couldn't get the job done.
aggiedrjdub
AG
It is time for a change but be careful what you wish for. Gary Blair "retired" and the WBB program hasn't progressed with Joni. One could counter with Trisha Ford being a success almost immediately for the softball program. You can see the coaches that have energy and passion for what they do, and you can pick out the coaches that are comfortable and unwilling to adapt or change. Coach G deserves to be celebrated for what he built, but past success should not guarantee continued employment (this isn't the supreme court). Are there better coaches out there? Yes, 100% yes. Will A&M do what needs to be done to bring them in? It appears, no.
Gig'em Aggies! c/o '98 W H O O P!
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
aggiedrjdub said:

It is time for a change but be careful what you wish for. Gary Blair "retired" and the WBB program hasn't progressed with Joni. One could counter with Trisha Ford being a success almost immediately for the softball program. You can see the coaches that have energy and passion for what they do, and you can pick out the coaches that are comfortable and unwilling to adapt or change. Coach G deserves to be celebrated for what he built, but past success should not guarantee continued employment (this isn't the supreme court). Are there better coaches out there? Yes, 100% yes. Will A&M do what needs to be done to bring them in? It appears, no.

Maybe Alberts will be more aggressive. This better be Joni's last season if we don't see significant improvement. To me, it's already clear she won't get it done either.
Ag1188
AG
Quote:

This game may be an awakening call to our team!
Hopefully to our AD too. Time for a total reboot this offseason starting at the top of the program.
Ag1188
AG
TRM said:

blake2003 said:

The program decline continues unabated.
We're in another Coach Blair situation, good enough to not be fired, but not as good as we should be.
Coach Blair was a few years removed from a great season that either won the SEC or came close. This guy running the soccer team ain't even relevant in awhile.
Ag1188
AG
HowdyTexasAggies said:

aggiedrjdub said:

Maybe Alberts will be more aggressive. This better be Joni's last season if we don't see significant improvement. To me, it's already clear she won't get it done either.
I imagine we'll give Joni a 4th season, but she wasn't a slam-dunk candidate when we hired her given her relative lack of success at Georgia. It would still be a little untoward to get rid of her after 3 seasons given what she inherited and her recruiting-connections.

Joni has a terrible basketball arena she plays in and probably lacks NIL vs competitors, so she deserves some patience from us given its only Year 3 upcoming. Buzz has had lots of time and can't get out of Round 2.
aggiedrjdub
AG
I don't disagree with the patience comment re: Joni. She will be given 2-3 more years I would assume. It's just especially obvious to see what exceptional/eager coaches can do after the turnaround Ford had with the softball program. I don't believe it's all about NIL and having a better stadium. It factors in for sure, but elite coaches get the recruits. They find a way and they win. I think G is complacent and his formations are stagnant. He's hard headed and will not change because he doesn't have to. He's had a fine career, but what we see now is what it will continue to be until he's replaced or he retires.
Gig'em Aggies! c/o '98 W H O O P!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.