******BTHO Vanderbilt******

8,544 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Expert Analysis
Gap
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Why did Kenna Caldwell lose her job?

Can a "media" person please ask?
HiddenAg2
Tonight's performance was really unsettling. I understand that sometimes the momentum rolls over you like a tide but losing 6-0 is just pathetic and tells me the team basically quit. I don't think I've ever seen that from an A&M soccer team. It's the 2nd worst loss in program history, behind only a 7-0 thrashing by Nebraska back in the 1998 NCAA Tournament. The coaches really need to do some soul searching and get this team ready to play in a must win game against Alabama on Sunday.

The backline was in complete disarray with a GK that didn't communicate well with them, resulting in 3 botched goals that should never have happened. I thought it was unkind to leave McClellan in the game after the 4th goal. Caldwell or someone else should have come in at that point. We continue to play a high line when we don't have the foot speed to recover when teams kick the ball over us. Vandy scored 3 goals by kicking long and running past us to set up those chances. There were multiple goals where defenders and midfielders didn't even both to mark players running into the box. It was a shambles.

The front line attackers played okay in the first 20 minutes as we had good possession in the offensive third, but the issue that keeps biting us is the final touch pass to a waiting striker to take the shot on goal. Touch is the hardest part of soccer to teach, so this is something that must be emphasized in recruiting in the future. But once things went south, the offense basically gave up.

We desperately need a central midfielder via the transfer portal for next season because right now we don't have that player on the roster. It affects the entire possession game that Coach G wants to play, so we are not able to even set up our offense consistently. This has probably been the single biggest reason why the program has declined so rapidly in the past 3 seasons.

Right now it's unlikely that A&M will make the NCAA tournament. With an RPI of 65 and three tough road matches left, including a home match against South Carolina, it's a tough ask for this group. But if I were coaching I would have emptied the entire bench to send a message to this group. Tonight's effort was not acceptable and didn't represent their school with pride. That's when fans begin to tune out. I hope they can turn this around and finish the season strong.
missinAggieland
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

missinAggieland said:

Straight up embarrassing.

I'm sitting watching this live. Was so looking forward to watching them play - we rarely get to since we live in Nashville.

Good grief. Never have I seen Vandy boat race our team.

Just embarrassing effort all around.

How do we go from 4-0 over Ole Miss to this?

Yell something so we can have proof of life

So sorry didn't see this in time. I'm pretty sure some of this game sucked actual life out of me.

Good thing - I board a plane at 5 am to head to CS. So, I'll be at the Bama games this weekend.
taylorswift13_
Don't worry Bjork extended Coach G for 4 more years last year! Got him under contract until 2026
HiddenAg2
taylorswift13_ said:

Don't worry Bjork extended Coach G for 4 more years last year! Got him under contract until 2026
Would be interested to know if there is a buyout clause in the contract. If we finish with another losing record this year, it's going to be interesting. The trajectory of the program is now clear so Bjork has to ask himself is there hope for the future? If the answer is 'no', then a change needs to be made. I still think Coach G gets at least 1 more year to turn this around.
MookieBlaylock
AG
1 more year for 31 straight
Ag4eva95
Just curious. 1 year because of the contract? I feel like this was this year was make it or break it. Going to finish a record low in rpi
fletch01
AG
I am thankful for what G has started here and he deserves to be celebrated for the program he's built.

He just doesn't seem able (or is unwilling) to change his tactics to suit his roster. You should never lose a game 6-0 to a team that doesn't have a clear overall talent advantage. Just brutal.

Luckily, there's still time to right the ship. But he has to go back to the drawing board and change up some things, or the season could head further south quickly.
Expert Analysis
AG
Dang, I get back from soccer practice and watch this ass whooping. One of the worst games I have ever seen us play. I though we may have had a little momentum going after getting a couple wins but that was squashed quick in this one. Back line was terrible. Too much kick ball from them, poor marking and general disarray. We need a point this week. A win Sunday will make up for this loss.
wangus12
AG
Well that was a massive disaster
aggiedrjdub
AG
fletch01 said:

I am thankful for what G has started here and he deserves to be celebrated for the program he's built.

He just doesn't seem able (or is unwilling) to change his tactics to suit his roster. You should never lose a game 6-0 to a team that doesn't have a clear overall talent advantage. Just brutal.

Luckily, there's still time to right the ship. But he has to go back to the drawing board and change up some things, or the season could head further south quickly.
WBB went thru this with Gary Blair. Trailblazer and hall of famer, but it was time for him to retire/move on. Might have stayed a year too long but was so gracious in welcoming Coach Taylor.

A 6-0 loss at this level is a gut punch and seems like a statement from the team.
Soccer1
We play too direct and can't hold possession. This resulted in us defending most of the night. Rough night for the defense. Coaches have to get the backline connecting with the midfield. Defenders turn the ball over too much. Margo M. was launching balls all night. Unfortunately, it appears the coaches are ok with this style of play. Armenta had a rough night defending on the outside as she was beat around the corner a few times which resulted in goals. We were too exposed in the middle with only Pounds. We need to go with two holding mids. I'd pair Leb with Pounds. Beccerra and Boeckmann should be rotated in the attacking mid. Very questionable move not starting Hayes. Caldwell needs to start the Bama game. Not sure what she did to get benched. Gotta get a win Sunday if we have any chance to salvage this season. I'm very interested to see what type of adjustments we make for Sunday and if we decide to play possession or kickball.
Gap
AG
aggiedrjdub said:

fletch01 said:

WBB went thru this with Gary Blair. Trailblazer and hall of famer, but it was time for him to retire/move on. Might have stayed a year too long but was so gracious in welcoming Coach Taylor.

Gary had one year that wasn't either really good or excellent and that was his final season which was a mess.

2021-22 - a mess

2020-21 - SEC champs at 13-1, beat South Carolina head to head at Reed to close the regular season and accomplish that, were ranked #2 in the nation after that, we lost to Joni's Georgia team in the SEC tourney and were a #2 national seed. Sweet 16.

2019-20 - 3rd in SEC, Covid cancelled NCAA tourney

2018-19 - 12-4 in SEC, 3rd in SEC, NCAA Sweet 16

2017-18 - 11-5 in SEC, 4th in SEC, NCAA Sweet 16.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Gap said:

aggiedrjdub said:

fletch01 said:

Gary had one year that wasn't either really good or excellent and that was his final season which was a mess.

2021-22 - a mess

2020-21 - SEC champs at 13-1, beat South Carolina head to head at Reed to close the regular season and accomplish that, were ranked #2 in the nation after that, we lost to Joni's Georgia team in the SEC tourney and were a #2 national seed. Sweet 16.

2019-20 - 3rd in SEC, Covid cancelled NCAA tourney

2018-19 - 12-4 in SEC, 3rd in SEC, NCAA Sweet 16

2017-18 - 11-5 in SEC, 4th in SEC, NCAA Sweet 16.
Not to debate this on the soccer forum. I don't disagree that Gary had a good tenure, but we both know we were consistently out recruited and lost significant ground on those fronts to South Carolina, Tennessee, LSU among others. 2020-21 was a great year with an experienced team that could manage Coach Blair's set pieces and half court offense. Once that experience left, the mess ensued - we didn't have the recruits to compete.

Regardless - I love what he built; I just think the game passed him by, and I think I see a correlation happening with the soccer team.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Anyone ever get an answer on Hayes and Caldwell benchings?

He moved his CM to forward and she never touched the ball
And the backup keeper gave up some terrible goals and didn't lead the defense
Giggem
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

He moved his CM to forward and she never touched the ball

Did Pounds move up to the front line? I didn't notice that
mullokmotx
AG
I believe Boeckmann and McDonald started at forward last night.
mullokag
Giggem
AG
Oh, okay. He's talking about Boeckmann
MookieBlaylock
AG
Yep a terrible forward line with a CM and RH

Why can't he just play ?

Smith.Hayes

Pante Becccerra Boeckerman McDonald

Nothing else is working
Expert Analysis
AG
We have played 1 or 2 holding mids all year with 4 on the back line. Couple posts earlier calling for 2 holding mids and you calling for none.
This is really the situation the coaches have to deal with. Nothing has worked well. We have a bunch of pieces but they just don't go together. We don't really have a style of play or identity to force the team to play too.
I like G but his time is short if he cannot right the ship and show a positive direction. A hand in the design renovations at an already awesome soccer facility is an attractive selling point to a new coach.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.