***** USMNT vs Morocco Unfriendly Game Thread (6/1) *****

7,369 Views | 199 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by AgGrad99
Furlock Bones
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TRM said:

That isn't relevant until 2023.
it's relevant to show what USSF's incentives are going forward.
wangus12
AG
USA played Morocco in 2006 in Nashville. They also were in the 1994 World Cup here.
jeffk
AG
Thanks! I did a cursory search but didn't catch that one. Edit and I also only went back to 1998.

Point is that it's been a minute since American Moroccan fans got to see their team in person.
KCup17
AG
I agree that it probably isn't the best thing to fixate on but I for one was surprised by the amount of Moroccan supporters there were. I don't know the demographic makeup of the surrounding areas to rationalize why at the beginning of the game it looked like there were equal parts Moroccans/Americans in the stands. Probably didn't really need to be said by CP but IMO it's really a non issue.

I also felt as though he wasn't making a comment about the quality of the American fan base that did show up but more that he wished more had shown up.
jeffk
AG
Oh, yeah I don't think he was intentionally slamming the fans that were there, but that's how it'll come across anyway. Attendance issues are with USSF and that's where the criticism needs to be pointed. CP is probably one of the few players who could actually get away with being critical of the organization and he missed a chance to do so. It's not a huge deal, but he probably could have handled it better.
KCup17
AG
It is what it is.

I saw that F16 started a thread on this topic. Most comments include "Soccer isn't a real sport anyways." LOL glad I don't spend much time on that board.
jeffk
AG
Yeah, there's never been a good soccer thread over there.
Texaggie7nine
USMNT will always be in a pickle over support because it is a catch 22. Average US sports fans will not respect and follow US soccer until they are one of the few dominate national teams every year, and we will never be the dominate team until US sports fans respect and follow US soccer so that youth athletes go into soccer as opposed to other sports that are more respected and followed here.
7nine
PatAg
AG
This is the analysis we were all waiting for

PatAg
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

USMNT will always be in a pickle over support because it is a catch 22. Average US sports fans will not respect and follow US soccer until they are one of the few dominate national teams every year, and we will never be the dominate team until US sports fans respect and follow US soccer so that youth athletes go into soccer as opposed to other sports that are more respected and followed here.
While most of this is right, I think we already get enough good young athletes into the sport. We were always behind in coaching and structure, and that is where we have been finally catching up to the world.
Just my opinion, you are definitely right about the public in general being front runners.
H.E. Pennypacker
AG
KCup17 said:

It is what it is.

I saw that F16 started a thread on this topic. Most comments include "Soccer isn't a real sport anyways." LOL glad I don't spend much time on that board.

F16 loves foreign misinformation but not foreign sports.
Pahdz
I mean...certainly GGG knows about this by now right and is in on it?
AgGrad99
AG

Quote:

When I saw Gregg make that behind the back bounce pass, i knew one of these woudl be posted today.

aggiephoenix02
AgGrad99 said:

Quote:

When I saw Gregg make that behind the back bounce pass, i knew one of these woudl be posted today.

I find it endearing. Gregg is tops in my book…
carl spacklers hat
PatAg said:

Funny stuff.

One thing that struck me watching the match and the cut away to Weston and DeAndre cracking up was, I think these guys really like playing for GGG. I hope that is the case. The play last night looked much more relaxed and fluid than the last few qualifiers (I know, totally different environment). If this team can keep that type of play up, they can make some noise in the WC.
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
jeffk
AG
What shoes was GB rocking last night though?
oragator
Pulisic sounded upset that so many Moroccans got tickets and it wasn't a true home game.
The US will always have this problem. Fans from these countries will give their last dollar to have a once in a lifetime chance to see the team from their ancestral country. American fans will say "I can see them play next time they are here" if stubhub is saying $300 for a decent ticket.
Doesn't excuse the few empty seats though, other than to say "don't have midweek friendlies against lower level interest teams in a small market like Cincinnati".
PatAg
AG
Probably a combo of so many Morocco fans, but Ive also seen that there were a LOT of empty seats.
akm91
AG
PatAg said:

Probably a combo of so many Morocco fans, but Ive also seen that there were a LOT of empty seats.
I think that was probably what Pulisic was alluding to. Based on reports there were approximately 6500 empty seats in a 26K stadium, about 25% empty.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
H.E. Pennypacker
AG
akm91 said:

PatAg said:

I think that was probably what Pulisic was alluding to. Based on reports there were approximately 6500 empty seats in a 26K stadium, about 25% empty.

I don't necessarily fault CP for wanting better home support, but let's be real. This would be a steep price for a friendly. Throw in the midweek 6:30 pm start, and it's like, come on. If you want a full house, charge $30 bucks a ticket. USMNT tickets are way pricier than other federations. Don't insult the intelligence of the fan base and try to tell us this is worthy of WCQ price tickets.
PatAg
AG
H.E. Pennypacker said:

akm91 said:

PatAg said:

I don't necessarily fault CP for wanting better home support, but let's be real. This would be a steep price for a friendly. Throw in the midweek 6:30 pm start, and it's like, come on. If you want a full house, charge $30 bucks a ticket. USMNT tickets are way pricier than other federations. Don't insult the intelligence of the fan base and try to tell us this is worthy of WCQ price tickets.
Yea, we're all on that same page already in this thread. If I had to guess, I doubt Pulisic is aware of the ridiculous pricing, or at least wasn't when he said that.
Furlock Bones
AG
H.E. Pennypacker said:

akm91 said:

PatAg said:

They don't care about a full house. The federation only cares about maximizing revenue. Fans be damned.
deadbq03
AG
Furlock Bones said:

H.E. Pennypacker said:

akm91 said:

PatAg said:

They don't care about a full house. The federation only cares about maximizing revenue. Fans be damned.
Simple economics says it ought to not work this way; however, they're basically relying on the same principle $Bill used in the Fran era: abusing fan loyalty. That is to say that if they would lose money by lowering prices to put butts in seats, then it means they're relying on there being a smaller number of very loyal fans who are willing to pay a whole lot more than market value.
Rudyjax
AG
AgGrad99
AG
That is freaking awesome

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.