ECNL Girls - National Playoffs

10,875 Views | 129 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by ColoradoMooseHerd
Rudyjax
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
SCHTICK00 said:

We had a great coach playing in 07 USC RL for a couple years. When that changed we pursued the ECNL route. Our first friendly as a new team was against the Renegades 07 team.
We've played them quite a bit. Not a fan of that coach. He's a joystick coach.
SCHTICK00
AG
I saw that on your schedule. Congrats on the win against the Texans
Rudyjax
AG
SCHTICK00 said:

Thanks!!!

Dude....

We scored in the 80th minute to win that one.

They had a free kick that was really more like a corner. Our center back heads it out and our right back sends it to our 9, everyone else was back defending. She sends it up field and out runs their defenders. One of them tries to foul her outside the box. Just then everyone on the sidelines timers is going off for time.
She beats another defender then shoots a rocket that hits the bottom of the crossbar and in. Referee blows the 3 whistles to end the match.

SCHTICK00
AG
That's awesome! Games like that are why I don't mind missing Aggie football. I'd rather watch my girls take the pitch than be in Kyle Field for Alabama. I have a daughter on the 2011 pre-ECNL team. The struggle is not getting to see them both play on the weekends
Rudyjax
AG
SCHTICK00 said:

That's awesome! Games like that are why I don't mind missing Aggie football. I'd rather watch my girls take the pitch than be in Kyle Field for Alabama. I have a daughter on the 2011 pre-ECNL team. The struggle is not getting to see them both play on the weekends
Honestly, watching my daughter play is one of my highlights in my life. It makes me sad that I have less than 4 years left of that.

She wants to go to a Saturday school, mainly A&M, and she's just not gifted or motivated enough to play D1.

I'm just going to enjoy it while I can.
SCHTICK00
AG
What's her number? Somewhere down the road we may play you in a friendly.
Rudyjax
AG
SCHTICK00 said:

What's her number? Somewhere down the road we may play you in a friendly.

More than likely her sister team, the 08 team with the same coach.

it's crazy how things align. Her coach has 2 kids, and '05 and '08. He had 2 teams, and '05 and '08. So many kids came out, he had his '05 and so many kids, he made 2 '08 teams. Age pure comes in, and he moves his '05 to '04 and gets an '07 and '08 team.

It's weird with my daughter a freshman and 80% of her team are sophomores, and of the '08 team, 95% are freshman too.

I think playing against older girls helps her in high school.

Jim01
AG
My daughter is an 08 and it's probably 1/3 8th graders ad 2/3 freshmen on her team. I am definitely glad she is on the younger side. I think it benefits her in the long run.

And amen to loving watching them play. My daughters soccer is one of my favorite things in life no doubt. I was always athletic but never had drive and I just sit back amazed at hers. Her gifts have always been speed (she got 2 golds and 2 silvers at district track meet) and mental (coachability and drive) and it's been fun to see her progress in the other aspects.

A year ago she moved up to GA2 and was like a deer in highlights with the speed of play but she grew and got better. Then at the end of the year the coach told her how much better she had become at ball control and decision making, but also said he didn't necessarily project her to be a starter this year and that the next piece he wanted to see her add was physicality. Cut to this season, she has started every single game, only coming out in the 2nd half for maybe a 5 minute breather, and is flying into contact.

After UTD got cancelled we pivoted to a scrimmage on Saturday and afterwards went out to eat. The aggie game was on and I glanced up to see the score and that was it. Don't think I even checked the final score until the next day. It's amazing that something I used to live and die by (Aggie football) has become something I barely even think about.
SCHTICK00
AG
Very similar story for my kid. And she's a center back, so they'll get to go head to head. She's 5' 11" and easy to pick out. I'll try and remember to reach out when y'all come to Tomball.
Rudyjax
AG
Quote:

My daughter is an 08 and it's probably 1/3 8th graders ad 2/3 freshmen on her team. I am definitely glad she is on the younger side. I think it benefits her in the long run.
Well, the math says this is about right.

Rudyjax
AG
My 18 had a goal and assist today against a Tulsa team in a 2 nil victory. They beat us 6 nil last year. They must've lost a dozen players.
SCHTICK00
AG
Tell her congrats! Always fun to get personal production and a team win. We had Tulsa and OK Energy last weekend and then back to Dallas next weekend for Sting and FC Dallas.
Jim01
AG
We beat FC Dallas 6-0 last weekend. It was an 09 team that apparently won the FDL last year so decided to play up a year. I think they might regret that decision.

This weekend we were in Dallas for DKSC. Lost Saturday 3-1 against their first place team but it was closer than that. It was 1-1 late. The second goal we all swear was offside. The third goal our left center back went to clear it and slipped then scramble to recover but it was too late. Just bad luck. They were a very tough team but we fought hard.

Sunday we won 2-0 against the other DKSC team.

We are currently in second in the league. My daughter played every minute of both games which was awesome. Left wing back but we have two girls out injured so one half she played left center back. She wasn't thrilled but minutes are minutes and she actually did quite well.
Rudyjax
AG
I really hate the subbing rules in ECNL.
Rudyjax
AG
SCHTICK00 said:

That Texans team beat a team 17-0 Saturday.

I get that points are important, but that's ridiculous.

ColoradoMooseHerd
Ken Scarborough said:

Curious which way you hate them? You would like to sub more or Sub less?
Rudyjax
AG
ColoradoMooseHerd said:

Ken Scarborough said:

Curious which way you hate them? You would like to sub more or Sub less?
Every league up through college, has open subbing.

I'd like to see open subbing.
ColoradoMooseHerd
Not a fan of open subbing at this level. Too many of the coaches would use open subbing to run out the clock. It is already a problem with teams with a big roster and when the coach subs one at a time. Open subbing at this point would be abused in my opinion.
Rudyjax
AG
ColoradoMooseHerd said:

Not a fan of open subbing at this level. Too many of the coaches would use open subbing to run out the clock. It is already a problem with teams with a big roster and when the coach subs one at a time. Open subbing at this point would be abused in my opinion.
Good point.
ColoradoMooseHerd
Ken Scarborough said:

ColoradoMooseHerd said:

Good point.
But I know what you are saying, I have seen some of the girls gassed especially on a hot windy day. And at certain ages maybe they should allow it. I know at ECNL showcases, it open subbing just not league games or playoffs.
Rudyjax
AG
ColoradoMooseHerd said:

Ken Scarborough said:

ColoradoMooseHerd said:

Good point.
But I know what you are saying, I have seen some of the girls gassed especially on a hot windy day. And at certain ages maybe they should allow it. I know at ECNL showcases, it open subbing just not league games or playoffs.
The ECNL-RL playoffs were in June in DFW and it was feels like 110. They did Friday with the usual subbing, then for the rest of the weekend went back to open subbing.

Feels like 110 in August is doable, but not in May.

King Koda
AG
In ECNL showcases, open subbing only happens on the third day. The first two days are supposed to be normal ECNL sub rules.

When DA was around, it was the same rules as FIFA. Sub and you are out for the remainder of the game. ECNL subbing is fine. It provides an opportunity to sub in first half and second half. The only change you might want to make would be to allow for one re-entry in the second half to make rules coincide with college.

A large part of playing soccer at the higher levels is fitness. Open subbing enables teams to continue to sub in waves and takes away from the required physical fitness needed to play the game. As kids get older, the game should begin to better align with the collegiate and professional level.
SCHTICK00
AG
I'd also say open subbing allows teams to hide weak players. Only change I would make is like was said earlier and allow re entry once in the second half. I used to think they should allow substitutions if an injury occurs later in a half so you don't play down a player with girls on the bench, but guaranteed that would get abused.
ColoradoMooseHerd
King Koda said:

In ECNL showcases, open subbing only happens on the third day. The first two days are supposed to be normal ECNL sub rules.

They must have relaxed the rules in Arizona. Other teams were open subbing from the very start so we followed along.

Caused a little grief for some parents at first because originally they claimed they were going to use the showcases in overall seeding but then they reversed on that decision.

I will pay closer attention in San Diego for all games.
Rudyjax
AG
Open subbing in DFW too in showcases.

It would be dumb not to if a college coach shows up and one kid is already out for the half.
King Koda
AG
I'll correct myself. It is open subbing for the youngers in their showcases. I believe U15 and above only has it last day. It has been that way for mine playing 06 the last two years but the 08 had open subbing all three games last year.
SCHTICK00
AG
Our club director mentioned changes for this seasons showcases regarding substitution rules. I don't remember the details, but I believe they've changed
Ags-R-Better
We'll be in Dallas this weekend as well against Sting and FCD with my daughters 10 ECNL team. Are y'all with A or C out of Houston?
SCHTICK00
AG
Challenge. You?
Ags-R-Better
Albion.
Ags-R-Better
Anyone going to San Diego this weekend for the ECNL Showcase?

ColoradoMooseHerd
We will be there, Playing 3 Pm game each day

FYI - This is not Surf Cup, that is in the summer, This is the ECNL showcase
Ags-R-Better
Thanks for the assist; fixed.

Our games are in the early window each day, I'm glad for that as it gives us more flexibility during this "vacation". This will be our first big event like this for soccer so she's really excited.

Good luck out there.
ColoradoMooseHerd
Where are you guys staying? Early games allow you time to do some things when not at the fields. Our late game times will eliminate any options.

I am sure people have warned you but parking can be a nightmare. Leave early to make sure you don't have to worry about getting into the lot, long lines at times.
Ags-R-Better
We are at a Hilton in La Jolla. Yea, we should have a lot more free time to check out some of the major touristy things. Thanks for the heads up on parking, hopefully being the early games will help with that situation.

We have games against Washington Premier, Arizona Arsenal, and Slammers…our girls have had a tough stretch of games to start the season going through the Dallas and Oklahoma teams so far, so I am hoping for good but winnable games so they can get some mojo coming back to league play.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.