So who will be the new USMNT Manager?

29,789 Views | 486 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Rudyjax
AG@RICE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
His cruddy resume was still the best we've ever produced as a country. I can understand acknowledging he still had plenty to prove, but there was no doubt he had better experience and achievements than Greg.

Since that decision, Marsch got Canada out of a more difficult group than the one we floundered in. At this point there is little debate left...he is clearly a waaaaay better manager than Greg.

The decision to go back to Greg while Marsch was available is no longer defendable. Now we have to live with the embarrassing consequences of that decision.
jeffk
AG
AG@RICE said:

At this point there is little debate left...he is clearly a waaaaay better manager than Greg.

Yeah, no. I'm not conceding that point just yet. They were really fortunate to get out of their group and looked bad in every game they've played in Copa. He might get there, but it's in no way a settled comparison for me.
oh no
AG
yeah; let's tap the brakes and see how Canada's next match goes. Jesse's first Canada squad should have lost to Argentina about 0-6 instead of only 0-2, just like USA should have beaten Boliva about 6-0 instead of 2-0. ...and Canada beat Peru 1-0 while Peru was on a RC and only drew with Chile 0-0 because Chile was on a RC...
PatAg
AG
We'll follow a process, Im sure.
carl spacklers hat
AG@RICE said:

They screwed the pooch when they didn't give the job to Marsch. The US isn't going to attract a top level international manager in their prime. We had an opportunity to turn the reigns over to the best coach we've ever produced and the powers that be intentionally snubbed him. Now we are left scrambling to replace a coach that has demonstrated on numerous occasions that he isn't up to par.

USSF is full of trash. Nepotism, greed and stupidity. Need to clean out the entire organization, not just Greg.
USSF could screw up a wet dream. They'll fumble this one, too, if they even fire Berhalter.
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
Dre_00
oh no said:

yeah; let's tap the brakes and see how Canada's next match goes. Jesse's first Canada squad should have lost to Argentina about 0-6 instead of only 0-2, just like USA should have beaten Boliva about 6-0 instead of 2-0. ...and Canada beat Peru 1-0 while Peru was on a RC and only drew with Chile 0-0 because Chile was on a RC...

Egggggxactly.

Canada played more than 90 minutes of their group games up a man. And they still barely beat one of those teams and drew the other. You could strongly argue that the only difference between the US and Canada is that one had a critical red card go against it and the other two critical red cards help them.
jessexy
AG
Oscar Pareja
deadbq03
AG
Marsch spent a year off in Italy, pimping himself out for lots of jobs and ended up with … Canada.

USSF isn't the only organization that considered him and then said "Nope".

I rooted for him at both Leipzig and Leeds - and saw the same patterns of failure at both (at different ends of a competitive table). His biggest weaknesses at both spots is also precisely our biggest weakness now: we can't score goals. His teams got into the final third and then couldn't do anything. He isn't the right guy to fix us when that's our same problem.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Who is the guy from Houston coaching in germany that just got his team promoted? Maybe throw his name in the hat.
deadbq03
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

Who is the guy from Houston coaching in germany that just got his team promoted? Maybe throw his name in the hat.
Fabian Hurzler - and he just got hired by Brighton, so he's not an option.
tysker
AG
USMNT fans will need to accept that the next US manager will likely not have significantly better results than Gregg. Getting another 3-5% out of the players with formation, tactics, and subs may have gotten the team through the group stage but would it have been enough to beat Colombia or Brazil?

We'll get who we get and yet many will still throw a fit.
Furlock Bones
AG
What is annoying is that we have improved on overall skill level. But it is evident we have lost a bit of the fighting spirit.
Pahdz
BJ's out...took the Nashville MLS job.

Sign that GGG is really on the way out?
Rudyjax
AG
tysker said:

USMNT fans will need to accept that the next US manager will likely not have significantly better results than Gregg. Getting another 3-5% out of the players with formation, tactics, and subs may have gotten the team through the group stage but would it have been enough to beat Colombia or Brazil?

We'll get who we get and yet many will still throw a fit.
No, but at least it gets us through group stage.

deadbq03
AG
I don't think it's that dire at all. We looked better under BJ Callahan… we can (theoretically) find someone even better than that.

Tactics are only part of the problem. The bigger problem for me, as Mr. Bones mentioned - is attitude.

Ggg signaling to players that the Panama game was 1-1 was a prime example of how he fostered that lack of fighting spirit we see now. I'm sure he meant it as a way to encourage, not be lax, but it had the opposite effect. I don't think it's coincidental that they scored on us almost immediately after he did that.

These players are way too comfortable with Ggg.
deadbq03
AG
Pahdz said:

BJ's out...took the Nashville MLS job.

Sign that GGG is really on the way out?
Thats been in the works for awhile… he was likely just being respectful and waiting till this tournament was over to make it official.
oh no
AG
Pay a new manager with only this on the slate for the next year and then whatever friendlies they can find in fall 2025/spring 2026 while everyone else is trying to qualify for the WC that we auto-qualify for:

Sept 2024: friendlies vs Canada and New Zealand
Oct 2024: friendly vs Panama and one more not scheduled yet(?)
Nov 2024: CONCACAF Nations League quarterfinals
March 2025: CONCACAF Nations League semi-final and final (if they won in November, otherwise, friendlies)
summer 2025: CONCACAF Gold Cup

Quote:

A myriad of scheduling conflicts will likely determine how competitive the USMNT's schedule will be as they prepare for the 2026 World Cup. Regional clashes may dominate the calendar for the next year -- in addition to the friendlies already on the schedule, the Concacaf Nations League could take away two international windows and next summer's focus will be on the Gold Cup.
Quote:

In addition to one yet-to-be-named opponent the U.S. will face in October, though, there will be six international windows -- and most likely just 12 games -- for the team to work with. It means the U.S. will have a very limited window of opportunity to improve before the 2026 World Cup rolls around in less than two years.
Quote:

In theory, there's a wide range of strong teams the U.S. can play against in those windows. Most teams, though, will be bogged down with their own scheduling commitments, chiefly World Cup qualifying. While most continents will wrap up their qualifying campaigns by the end of 2025, Europe's will run until the penultimate international window before the World Cup in March of 2026. Teams competing in qualifiers will have chances to sneak away for friendlies, but it will be difficult, so we will have to wait to see how stacked the U.S. schedule is for the next couple of years.

not a lot of action. Do you pay someone to spend a year and see if he can win the Gold Cup next summer with this group? If he does, he's got the next year to see if he can get to knockouts or QF in the WC at home. If he does, he has another cycle and it's a 6 year gig instead of a 1-2 year gig.
oh no
AG
tysker
AG
deadbq03 said:

I don't think it's that dire at all. We looked better under BJ Callahan… we can (theoretically) find someone even better than that.

Tactics are only part of the problem. The bigger problem for me, as Mr. Bones mentioned - is attitude.

Ggg signaling to players that the Panama game was 1-1 was a prime example of how he fostered that lack of fighting spirit we see now. I'm sure he meant it as a way to encourage, not be lax, but it had the opposite effect. I don't think it's coincidental that they scored on us almost immediately after he did that.

I dont disagree at all. I think Gregg's style is to make the players accountable to each other, as evidenced by his handling of Gio. That works great in a practice setting, but I'm not sure it produces results at an NT level where most of your games, IMO, should be approached as single elimination.

This team needs Iversons, not a bunch of guys who enjoy getting together a few times a year and drinking Truly and Michelob Ultra after beating Mexico.
Rudyjax
AG
tysker said:

deadbq03 said:

I dont disagree at all. I think Gregg's style is to make the players accountable to each other, as evidenced by his handling of Gio. That works great in a practice setting, but I'm not sure it produces results at an NT level where most of your games, IMO, should be approached as single elimination.

This team needs Iversons, not a bunch of guys who enjoy getting together a few times a year and drinking Truly and Michelob Ultra after beating Mexico.
I think the guys at the top feel they deserve their spot on the team similar to what happened on the wnt except these guys have accomplished little.

We just need more high end players and we don't have enough.

France, Germany, England, Brasil, Argentina, Spain, Netherlands, Belgium, etc. players at the top of their game, feel like they need to bring their all to make the team. (Obvious exceptions for the truly elite.)

Rudyjax
AG
tysker
AG
Quote:

France, Germany, England, Brasil, Argentina, Spain, Netherlands, Belgium, etc. players at the top of their game, feel like they need to bring their all to make the team. (Obvious exceptions for the truly elite.)
Not to pile on the players, more the player pool, but would guys like Weston, Weah, CCV, Scally, and Wright touch the field for the countries you listed? I mean Shaq Moore played meaningful minutes in an elimination game this week.
Rudyjax
AG
tysker said:

Quote:

Not to pile on the players, more the player pool, but would guys like Weston, Weah, CCV, Scally, and Wright touch the field for the countries you listed? I mean Shaq Moore played meaningful minutes in an elimination game this week.

i is smart
AG
I recognize that the federation is collectively awful, but it seems like Crocker and Cindy Parlow Cone (USSF President) should be specifically called out more and feeling the heat.
jeffk
AG
oh no said:

Dammmmmmmn. That's pretty huge actually.
Dre_00
That is incredibly cringe if you ask me.
TXAggie2011
AG
I don't know if it's "cringe" but I also don't think anyone at USSF is saying "oh my, we must act, AO wrote a letter."
jeffk
AG
Oh no, it's cringe?

I guess I don't mind it. Supporters groups in other nations are pretty vocal about expressing themselves to management. It's atypical for the US, but current USSF leadership seems to think they can **** on fans with exorbitant ticket prices and paying consultancy groups to run a search process that leads them to rehire a guy who got the job largely through nepotism. They need to be reminded on occasion that fans see what they're doing.
Dre_00
I honestly don't remember ever seeing a supporters group making a formal announcement for a manager to be fired. Lots of statements and even protests related to ownership, ticket prices, state of the club etc. but never seen a "we call on you to fire our manager" announcement.

It's cringe (yeah, I said it again), because it's a collective feeling that's likely not rooted in a lot of rationality (even if the feeling is likely very valid and correct). I would almost equate "Fire Berhalter" message to "Bench Weah for the red card" message (don't laugh...seen a lot of people suggesting it).

Also it feels like such a small, unnecessary thing to make a formal declaration on...so much so that it almost comes off as preening. Oh, AO thinks that the coach should be fired? Could have never guessed that based on the universal fan sentiment that is already blatantly obvious. Totally needed that AO declaration in order to really understand fan sentiment.

But mostly it's cringe (there it is again) because it's merely a symptom of a much larger issue that they should be making formal announcements on but aren't (or at least not at this time...maybe they have in the past). Maybe even taking protest action on. As you rightly say, the issue fundamentally isn't Berhalter. It's the people at USSF...the decision makers. If they want to make a statement, make a statement that calls out the source of the problem. When United protested the state of their club, their supporters groups didn't come out and say "Fire Mourinho" or "Get rid of Pogba". They said "sell the club Glazers because you are horrible decision makers who are ruining our club". AO has what, tens of thousands of members? Thousands present at every game? If they really want to illicit change, put their weight behind fan boycotts until USSF is fundamentally changed and stop wasting time with self important, irrelevant declarations that achieve next to nothing.

Consider me thoroughly unimpressed.
Rudyjax
AG
Liverpudlians, why or why not Klopp?
TRM
AG
Rudyjax
AG
It been rumored they're not making a change unless there's a backlash.

They're literally doing what the rumors asked to them to do.

And I would think some of those folks have or are given insight.

Call it cringe if you want, but if it doesn't affect you.
jeffk
AG
Rudyjax said:

Because I love him too much to subject him to this job.
Rudyjax
AG
jeffk said:

Rudyjax said:

Because I love him too much to subject him to this job.

jeffk
AG
Fair enough. And we might see some collective action taken over the next year by supporters groups if USSF leadership decide to stick it with Berhalter. I think we've reached a tipping point here though because we're the host in 2026. Folks want to showcase on a big stage how far we've come as a nation with regard to our soccer culture (and I do think we've made incredible progress over the past decade). Fielding a competitive squad in an international tournament is the last missing piece so to speak in that move forward. They see the potential with this team and are ready for it to take the next step. And if a little social pressure helps move the ball down the field faster, folks are ready to do that. Statements like this aren't the last step but one of the first. Next will come boycotts and the like if the Fed leadership continue to be bullheaded.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.