* WC Group C thread (Arg., Saudi, Mexico, Poland) *

27,600 Views | 788 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TXAggie2011
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
oh no said:

Argentina is looking at Australia (FIFA rank like 38 or something) in the round of 16 knock out and then the winner of NED-USA. They probably see a fairly clear path to a semi-final vs Brazil.

Which means they're gonna be susceptible to getting sucker punched
tysker
AG
oh no said:

Argentina is looking at Australia (FIFA rank like 38 or something) in the round of 16 knock out and then the winner of NED-USA. They probably see a fairly clear path to a semi-final vs Brazil.

I kind of feel bad Tyler Adams is going to mark Messi out of his last WC game ever.
oh no
AG
tysker said:

oh no said:

I kind of feel bad Tyler Adams is going to mark Messi out of his last WC game ever.
Huh. Weird. I don't feel bad at all about that.
PascalsWager
AG
I would rank Australia 28th out of 32 teams here. The FIFA rankings are a joke. There are plenty of teams who didn't qualify who would run circles against these guys.

This isn't your older brother's Tim Cahill Aussies. This is a team made up entirely of A- league, English Championship, and Scottish Premiership players. We see how much the MLS players struggle when they come on for us. And all those leagues are worse or close.

Argentina have free trip to the quarters against you know who (I don't want to jinx it). But we thought the same thing about Saudi Arabia......
carl spacklers hat
KCup17 said:

Concacaf looking rough
I think it was expected. Most on here thought Canads's CONCACAF-style of play wouldn't translate to WC success and nobody saw Costa Rica through to the knockout rounds, although they are still alive with one match to play. Mexico has been very inconsistent so projecting them into the knockout rounds came down to a coin flip between them and Poland at the start of the tourney. Poland may play a drab style of soccer but they aren't our biggest rival, so I'm elated that Poland are through and Mexico are sent home.
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
BAP Enthusiast
Chuck Cunningham said:

BAP Enthusiast said:

La Bamba said:

I will say, it feels better to have Poland advancing at least by goal differential. Advancing via yellow cards is just dumb and woke

Better cards than drawing lots. Should have possession percentage come into play before drawing lots though. That would entirely eliminate drawing lots since the odds of any two teams have equal amounts of possession is near zero. I would put possession before cards too.

Should be done by penetrations.

Would be okay with that as well. Penetrations before possession and then yellow cards. Lots should never come into play.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
carl spacklers hat said:

Poland may play a drab style of soccer
I think their technical director is Worker and Parasite.

MookieBlaylock
AG
PascalsWager said:

I would rank Australia 28th out of 32 teams here. The FIFA rankings are a joke. There are plenty of teams who didn't qualify who would run circles against these guys.

This isn't your older brother's Tim Cahill Aussies. This is a team made up entirely of A- league, English Championship, and Scottish Premiership players. We see how much the MLS players struggle when they come on for us. And all those leagues are worse or close.

Argentina have free trip to the quarters against you know who (I don't want to jinx it). But we thought the same thing about Saudi Arabia......

Well glad you aren't in charge of ranking bc they are finishing 16th or better

So tired of hearing about what league you play in

This is about what you are willing to give for your country
Not how much you were sold for
agsalaska
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

PascalsWager said:

You sound like a Big12 defender.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
Unemployed
AG
Tata Martino is out.

No shocker there.
MookieBlaylock
AG
agsalaska said:

MookieBlaylock said:

PascalsWager said:

You sound like a Big12 defender.

They already have a champions league
Watch that and play FIFA
OregonAggie
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

PascalsWager said:

Just because they made it to the final 16 doesn't mean they're one of the 16th best teams in the world or in this tournament. Kudos to them for getting to the knockout stages though
TXAggie2011
AG
Australia's squad is almost entirely composed of guys playing in Europe or are veterans who played awhile in Europe before coming back home.
agsalaska
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

Australia's squad is almost entirely composed of guys playing in Europe or are veterans who played awhile in Europe before coming back home.
Yea. That's misleading at best.

That team has very few, and I mean VERY few, games played at any meaningful European level.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
PatAg
AG
I thought Canada would advance 2nd, and lose first knockout round. Thats generally what that kind of tactics gets you, adn they almost did. In fact, if they had stuck with it after getting the lead, they probably would have.

I thought Mexico would advance, but it was a tough group, and Tata made some poor roster choices in who he left off I thought
PascalsWager
AG
agsalaska said:

TXAggie2011 said:

That team has very few, and I mean VERY few, games played at any meaningful European level.
There are (generously) 20-25 clubs that matter on the world level. Those playing actual minutes for them are the best players in the world. But even those players playing against them in the English Premier league, Spanish La Liga, Italian Serie A, and German Bundesliga are getting high quality match experience against the best players.

Australia has guys playing in the english 2nd division and the Scotland. They're not turning down Real Madrid because they enjoy life in Dundee. They're there because they are marginal footballers.

Credit to them for making it to the knockouts. They're still marginal footballers and a "free" win.

agsalaska
AG
100% agree.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Marginal footballers how cute

TXAggie2011
AG
agsalaska said:

TXAggie2011 said:

Always like it when someone reads into something and then calls it misleading.

There aren't 27 or whatever it was teams that are comprised of guys playing in I guess what we'll call a "meaningful" level.

Argentina will be heavy favorites, of course.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.