Tx HS soccer may move to fall sport?

3,986 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Rudyjax
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
How long do you want to ignore this user?
jeffk said:

Good coaches will play the kids that give their teams the best chance to win games. Bad coaches are petty and hold grudges and view kids as "soccer kids" or "football kids." I've worked with both types of coaches. Hopefully the second type is becoming more rare.

Good coaches will work to do what is best for the kid hopefully. If they want to play both, let them play both. If they want to quit both, help them land somewhere so that they are involved.

Too many coaches use kids for their own egos. Sorry for the tangent.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
jeffk
AG
Haha, no disagreement here. My post was built on the assumption the kid actually wanted to play the sport.
Rudyjax
AG
In the big high schools, it's really only the elite athletes that can make an impact in more than one sport.

Coaches encourage it, but there's a lot of politics and schedule issues involved.

jessexy
AG
Ghost of Andrew Eaton said:

I wonder what the issue is with freshmen on varsity.
More likely someone with power or high-standing had his/her upperclassman's playing time or position on the team roster negatively impacted by a freshman.

Less likely is the physical ability or size of the freshman in comparison to seniors they're competing against.
Jim01
AG
Yeah that would be my bet.

Small schools rely on freshman for varsity. Heck even our high school which is 5A and made the regional finals had three freshmen on the girls team this year. Soccer is not as big a sport as volleyball or basketball in a lot of parts.
Rudyjax
AG
Jim01 said:

Yeah that would be my bet.

Small schools rely on freshman for varsity. Heck even our high school which is 5A and made the regional finals had three freshmen on the girls team this year. Soccer is not as big a sport as volleyball or basketball in a lot of parts.
Even in the fringes of DFW, soccer isn't a big sport.

We had 2 freshman on varsity on 5A Denton schools, and on JV1 on a 6A Denton school. It's amazing how different the 2 areas are. And the one on JV1 is 3x's the player of one of the ones that was on varsity.
The other one would be on varsity in most schools by the end of the year.

jeffk
AG
Not to mention that a lot of programs (not just soccer) around the state only have varsity teams.
NJ75AGfdt
If soccer is played in the fall, you may also see some schools drop soccer. I refereed high school a few years ago and saw teams in the Houston metro area that used football players on soccer teams--not many but a few.
"It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man," Psalm 118:8.

"In God we trust...all others pay cash!"
Rudyjax
AG
NJ75AGfdt said:

If soccer is played in the fall, you may also see some schools drop soccer. I refereed high school a few years ago and saw teams in the Houston metro area that used football players on soccer teams--not many but a few.
Dang... club players get cut at my kids high school.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Ken Scarborough said:

NJ75AGfdt said:

Same at my daughter's school.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
Rudyjax
AG
Ghost of Andrew Eaton said:

Ken Scarborough said:

NJ75AGfdt said:

Same at my daughter's school.

Sometimes I want to move and have my daughter play varsity all 4 years.

And it would be easier for auto acceptance to A&M.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.