*****Austin FC 2022 Season Thread Let's go Oaks!*****

23,943 Views | 428 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Beef Cheek
JCRiley09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It wasn't the most beautiful win by any stretch, but the Stuver and the defense locked it down and we figured out a way to score!

3 pts on the road!
fig96
AG
But can't complain about the second half, 1-0 away win down a man. Beautiful assist from Gallagher and a fantastic first touch from Urruti to set himself up for the little chip of the keeper for the win.

I will say that even up a man Montreal's attack looked pretty anemic, other than forcing a few corners they never felt particularly threatening (except for one or two defensive lapses on our part).
JT88
AG
Love what Gallagher contributed tonight. Not his natural position, but he was a difference-maker. It's always made me crazy that he is SO reluctant to use his speed and attack when there is space up the side. If he does that a couple more times, it actually opens things up through the middle. Teams too often cheat the back-pass b/c they know it's the one he tends to make…
Josey Wales: Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb mad dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is.
Furlock Bones
AG
Big western conference matchup tonight at Q2. Let's go Oaks.
JT88
AG
Glad we could claw back in the end.

Hate that the other team's offense consists solely of then poaching sloppy passed/receptions ss we play out of the back.

Plus I HATE Dallas FC.!!!

(Edit for spelling)
Josey Wales: Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb mad dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is.
JCRiley09
AG
Got a win on the road folks. 7 pts in three games in June. Not bad.
fig96
AG
And it was a BANGER.

JT88
AG
I think it bounced off the bar and on to the ground so hard it may have registered as seismic activity.
fig96
AG
Well that started off really ugly (down 2-0 inside 30 minutes) and ended in a 3-2 win, this team just doesn't quit. Also went down to 10 men on a very questionable second caution on Keller.

Driussi's equalizer, look at that ball from Gallagher:

And the winner from Urruti, that dummy from Driussi is a thing of beauty:
JCRiley09
AG
That second yellow on Keller was BS. But incredible grit to come back and win that one.

VHLM
Furlock Bones
AG
Ref should be demoted after that disaster. Proud of the boys for overcoming it all.
fig96
AG
Same guy from the Orlando match…shocking
ausag
AG
fig96 said:

Same guy from the Orlando match…shocking

The ref I dislike the most! Always finds a way to affect a match! Stop trying to get involved!
fig96
AG
DOMINATING 3-0 win over Atlanta, might have been our most complete match of the season. And 9 points from 3 road games in 10 days is seriously impressive.

Back home vs Houston on Tuesday…let's do this.
Furlock Bones
AG
Through 19 games it's safe to say Austin FC is a really good squad. 2 points behind LAFC. Equal goals. GD only 1 worse. We've also done it playing 3 more road games than LA. What a turnaround from last season.

And I'll say it again. I was very anti-Wolff. He's proven us all wrong.
fig96
AG
I feel like last season you could see what Wolff wanted to do but it just wasn't clicking for everyone (and we had some really bad lapses on defense). Tonight was also a great example of how well the club did addressing the needs we saw last season.

Our defense is still a bit suspect at times but Gabrielsen was an obvious upgrade at centerback, but even more important than him are the depth players we signed. We didn't have a flashy offseason but we seriously upgraded the bench, bringing on quality experience like Finlay and Felipe who were both lights out tonight. Last season we would've been relying on our late game subs like Stroud and Redes to play serious minutes.

We also had a signing earlier this week that wasn't mentioned here yet. Ecuadorian winger Washington Corozco signed on loan with an option to buy, he's a winger with pace that I'm guessing is a potential replacement for Dominguez. No telling how he pans out but he's a low risk signing, I'm interested to see if we move Dominguez on and have another potential DP in the transfer window.

JT88
AG
So much fun!

Houston reeling after stoppage-time loss to Dallas. Two teams headed in different directions. Expect it may get chippy early. Glad to have Danny back and Keller as an option.

With Cascante and Gabrielsen both in defending, we are tough to break down for an opposing offense. Just gotta not give away the easy/dumb ones for a quick counter.
jeffk
AG
Houston and Dallas drew with both teams scoring late in stoppage time.
aggielax48
AG
fig96 said:

I'm interested to see if we move Dominguez on and have another potential DP in the transfer window.

Transfer Rumor

Guessing Cecilio's days are numbered.
fig96
AG
aggielax48 said:

fig96 said:

I'm interested to see if we move Dominguez on and have another potential DP in the transfer window.

Transfer Rumor

Guessing Cecilio's days are numbered.
Yup, though there's also a few other options.

If the transfer fee is accurate then Rigoni pretty much has to be a DP, but we could buy Ring down with allocation money to be under the DP threshhold. But chances are, yeah, Dominguez is gone.
fig96
AG
As per rumored transfer target Emiliano Rigoni (and Austin FC runs a pretty tight ship so I'd assume this is all but confirmed), he just might be the dynamic winger I've been asking for. Check this thread of highlights:

Cowboy Curtis
AG
Some great goals tonight
aggiephoenix02
Cowboy Curtis said:

Some great goals tonight
That free kick goal over the wall was great!
AgRyan04
Fun game!

I'm on board with Gabrielson....has made some great plays
JCRiley09
AG
The team seems to be really cohesive right now. Love to see it!
Furlock Bones
AG
That was a fun game to be at last night.
Furlock Bones
AG
Another big match on the road tonight. Lafc have a tough road match at Nashville tomorrow. A win tonight will really ramp up the community shield chase.
AgRyan04
Unfortunate score at half....I feel we've been the better squad
JT88
AG
Pereira not playing well. Need to get the Dallas monkey off the back.
AgRyan04
***UNDEZ!

Great steal by Wolff to get that started
JCRiley09
AG
Wish we got all the points.

BUT TEXAS IS VERDE.
aggiephoenix02
Furlock Bones
AG
Would have loved a win. But hoisting the biggest trophy in soccer if not all of sport feels good.
fig96
AG
Feels like that draw is about right, they definitely could've had another goal as well.

A point away at your rival isn't a bad result at all, overall we're trending in a very good direction.
PatAg
AG
I like how Josh Wolff has the team playing, and made a lot of good moves in the offeason.

Meanwhile, our FC Dallas scouts and Front Office are basically batting 2 for 100 over the last 10 years.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.