******BTHO Arkansas******

4,821 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by mullokmotx
CDub06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Aggie soccer brings conference play to the friendly confines of Ellis Field this Thursday. Texas A&M faces off against Arkansas on Thursday at 6PM. They game will be carried live on the SEC Network.

The Aggies hobble a bit into this game against yet another highly ranked team. Arkansas is 6-2 on the season and has earned a #16 ranking nationally. Arkansas also tied with A&M as the preseason pick to win the conference. That wasn't much of a surprise as the two sides tied for the 2020 SEC Championship.

Arkansas opened the season with losses to a pair of ACC powerhouses. They lost 1-3 at Duke, then 0-1 at UNC in overtime. Since then, they have ridden a 6 game winning streak into this match. Notable wins include BYU (2-0) and Tennessee (3-1).

In all, Arkansas has outscored opponents 26-6 and has shutout 4 opponents. Scoring has been fairly distributed with 11 players scoring goals and 6 scoring multiple goals this season. Forwards Parker Goins (#22) and Anna Podojil (#16) share the team lead in goals (5) and assists (5). They've also matched each other in shots (19). Most fans should recognize both of these players as all-conference selections.

Podojil is certainly the player that receives the most press for Arkansas. She was 1st team All-American last year and has garnered SEC Forward of the Year and SEC Freshman of the year honors. She is also naturally on the MAC Hermann Award Watch List. Parker Goins has been around this program since 2017 and was named 1st Team All-SEC alongside her teammate over the last two years.

Senior Haley VanFossen is the heart of the Razorback defense. She is looking for her 4th consecutive All-SEC First Team honors and is among the talents on the MAC Hermann Award Watch List. She's been an anchor for a defense that has been stout since her arrival. Arkansas has limited opponents to 82 shots and 33 SOG (compared to their marks of 172 and 93).

Senior Goalkeeper Hannah Warner has allowed just 6 goals on the season while totalling 27 saves. Warner joined the squad from Oklahoma State during the spring 2021 portion of the 2020 season. She appeared in all 5 of the spring games, including Arkansas' two NCAA Tournament matches.

The Aggies lost to Arkansas in Fayetteville last season by a score of 1-2 and the Aggies are in the midst of a 3 game losing streak to the hogs. All time, the Aggies are officially 8-4 against Arkansas. (As a reminder: Arkansas claims 3 additional victories which came against non-scholarship Aggie club teams (prior to 1993), including a 1986 forfeiture).

I really hate to call this game a "must-win," but at this point it really does feel like the Aggies NEED this win. It's odd to see an unranked Aggie team play host to a highly ranked conference team. But on the surface, it seems like it should be a somewhat evenly matched game. The Aggies must contend with the fantastic forwards that Arkansas brings, especially the ELITE talent of Anna Podojil. The pair share an impressive 26.3% shot percentage and both place over 58% of their shots on goal. Obviously, this means that their shots need to be limited and we can't see those defensive miscues that will give them looks at the net. And man, have goals been hard to come by for the Aggies in these types of match ups. I think the scoreline will be 1-1 through 90' and then we'll be in for some really tense overtime moments.
CDub06
AG
Game Day
CDub06
AG
Promotions:
  • Class of 2024 Night
    • FREE admission for ALL members of the Class of 2024 wearing their 2024 NSC shirt.
  • Educator/Teacher Appreciation Night
    • Teachers/School Admins by showing a valid school I.D. can purchase discounted tickets at the group rate price ($3) on gameday. No advance purchases.
  • 12th Man Centennial Miniature 12th Man Statue Giveaway
    • Limited edition miniature 12th Man Statues will be available for the first 500 fans.
  • 12th Man Centennial - Vuvuzela Giveaway
    • Limited edition 12th Man Centennial Vuvuzelas will be available for the first 500 fans.
jeffk
AG
Vuvuzelas - Just like E. King Gill used to use.
mullokmotx
AG
I received a weekly Athletic Department Update email last night and no mention of the soccer game today except at the bottom in the list of upcoming home events. There was a story about mixed martial arts at Reed Arena but not the biggest home soccer game of the year.
HiddenAg2
Realistically right now a 1-1 tie would be a good result for us. Hoping for the best.
taylorswift13
AG
We must take care of the ball and take some shots! Arkansas has a stingy defense, so we must be aggressive!! Let's hope the 12th man shows up and girls are ready to bounce back!
greg.w.h
AG
I need a 12th Man Vuvuzela…now I have to steal a car and drive down!!!
taylorswift13
AG
Interesting changes before a big match

CDub06
AG
More injuries. Maile and Pante OUT
taylorswift13
AG
CDub06 said:

More injuries. Maile and Pante in boots.
ughhhhh that's horrible!! The injury bug is really after us this season!
taylorswift13
AG
The middle scares me we need sharp smart passes and can't afford to turn it over! I love McDonald's speed hopefully she can play with some patience too!
BQ_90
AG
Hayes has wrap around calf

I don't see anyone in boot
CDub06
AG
Yeah, I just noticed that and was about to correct myself on that. Was told she was in a boot earlier and wouldn't start. But she's not dressed and just has her leg wrapped. She seems ok otherwise…
Gap
AG
What is our pathway to a goal tonight?

What is the path to a win given the injuries?

Winning a high scoring game doesn't seem likely for us.
oklaunion
Maybe they won't kneel today.
Gap
AG
oklaunion said:

Maybe they won't kneel today.

Just the normal 2 for us. Arkansas had none which was impressive after Pepperdine having 13 on Sunday.
HiddenAg2
Disaster for us with both Hayes and Pants out. Unreal. Literally 4 of our best players out.
taylorswift13
AG
McDonald should have kept that!! Glad the vuvuzelas are loud and present
Anchorhold
I'm going to keep an eye out for one of those miniatures
Gap
AG
Is Britton out too?

Looking at our bench I see 4 potential subs based on playing time through the season - Russell, Abel, Matula, and Dumond.
taylorswift13
AG
From the broadcast!
Gap
AG
Is "unavailable" code for Covid protocol?
Gap
AG
0-0 at the half.

We played well given our injuries.
taylorswift13
AG
0-0 at the half!
Gap
AG
Hayes has on a compression sock on her lower leg. Isn't that usually a deep bruise?
coloradoag69
AG
Well, we didn't give up an early goal!

Aside from all the Pig cornerkicks, Arkansas really didn't have a serious shot, IMO. Maybe others will disagree.

We had a couple of potential chances that couldn't quite connect. One shot from distance almost got the far upper corner and a cross was almost mishandled by the goalie. Let's hope we can get more offense in the second half.

Anyone else think the Pig goalie is relatively short for a goalie? We may be able to get one in the upper part of the net, I hope.
HiddenAg2
A&M came to fight tonight. Amazing effort from a team that is completely outgunned.
Aggie Futbol
Love the effort but really frustrated with the poor passing and bad decision making.
taylorswift13
AG
I agree on the goalie part! We just need the opportunity to get off a clean shot!
taylorswift13
AG
Agree with everyone's sentiment on the effort by our girls! Maybe the Pepperdine game woke them up! They are bought in and hustling like crazy! Love to see it! We just need a playmaker!
MookieBlaylock
AG
McDonald playing much faster and with confidence

taylorswift13
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

McDonald playing much faster and with confidence

Shes so close to getting a goal!!!
TRM
AG
Gap said:

Is "unavailable" code for Covid protocol?
I don't think so in this case because I believe Daria and Kendall are roommates, so I'd expect Kendall would be out too if it was covid.
taylorswift13
AG
CAN CALDWELL KICK IT TO THE OTHER HALF OF THE FIELD AND STOP GIVING ME HEART PROBLEMS
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.