******BTHO TCU******

6,336 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
CDub06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Deflating. They gave her the leeway to take that ball to the goal.
RockW1997
AG
We have no goal scores. Never put a shot do the middle.
BQ_90
AG
taylorswift13 said:

Coach G you are done

Bjork just extended the contract he's not going anywhere
taylorswift13
AG
Lol I know of the idiotic moves Bjork always makes
Rambotx
MarcAg
AG
BQ_90 said:

taylorswift13 said:

Coach G you are done

Bjork just extended the contract he's not going anywhere

Tell him to retire and then we will name the stadium after him.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Rince, repeat, lose again
MadDog73
AG
I think we sailed past Coach G's expiration date. Sad because I like him and want him to succeed.
MookieBlaylock
AG
The buyout can't be much - way too much talent
mullokmotx
AG
Sometimes it's just not working but when it is not working for everyone it is maddening. When our player did not get to that loose ball (I don't know how far away she was) I had a bad feeling. We made the TCU keeper the Big 12 defensive player of the week and put her on the Top Drawer Soccer Team of the Week.
By my count that was the 8th game since the start of the 2021 season that we have given up a tying or losing goal in the last 5 minutes.
That was our last non-conference game against a Power 5 team this season and since the start of the 2021 season we are 8-18-8 against Power 5 teams.
mullokag
Gap
AG
The non-conference was a train wreck beyond what anyone here had expected. We have 3 left but none will move the needle much in a positive direction - Grambling, Rice, and Texas Southern.
HiddenAg2
I know it's still early, but A&M is not in a good position to make a run at the NCAA tournament. Currently #168 in the RPI (last in the SEC) and sitting at a pretty shocking 1-3-1 record through 5 games, A&M has to find someone who can put the ball in the back of the net or we will waste the best collection of talent we've had since the SEC-winning 2020 squad. This is partly on the coaches (who need a more consistent approach in the attack) but also on the players, who have to find a way to stay poised and take accurate, good shots on frame when the ball comes to their feet or head on crosses into the box. TCU has beaten us 3 straight matches now, and this Horned Frog team was the weakest team we've faced in a while. They did everything they could to give us this game and we refused to take it. A&M used to dominate Power 5 opponents in the state of Texas, however, we're now 0-4-1 against them over the last 3 seasons.

We wasted a terrific performance by the back line, as Calzada, Matulas, and Armenta played as a unit by keeping everything in front of them, marking players, and blocking several shots that could have been dangerous. TCU's only real threat was a shot that hit the crossbar in the second half, until the winning goal that came off of the first time we were beaten on the edge into the box, where a short pass bounced off a TCU players legs in the box into the goal. Total luck, but it counts. Margo Matula had her best game of the season with multiple good stops, while Calzada frustrated that small TCU forward all night with her speed.

The midfield was okay overall, but I'm really tired of watching the multiple turnovers off poor passes from Taylor Pounds. I know she has size and uses her body well to shield opponents, but at some point the coaches need to give Leb or Sam Smith an opportunity to start and build some chemistry with Mia Pante and McDonald. We did a good though of stepping in front of TCU passes and creating multiple breakaways at goal, but unfortunately the final pass or cross into the box wasn't accurate. Mia was frustrated tonight with several missed opportunities on the edge and in the box and missed and fell on a golden opportunity to score in front of goal. McDonald continues to be our most dangerous player and had several breakaways that she decided to pass instead of taking the shot. She needs to take a few more chances herself because no one is finishing in front of goal right now.

I thought Hayes really struggled tonight. Multiple chances in front of goal and she couldn't even get a shot off, including missing a PK and then an easy follow up on the rebound. She also was offsides on an easy 2 v 1 chance in the box, which is just a lack of concentration. Some of the angles she is shooting from are difficult and need more touch past the GK to be successful, but the ones in front of goal with one defender on her back need to be finished. And even though Boeckmann plays in the midfield, some of her attempts were really poor and way off target. It has to be better. In the first half alone, I counted breakaways of 3 vs 1, 2 vs 1, 2 vs 2, 1 vs 1, 3 vs 2 and we couldn't convert any of them. I just don't get it. Whether it's the poor final touch pass, cross, or inability to shoot, we should have scored at least 3 times during that stretch. However, I will give credit to TCU GK Lauren Kellett, who was spectacular at times, including the saved PK when she reached back behind her body momentum to save it, and then had another great save on a breakaway in the second half.

Unfortunately, as someone else pointed out, the Aggies have had a really poor non-conference record against Power 5 opponents over the last 3 seasons, which is another marker that the program is in decline. I'm very concerned that we are following the Florida trajectory of several years ago when they collapsed as a program and still haven't recovered. Some of it has been bad luck and bounces not going our way, but we have to find a way to close out matches when we are in position for a win or tie. I think we've lost games in the last 10 minutes about 10 times in the last few years. It's maddening.

The good news is that A&M has a winnable stretch of games here to get back on course, with 3 of the 4 against below average opponents. And Kentucky and Mississippi St are very winnable as well. If someone can emerge up top to finish chances in front of goal, we can still be a good team. But right now we are what our record says we are a losing team headed for another poor season. I really hope we can turn this around, otherwise it's going to get ugly on the these boards later in the season.
GigEm200$
would love to see Pante moved onto the back line to solidify the defense. she has a relentless motor,athletic and wins almost every ball w/in 5 yards (see the defensive play she made on the TCU forward to recover for the corner defender that got beat in the 2nd half). been watching her play an attacking role for some time. it's not her game. she is not a finisher nor creator. she is a spectacular ball winner and played defense for the canada u20s.

give smith those minutes on the attack. she was successful at BC in the tough ACC. moving pante also gives smith the minutes to make a consistent impact.
Artimus Gordon
What? No shots on goal by Kenna caldwell? No wonder we lost!
Soccer1
Another tough loss. It's still finishing and possession that are the issues. The pieces are there, but adjustments to the starting lineup still need to be made before going into our SEC games if we are going to salvage the season. I've mentioned it before and HiddenAg2 brought it up his post. Smith and Leb need to be in the starting lineup. Pounds continues to turn the ball over and looked gassed at the end of the game. The team was better last season when Leb took over for Pounds. Pante has been struggling with turnovers. She is having a lot of difficulty this season beating players off the dribble in the tougher games. She has no goals or assists after 5 games. I would consider starting Smith over Pante. Hayes had a tough game with the missed PK. Goals aren't coming like last season, but she is dangerous in the box and makes things happen. McDonald made some good runs at the defense, but she needs to make better decisions when to pass and shoot. She had a couple of clean looks at the goal and didn't shoot. The defense had a great game except for that one hiccup of not shutting down the dribbler on the line. Calzada needs to play outside back to utilize her speed in the attack. Geczik got beat around the corner on the goal. I don't think that happens with Calzada playing outside back. The schedule looks favorable the next 4 games. Hopefully the coaches make the necessary adjustments to get the season back on track before SEC play begins.
AggieCrew44
AG
Soccer1 said:

Another tough loss. It's still finishing and possession that are the issues. The pieces are there, but adjustments to the starting lineup still need to be made before going into our SEC games if we are going to salvage the season. I've mentioned it before and HiddenAg2 brought it up his post. Smith and Leb need to be in the starting lineup. Pounds continues to turn the ball over and looked gassed at the end of the game. The team was better last season when Leb took over for Pounds. Pante has been struggling with turnovers. She is having a lot of difficulty this season beating players off the dribble in the tougher games. She has no goals or assists after 5 games. I would consider starting Smith over Pante. Hayes had a tough game with the missed PK. Goals aren't coming like last season, but she is dangerous in the box and makes things happen. McDonald made some good runs at the defense, but she needs to make better decisions when to pass and shoot. She had a couple of clean looks at the goal and didn't shoot. The defense had a great game except for that one hiccup of not shutting down the dribbler on the line. Calzada needs to play outside back to utilize her speed in the attack. Geczik got beat around the corner on the goal. I don't think that happens with Calzada playing outside back. The schedule looks favorable the next 4 games. Hopefully the coaches make the necessary adjustments to get the season back on track before SEC play begins.
I don't think possession is an issue at all. If anything we aren't direct enough.
Soccer1
I've seen our direct play and it was turnover after turnover which was a big issue. Possession was better today. Losing the ball a lot off the dribble. We don't have Ally Watt anymore with the type of speed to play that type of game. Sure go for it once in a while if the player is open.
AggieCrew44
AG
Soccer1 said:

I've seen our direct play and it was turnover after turnover which was a big issue. Possession was better today. Losing the ball a lot off the dribble. We don't have Ally Watt anymore with the type of speed to play that type of game. Sure go for it once in a while if the player is open.
Weve possessed it fine all year. Even in the Florida state game. We just get nowhere with it. We lack creativity in the final 3rd which I want them to be more direct. Being direct doesn't have to mean dump and chase
MookieBlaylock
AG
Disagree on Calzada as she is a deadly Center back with her size speed and skill- that is her spot and Mutual playing with her is really solid.

Moving cornrow up really helped too

Playing Williams the last 10 minutes of the first half cost an easy goal - she doesn't bring much and wouldn't play for TCU so those minutes be better with Smith or anyone else

Pante moving back to LB is intriguing

Soccer1
I'll agree with you we lack creativity in the final 3rd.
Expert Analysis
AG
I think I'd be ok with Pante at LB. She would still find herself up in the attack with the way we play our outside backs. Start smith at left outside mid, sub in macie.
My issue with clazada at CB is she likes to go up the field to far. A couple goals have happened behind her which isn't good for a CB.
Was cornog at holding mid this game? She played there a lot last year and was ok. She and pounds have similar games. I dislike the 4-2 formation which we have played a lot.
sharpdressedman
This appears to be a very average team. The coaches have had ample time to get players in positions where they belong and to determine an effective lineup. I have seen enough to be very surprised if magic happens going forward.
cs69ag
AG
Coach and program is now 31 yrs. Last few yrs been pretty rough.
One College Cup(final 4) in our history. Seems to be pretty successful regionally,
but not nationally. Seems like too many shots NOT on goal. Do we need a new O coordinator??

Guess this year can still be salvaged, but something on O needs to change! Surely the coaches have enough
data points and are trying to figure it out. Must drive them crazy to create so many shots that are not on goal or
not in the net.
MookieBlaylock
AG
We have struggled to score and create easy goals for 31 years

It ain't the players
AggieCrew44
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

We have struggled to score and create easy goals for 31 years

It ain't the players
This is not true lol
MookieBlaylock
AG
Funny bc I remember it being a problem year 1 and every game thread the last 10 years
Artimus Gordon
Now that coach G has entered the jo Evans memorial retired on the job portal, how much longer is his contract?
vwbug
Was Pounds heavily recruited? Lots of turnovers in the midfield that game
Expert Analysis
AG
vwbug said:

Was Pounds heavily recruited? Lots of turnovers in the midfield that game
not really. She is a steady player for the most part but not a great passer which is a good attribute to have as a holding mid... Similar to Cornog.
Now that I think about our roster and seeing what we are getting out of them this year, it seems we have a lot of steady players, and not enough impact players. We really need a couple players to step it up.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Worlds worse whif on open shot!

Don't remember who.
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.