* WC Group B thread (England, Iran, USA, Wales) *

25,458 Views | 434 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by BJM1781
jeffk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yep, it's looking like a poor choice from the USSF comms folks.

Mathguy64
AG
If that's true they really need to fire someone in the next couple of hours. Not 18 year old intern who posts to Twitter but someone a little higher up the food chain. And offer up an apology.
TRM
AG
The message comes from the top so we won't see the real person responsible for it held accountable.
jeffk
AG
Mathguy64 said:

If that's true they really need to fire someone in the next couple of hours. Not 18 year old intern who posts to Twitter but someone a little higher up the food chain. And offer up an apology.

Who ever it was really put us in a sticky situation. We're no fans of the Iranian regime, but we also don't want to antagonize them. If we apologize for changing the flag, we are reneging on our "show solidarity with the protestors in Iran" or whatever it was we said. If we don't apologize, I guess the Iranians might really push for sanctions... which is dumb, but this is FIFA, so who knows what they'll actually do. The ethics committee just recently agreed to let Iran stay in the competition after the whole "we sold drones to Putin" thing, so maybe they look favorable on them or maybe they're tired of their crap. Who knows?
jeffk
AG
Also, the US-Iran game thread is up.
Furlock Bones
AG
Truly the dumbest of ****s run soccer in this country.
Ag Since 83
AG
Furlock Bones said:

Truly the dumbest of ****s run soccer in this country planet
FIFY
Rudyjax
AG
Furlock Bones said:

Truly the dumbest of ****s run soccer in this country.

You're not kidding.
Dre_00
oh no said:

Way to fire up the Iranians, usa!

As in the players? I wouldn't assume that the players would feel affronted by this in any shape or form.
jeffk
AG
Right - the players have already shown they're no fans of the current regime. Our flag stunt (?) probably doesn't impact their level of energy against us at all. All it did was create a state-level conflict that the players on both teams will get asked to comment on. It's a distraction.
PatAg
AG
It's very funny to watch people flock to this thread to complain about 'wokeness'
Dre_00
Yeah it wasn't well thought out or warranted. I expect the Iranian regime will of course amplify this as much as they can to serve their needs but the reaction coming from inside our own house is a little over the top.
Agthatbuilds
Well, it's a thread about specifically the group with both usa and Iran.

So, I'm not sure why you're surprised
deadbq03
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

Well, it's a thread about specifically the group with both usa and Iran.

So, I'm not sure why you're surprised
I don't think he's complaining about the venue.

The same people who want to keep politics out of sports end up being the first to dig up said politics on these threads. It's tiring.
Agthatbuilds
You mean people discuss the going-ons on a thread dedicated to the going-ons?

How odd and humorous.
Valtrex_11
PatAg said:

It's very funny to watch people flock to this thread to complain about 'wokeness'

You are surprised by people posting on a message board
La Bamba
AG
Well....that's one way to get out of the group stage

Rudyjax
AG
So just a primer for tomorrow.

England in with a win, tie, or loss. They win the group with a win or tie. They can still win the group with a loss with a US/Iran tie.

Iran has to win or tie If Wales wins. If Wales win, they're out with a tie. If Iran and Wales win, they win the group. They're in with a tie if Wales loses. If Iran wins and England loses, they win the group.

*US is in with a win and and wins the group with a Wales win. There are no scenarios where US advances without a W.

Wales is in with a Iran tie and a victory.

*Assuming we don't get kicked out for flag-gate.
jeffk
AG
I have some bad news for people hoping Iraq can get a result tomorrow...
Rudyjax
AG
jeffk said:

I have some bad news for people hoping Iraq can get a result tomorrow...
Yeah, I routinely confuse those countries. Kinda like when my dogs are misbehaving I yell at them using the wrong name. I know which dog it is, i just confuse the name.

jeffk
AG
Just try to get that straightened out before you talk to anyone from either of those two nations.
Knucklesammich
Dre_00 said:

oh no said:

Way to fire up the Iranians, usa!

As in the players? I wouldn't assume that the players would feel affronted by this in any shape or form.
The Iranian players refused to sing their national anthem before the first game in protest. Their fans were barred from entering for carrying the already mentioned flag. I don't think this fires them up at all.
jeffk
AG
Gregg got asked about his position on US sanctions on Iran this morning in his presser in case you were wondering how the day is going.
Knucklesammich
Valtrex_11 said:

PatAg said:

You are surprised by people posting on a message board
I find it ironic that people are rising up against a totalitarian regime that no rational human being should support and that's considered "woke".

La Bamba
AG
jeffk said:

Gregg got asked about his position on US sanctions on Iran this morning in his presser in case you were wondering how the day is going.

Gregg wasn't the only one getting asked ::interesting:: things. Btw Tyler Adams is all class.
oh no
AG
damn. reporters aren't under-handing slow pitch softball questions out there are they? well done, Tyler.
La Bamba
AG
Rudyjax
AG
What a ***** reporter. Imagine how he'd feel about me calling them Iraq today.
jeffk
AG
Yeah, that entire presser was so weird. The Iranian media were absolutely trying to troll for sound bites to play on their state-run media outlets.

Tyler Adams is incredible. GB handled it all really well too.
Pahdz
That Adams clip just makes me want to crush Eye-ran even more tomorrow
archangelus2
AG
Tyler Adams for the win. I mean really, couldn't have handled it better. Glad he is representing us.
La Bamba
AG
Chuck Cunningham said:

What a ***** reporter. Imagine how he'd feel about me calling them Iraq today.

Can you imagine if the interviewee was someone like Russell Westbrook instead of Tyler Adams? I mean yes, for taking the moral high ground, I'm glad Tyler took this one. But to slap back, Russ would have been hilarious. It's too bad iRan doesn't have a basketball team.
oh no
AG
Dude was pretty upset people call them Eye Ran instead of EE-Ron.
Rudyjax
AG
jeffk said:

Yeah, that entire presser was so weird. The Iranian media were absolutely trying to troll for sound bites to play on their state-run media outlets.

Tyler Adams is incredible. GB handled it all really well too.
Have you found a link to the press conference? I've only seen bits and pieces and summaries.
JJxvi
AG
Gregg Berhalter's lost control of the US Naval deployment situation? Fire 'im!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.