Official Shortage in Houston

8,037 Views | 110 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Jim01
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Jim01 said:

Thought I'd bump this thread.

We were in Austin this weekend to play Lonestar, only had one linesman each game, and our Sunday game was a bit crazy. We played this team in the State Cup last year and their parents were very mouthy. To the point where Lonestar sent another coach over to stand at midfield on the parents side. I remember a parent noticed and was like "Hey coach! Why are you over here?" "They told me to come stand here." "Why?" Oh I don't know because you've been berating the ref about everything but the weather?

Yesterday they were mouthy again but this time so were their girls. I'm used to parents being loud and even coaches if they think the ref is bad, but I've never seen girls like this.

"That's a handball again! What the hell!!!!"

"That's a foul! Blow the whistle ref!!!"

"Call something! Ref this is ridiculous!!!!"

"Oh great, so you're going to call that but not the one down there? You're terrible!!!"

The ref finally lost it a bit at the end when they had a goal kick but the goalie mouthed off that there should have been a foul. The goal kick was the better option for her team but she wouldn't shut up so the ref said "Fine! What do you want? The foul or the goal kick? You want the foul? Great. Here!" And smashes the ball down as if to say "You're an idiot because the goal kick was better for your team in this position."

It was also annoying because our team typically relies on speed and skill to win, but we've learned to fight when we need to. I'd put it like this, we don't ever start the fight, but we'll finish it. They came out really aggressive so we pushed back and then they start yelling at the ref.

We had to keep our girls in control because a couple of them started yelling back at the other parents. We quickly got on them to keep their mouths closed, just kept calm, ignore the sidelines and just play the game.

Anyway, I was just really shocked at the level of abuse that ref put up with from the players on the field. Questioning her calls and authority left and right.

Sadly we tied 1-1. We were the better team but just couldn't convert the opportunities. Hurts because it really would have been nice to shut them up.

Side note: The game before had no linesman whatsoever. There was a run where one teams parents were screaming "Offside! Offside!" And the ref straight up told them. "I believe you, and you're probably right, but if it's less than 2-3 yards I can't always see that." She said it very respectfully and matter of factly, like "I can't do it all, so bear with me." The parents seem to accept her answer and I think respected how she handled it.
Refs need to use their yellow cards more for poor behavior by parents and players. They shouldn't have to but set the tone.

The only time I should have ever gotten one as a parent was a continued safety issue. That's not something I'll ever back down from.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
UIL has moved some games to Saturday to help make up for the ref shortage. Definitely not ideal.

I'll also say, there isn't enough "labor" in any field right now, right?
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
Mathguy64
AG
Ghost of Andrew Eaton said:

UIL has moved some games to Saturday to help make up for the ref shortage. Definitely not ideal.

UIL didnt do that. The local referee chapter did and basically said "We dont have enough referees for everyone on Tuesday and Friday so half the games will be Wednesday and Saturday. Here is how..."
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Mathguy64 said:

Ghost of Andrew Eaton said:

UIL didnt do that. The local referee chapter did and basically said "We dont have enough referees for everyone on Tuesday and Friday so half the games will be Wednesday and Saturday. Here is how..."
My mistake.
jessexy
AG
Jim01 said:

I think the same thing. Thankfully this team is an exception to the rule.

Though my daughter does play in the Dash Girls Academy, so a good percentage of these girls actually will have the opportunity to play in college, but regardless, have a little more class. I would even argue that is MORE reason for their girls to be better. I think some coaches and refs aren't going to put up with mouthy players.

I don't understand how people aren't more empathetic for how hard it is to ref. This was a 5:00 game and the refs had been doing multiple games. They showed up for these girls, so give them some respect. Sure it's all well and good to let them know if you thought a call was off, but geez! Be respectful.
I'll say two things I know about this:

1. College coaches ABSOLUTELY pay attention to the parents' sidelines while watching games and recruiting. Connecting the parent to the player over 90 minutes is not hard. Hell, it usually doesn't take 45 minutes. Unless the player is good enough to overcome the parent's mouth, sometimes the player is scratched from the coach's list. I've seen it done more than once. Hell, I've seen it done at the professional level more than once with the parent serving as the player's "agent".

2. I would suggest it's not the responsibility of the referee to manage or police the parent's sidelines. They are considered spectators and not apart of the game. The Laws of the Game specifically address items such as the field (Law 1), the players (Law 3), equipment (law 4), etc. It addresses coaches and staff members and all rostered personnel. What is does not address is spectators. They (parents) do not fall under the referee's jurisdiction.

Now, do some youth leagues ask refs to do it.... yes they do. And it's really not fair.

You ask for respect so the best thing to do is to make sure that your team's parents are respectful and don't create additional problems for the game. You can't control other teams' parents but you can definitely influence your team's parents. And yes the referees KNOW which sides the yelling is coming from. It shouldn't influence the referee's decisions, but it likely influences some of those subtle anticipation decisions that a referee makes 1000 times each game.
Jim01
AG
Agree with both of your points.

There was a girl on a team we were on a couple years ago whose mom was a PITA. Her daughter tried out for the Girls Academy (the parents request for a try out, not the coaches noticing her). She didn't make it, mainly I think because she wasn't at that level, but I was told by a parent very in the know that "Coaches talk. Her mom did not help her case at all."

I agree the ref shouldn't have to mess with the sideline. In our particular game I wish she would have dealt with the players better. Warning or even a yellow card they way they were yapping at her.

We've been very fortunate in our team. All the parents are good people, level headed, and relaxed (so far that is).

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.