***** USMNT vs Morocco Unfriendly Game Thread (6/1) *****

7,451 Views | 199 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by AgGrad99
TRM
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
boogieman said:

Damn. CP just called out the lack of fans.
Kind of tone deaf; going to a game in this economic environment is a luxury. Middle class families don't have the option dropping $500 to go to a game then going on a family vacation. It's going to be one or the other.
PatAg
AG
TRM said:

boogieman said:

Kind of tone deaf; going to a game in this economic environment is a luxury. Middle class families don't have the option dropping $500 to go to a game then going on a family vacation. It's going to be one or the other.
So thats not the entire fanbase, though I do wonder if the Federation pulled their usual bull**** with ticket prices
Furlock Bones
AG
boogieman said:

He was calling out US Soccer. US Soccer doesn't care about American fans. They care about the increased revenue even with less attendance.

jeffk
AG
DeangeloVickers said:

My goodness Aaronson has improved a ton

Not trying to be disagreeable, but I do think he flies under the radar a bit on this team. He was arguably the most consistently decent player on the team through qualifying. He had a couple of down games, but he's generally a really positive player and does a lot of little things well. I'm really excited about him being at Leeds and hope he continues to progress well.
wangus12
AG
Just to make this thread Extra Official

Pahdz
Then pick a metro area with more people to up your odds of a sellout.

Seriously you could find 20,000 young single soccer fans easily in some places that are just buying for one. We know that's not the total demographic of the crowd but I don't disagree with CP
wangus12
AG
Pahdz said:

Then pick a metro area with more people to up your odds of a sellout.

Seriously you could find 20,000 young single soccer fans easily in some places that are just buying for one. We know that's not the total demographic of the crowd but I don't disagree with CP
We all know what happens when the USMNT sets foot into a metro area. They almost always become the away team
H.E. Pennypacker
AG
Man, Wright looked like he belonged pretty much from the second he stepped on the pitch. Ferreira seems like a good MLS player that doesnt have international quality (ala Twellman, Wondo etc).

I've always loved Aaronsons game. He's a glue/hustle guy w enough international level skill.
PatAg
AG
H.E. Pennypacker said:

Man, Wright looked like he belonged pretty much from the second he stepped on the pitch. Ferreira seems like a good MLS player that doesnt have international quality (ala Twellman, Wondo etc).

I've always loved Aaronsons game. He's a glue/hustle guy w enough international level skill.
Curious what would make you say that about Jesus
gougler08
AG
Definitely would like to see Wright more
H.E. Pennypacker
AG
PatAg said:

H.E. Pennypacker said:

To steal a Scuffed phrase, Ferreira is "danger adjacent" when he plays for USMNT. He's a good player, seems to know how to put himself in good position, but doesn't finish. Plus, I feel like this is the case despite his appearances coming vs outgunned opponents. With a step up in opponent quality, I don't see him doing better. Maybe I'm wrong, but he's undersized, not particularly fast, and doesn't seem to have a bulldog defensive mindset. Wright, on top of playing well overall, just looked the part physically. Big, strong, fast. That's what we need at the 9.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Haji! He's my starting 9 when I play Football Manager
H.E. Pennypacker
AG
Also have to say that Turner looked great. I had been in the Steffen camp since he was an up and comer, but I have to admit I'd feel more comfortable playing a WC game w Turner in goal right now.
deadbq03
AG
Speaking of Aaronson, I found a fun site recently… I'm probably late to the party. According to these guys, Aaronson's in rare company at the high-press, in the 99th percentile compared to all attacking midfielders in the Big 5 leagues and UEFA competitions, with over 27 pressures per 90 mins.

https://fbref.com/en/players/5bc43860/Brenden-Aaronson
PatAg
AG

This was probably our best extended sequence in the entire game
PatAg
AG
H.E. Pennypacker said:

PatAg said:

H.E. Pennypacker said:

To steal a Scuffed phrase, Ferreira is "danger adjacent" when he plays for USMNT. He's a good player, seems to know how to put himself in good position, but doesn't finish. Plus, I feel like this is the case despite his appearances coming vs outgunned opponents. With a step up in opponent quality, I don't see him doing better. Maybe I'm wrong, but he's undersized, not particularly fast, and doesn't seem to have a bulldog defensive mindset. Wright, on top of playing well overall, just looked the part physically. Big, strong, fast. That's what we need at the 9.
?
Pahdz
Unless it's Minnesota
Pahdz
All I see there is how many times Steffen could have possibly goofed it all up trying to be cute.

That sequence may have cemented Turner as the starter.

Reminds me of the 30+ passes consecutive against Germany in 2015 that led to Mix Diskerud's goal.
Rudyjax
AG
Pahdz said:

Good lord did he dent the crossbar?!
One of the hardest pks ive ever seen. I would to have a gun on that one.
Furlock Bones
AG
Yup. This should absolutely seal Turner as starter. I don't want to see Steffen out there again.
Agthatbuilds
Furlock Bones said:

boogieman said:

He was calling out US Soccer. US Soccer doesn't care about American fans. They care about the increased revenue even with less attendance.

I won't be going to a usmnt game 5 miles from my house because it costs to damn much. Its not about my ability to pay, but it is about what you get.
Add on the ussf obsession with all things social justicey and I just really don't want to spend my money to physically be there. Tv is fine.

Not dissimilar from baseball, the ticket prices are too high. Taking a family of 4 quickly adds up. There are no more cheap seats. Some of my best childhood memories were going to the astrodome really early and grabbing cheap outfield seats before batters practice. That's no more for me.
Furlock Bones
AG
I would be going to the match in Austin but we are flying out for vacation in the morning. I certainly can't take my young kids. A family of 4 is looking at around $80/ticket. So $320 for tickets. Add in exorbitant food and drink prices, you're in it for $500 easy.

But as I said, USSF doesn't care about US fans. They care about the revenue and fans of other countries will pay it. Seemed like every Moroccan in the US was at the match.
carl spacklers hat
Furlock Bones said:

Yup. This should absolutely seal Turner as starter. I don't want to see Steffen out there again.
Same for me. I've thought Turner was the better keeper for the last year or so but last night put any doubt to rest.

I really like De La Torre's game. GGG is going to have some tough decisions to make with his final roster but from what I'm seeing, guys like Arriola, Morris and Zardes have no business being in the conversation. We have way better options.
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
PatAg
AG
carl spacklers hat said:

Furlock Bones said:

Same for me. I've thought Turner was the better keeper for the last year or so but last night put any doubt to rest.

I really like De La Torre's game. GGG is going to have some tough decisions to make with his final roster but from what I'm seeing, guys like Arriola, Morris and Zardes have no business being in the conversation. We have way better options.
Arriola has been on fire this year, and imo has taken his play to another level from what I have seen from him before in the MLS. Whether that translates to international play always remains to be seen.

The last couple of years tells me that there is almost no sense in getting caught up in thinking about your best 11 players with this team. You do need to think about what groups of 11 can mesh well, and what kind of tactics you can employ with each group.
Then the decisions will come down to availability (who is healthy), those players form going into the game, and who the opponent is.

Even after that, GGG has to get the subs right and that will come down to how the game is being played out, what the scenarios are, and so forth.

Its going to be interesting to see what choices he makes for Uruguay, some players went the full 90 that I didnt expect to.
jeffk
AG
Putting this friendly in Ohio was a dumb decision and par for the course for USSF. It's a meaningless game! A perfect opportunity to give a major metro area a game (since they'll never get a qualifier). You wouldn't even need to lower ticket prices! Pulisic can be disappointed if he wants to, but he didn't really handle it well.
AgGrad99
AG
carl spacklers hat said:

Furlock Bones said:

Agreed about De La Torre. He is a spark out there, and sees the field well.

I like Arriola though. He works hard. Morris works as well, but isn't quite as talented. I think Zardes has seen his best days.
KCup17
AG
On the topic of CP and the fans, I think his comment was directed more towards the fact that there were a ton of Moroccan fans in the stadium.
Furlock Bones
AG
who's the Dallas area Aggie that called into Grumpy Pundits this morning?
Furlock Bones
AG
KCup17 said:

On the topic of CP and the fans, I think his comment was directed more towards the fact that there were a ton of Moroccan fans in the stadium.
there's been a couple of folks that have called into Grumpy Pundits this morning that have commented on the full situation.

1) apparently, there are a tons of Moroccan/Moroccan Americans that live in Northern Kentucky. A lot of them work in manufacturing there. so, they are close to Cincy.

2) The Moroccans showed up as soon as the gates opened. Most of the Americans didn't show up until much closer to kick. When the US was out there warming up, it was mostly Moroccans and Pulisic took notice. So, he was upset from the beginning. By kickoff, it was around 50/50.

So, a lot going on here. But, it doesn't really matter. This is USSF trying to get every penny rather than growing US Fandom.
jeffk
AG
Which is sort of a douchy thing to fixate on IMO. From all accounts, the Moroccan fans in attendance were very pro-American in their cheering too (which makes sense as most of them were also Americans). Also, Morocco has never played a match on US soil (as far as I can find anyway), so yeah, their fans are going to be excited and turn out. If they wanted a big crowd for a mid-week game, they should have held it in another venue that's starving for a match. The Cincinnati fans in attendance sounded great on the broadcast and it looked like they were into the game as much as they should have been. Feels like their efforts get dumped on because USSF is doing their usual greedy things.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I would like to give some props to Jedi. I was on him not too long ago and he has really worked on the big hole in his game. His services now are at least up to an average left back, if not slightly above. He was miserable at it only 18 months back. Credit to him for putting in the work. I am now a fan of his.

Big Zimm is the real deal. Has he gotten the big payday yet?

Turner.

Musah played really well. He doesn't seem to make attacking runs like that with the MMA midfield. Maybe we need to give him more room to operate in the future.

Weah is freaking good and getting better. He is the fastest man on the pitch and his cut to the inside is quick. He needs to be one of the guys pulled early in a friendly when we are up. He still looks small and skinny and we don't need him getting hurt in garbage time.

Ferrera meh.

None of the subs really did much that stood out, except the left back that got completely outrun. Send that guy back to MLS. Yeah, he kept with it and made the play, but only because the attacker sucks. The rest of the subs were unremarkable and that is ok. Tough to get in a rhythm and flow in a short time with a bunch of other subs.
Furlock Bones
AG
That was Joe Scally. To be fair, he was going against Hakimi who is very fast. But, otherwise, you are correct he didn't impress.

PatAg
AG

Interesting ticket price info
Furlock Bones
AG
Wait so now USSF has an incentive to not sell out.
TRM
AG
That isn't relevant until 2023.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.