******BTHO Arkansas******

4,848 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by mullokmotx
taylorswift13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Goodness these Arkansas girls are fast
MookieBlaylock
AG
Smith with a terrible header across own goal
Lucky miss
theNetSmith
AG
Score? How much time left?

On SECN+?
taylorswift13
AG
0-0 5 minutes left and is on SEC+ on the ESPN App
taylorswift13
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

Smith with a terrible header across own goal
Lucky miss

theNetSmith
AG
tyvm
TRM
AG
It's on the SEC Network for me.
BQ_90
AG
Free soccer. Extra time
taylorswift13
AG
Crazy how we've held the piggies scoreless when they're basically just been practicing corner kicks for 90 minutes
theNetSmith
AG
Trying to switch back over to Sling Orange from Blue and it's not going through. Arggh.
Aggie Futbol
Strong defensive effort. Strong team effort. Desperately need Pounds and Bates to step up. They need to be more physical and more aggressive on the ball. We've had so few opportunities to score. Would love to see more final third poise by Abel and McDonald.
Sports-Ag
AG
Damn
taylorswift13
Gap
AG
Just ran out of gas.

We didn't control the ball much at all for the last 50 minutes. And that cost us at the end.
Leeman
No mid-field play at all.
taylorswift13
AG
Well get our revenge in the SEC Championship
blake2003
AG
Yikes.
Gap
AG
Consecutive shutouts are no fun either.
alamoaggie64
AG
I wish Caldwell could kick it downfield instead of kicking it out of bounds and giving it back to Arkansas at mid-field.
taylorswift13
AG
It's okay everyone, we just went toe to toe against a tough team that has a lot of momentum with 4 of our starters out! It was a great defensive effort and will only make us better!
AgsSoccerFan
Zero offensive presence. Can't score, can't win.
alamoaggie64
AG
They were really fast and we were out of gas in 2nd half. Their 6 Super Seniors make a big difference, too.
Gap
AG
We need some W's against good to decent competition.

Watching Olivieri and Hayes on the sidelines I would hope they are back Sunday. They seem to be moving just fine.
Rambotx
Hope our injured players are able to return to the line-up soon.
Aggie Futbol
Pounds, Sample and Kolb needed to be much better on that scoring play by Arkansas. The injuries were brutal. The impact of not having these top players on the pitch was very evident.

After that very strong physical and emotional effort by the team it is a shame to see it end this way.
Marvin
AG
I keep waiting for a Coach G team to get over the hump. Seems like they are always close but never able to seal the deal offensively. Might be another year by the looks of it.

Just have to keep working, ladies.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
mullokmotx
AG
It seemed like we didn't win a single ball in the air the whole second half. McDonald needs to trust her speed more. Just before the goal Ali Russell barely missed getting her foot on the ball when the Arkansas keeper bobbled it. This season is starting to feel like 2016 with all the injuries.
mullokmotx
AG
A friend watching on tv texted me that Arkansas was offside just before the goal, and watching the replay it sure seems like a player was offside when the Arkansas player being guarded by Sample right on the penalty box line headed the ball toward the goal. The video on KBTX showed Katie Smith raise her arm to signify offside. The play is at 1:53:18 of the replay on the ESPN Watch app.
aggiewilliford

mullokmotx said:

A friend watching on tv texted me that Arkansas was offside just before the goal, and watching the replay it sure seems like a player was offside when the Arkansas player being guarded by Sample right on the penalty box line headed the ball toward the goal. The video on KBTX showed Katie Smith raise her arm to signify offside. The play is at 1:53:18 of the replay on the ESPN Watch app.

This is exactly what I told my husband. That was offside!
Gig Em Ags, God Bless Old Army and Marching in Behind the Band! Whooooopppp
Gap
AG
The play in question.

HiddenAg2
It was a tough way to lose tonight after such a valiant performance from a group that was outmanned and played their hearts out for each other. A&M had been an almost impenetrable wall of defense all night, swatting away chance after chance from Arkansas' elite forwards (both All-Americans) and a barrage of corner kicks (never seen so many against an A&M team at home). The way this team came out and fought so hard for every ball and just wanted it more than the Hogs in the first half was a lot of fun to watch. Some players that don't see a lot of minutes were given the opportunity tonight and they delivered. We won almost every 50/50 ball and frustrated the more talented skill players from Arkansas. If we had played this way with a full side all season, we'd only have maybe 1 loss. I'm so proud of how these girls handled themselves tonight against a truly unfair situation. They certainly deserved a tie for their efforts.

But in the end, the Razorbacks wore down a thin A&M squad and started winning most of the balls in the air and in the midfield, finally stringing together enough passes and possessions to set up scoring chances in the second half. A&M couldn't get out of its own end for long stretches, only kicking the ball forward to long runs where Arkansas just collected the ball and moved forward again, or just sending it out of bounds. A&M couldn't generate any real possession in the midfield in the last 30 minutes and continually turned it over in bad spots. McDonald had a great run through the entire Arkansas team and almost scored, but other than that we had very few chances on goal.

Injuries are always a big factor for teams competing for titles as staying healthy is key to a good season. Last year A&M was relatively injury free, leading to a conference title and deep run in the NCAAs. Unfortunately, this year has been the opposite, with now an absurd 4 (or 5 depending on how you see it) starters and several others with nagging injuries that keep them short of 100%. With Carroll and Olivieri already out for extended time (and Williams out for the season), suddenly losing both Hayes (calf) and Pante (unknown) (both of whom have been two of our best players to date) was just a gut punch to this team. Add to this Sample, Russell, and Katie Smith with various injuries, and it's just not a reasonable expectation to win games against good opponents. This would be akin to Arkansas losing both Goins and Podojil for this game. A&M has just had terrible luck with injuries this year.

The backline had a valiant effort after a few shaky performances lately. Sample had a strong game, her best in a while, and K. Smith looked a bit more like herself even with an annoying cast on her hand. They handled all the traffic and constant pressure from a direct Razorback team. Geczik had a really good game, especially in the first half, while Caldwell was solid as usual (except for long kicks down the right side of the field which were always out of bounds for some reason). The winning goal was unfortunate as we lost 3 consecutive headers in the box and the ball just fell to Podojil to tap in the back of the net. At first glance it looked like there might be an offside call but the offside player wasn't involved in the play afterward. And that happened just after A&M almost won the game on the other end with a bobbled cross from the Hog GK and Russell nearly tapping in the rebound.

A&M has had an epidemic of poor officiating this season, including tonight. I just don't understand what is going on with officials this year but they have been borderline awful and really don't know what constitutes a foul or even which team committed it. It's really a big problem that affects games and momentum.

A&M has lost back to back home games for the first time in 9 years, right after a long unbeaten streak. And now we've lost 4 in a row to the Razorbacks, which asks the question has Arkansas moved ahead of A&M as a program in the SEC? Colby Hale always seems to have the answer now against A&M, making the adjustments in the second half to win the game. The schedule has been brutal and only gets worse with Auburn on Sunday and then Tennessee and LSU on the horizon. We knew this could be a worst case scenario playing out so we'll have to just grind through it until hopefully some injured players return.
coloradoag69
AG
Arkansas just out manned us over the length of the game.

But the Pig player was definitely offside on the winning goal. I don't get that one at all.

I agree with Hidden about the overall officiating. Particularly, the Pigs were jumping over the backs of all our ladies for headers. There were also a number of hard tackles that should have been fouls, IMO.

What an unfortunate start for our season. Let's hope we don't lose anymore players.
BQ_90
AG
Quote:

A&M has had an epidemic of poor officiating this season, including tonight. I just don't understand what is going on with officials this year but they have been borderline awful and really don't know what constitutes a foul or even which team committed it. It's really a big problem that affects games and momentum.
When there is a whistle and both teams think it's on them, that's bad officiating.

A&M needs to wear tear away jerseys when they play Arkansas. I've never seen a team pull more jerseys and get away with it than Arky last night.

I guess G couldn't get another yellow, I know he had word with head official coming out for the second half.
mullokmotx
AG
There's a picture on the sports page of the Bryan Eagle of Makhiya McDonald's jersey getting stretched out. I think this occurred early in the 2nd half just before McDonald took a forearm to the back which knocked her down. I'm sure David Ellis said "No foul is called" on the radio broadcast.
KCup17
AG
Was watching when Arky scored the game winner and the goal scorer look clear offside. Little bit of a head scratcher.

Our finishing needs to improve. A moment that sticks out is when McDonald had a long run in the 2nd and beat a defender to have a clear shot on goal and put it right at the keeper for what was a really disappointing attempt. Didn't get to see any of the first half but the disparity in attempts/corners made me think we really didn't have any quality going forward.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.