******BTHO Oklahoma State******

3,443 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by mullokmotx
Aggie Futbol
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We gave up a bad goal. Kolb completely lost her mark. Fairly normal for her. If our keeper is coming off of her line, she absolutely must get a hand in the ball. Other than that mistake, she played a fine game.
HiddenAg2
This is one of those games that although we earned a tie on the road, it felt like a loss. Much like the Sweet 16 matchup in the Spring, A&M dominated possession and chances on goal but came up short of the win. I thought the win actually got away from us in the first half where all the missed opportunities in the final third came back to bite us as it usually does (outshot the Cowgirls 20-9). There was some bad luck, but we have to be better in front of goal. It continued in the second half until we gave up a terrible equalizer that was misplayed by three different players with 4 minutes to play. That just cannot happen. Coming into the match I would have been happy with a tie, but I failed to do some research on an OSU squad that was a struggling 3-3 and without two of their best players (much like A&M). I was shocked at how OSU just sat back and gave us acres of space to operate in possession and create many offensive attacks. OSU was better in the second half, but still this is a game that should have been a comfortable 3-0 type win.

On the back line Karlina Sample had a very good game, maybe her best of the season. She stopped several breakaways and stepped up to intercept through balls that could have been dangerous. Katie Smith did run down and stifle some counterattacks, however, she also was beaten badly once when she didn't anticipate a pass forward which resulted in a 1v1 that Caldwell saved, and then she was beaten on the cross into the box for the winning goal. Macie Kolb was better in her forays forward and sent in some nice crosses, however, she also left her player unmarked for the tying header. Geczik was hit or miss but did have a few good corners and one free kick that almost scored. This group was exhausted at the end of the match and was one reason why we gave up the equalizer. Caldwell had a fine game up until her huge error on the equalizer when she meekly came out on the cross and missed the ball, allowing OSU to head the ball sharply past her and over the line where Sample couldn't keep it out. Had she stayed on her line it was an easy save. However, she did come up with two big saves earlier in the match, one on a breakaway and the other a diving save pushing the shot wide of goal.

The midfield was better today than in previous road matches, but that was mainly due to OSU not pressuring at all and playing for mistakes and counters. Mia Pante was much more active today than in recent outings with 4 shots as she had several good runs at goal and passes forward that probably should have been scored. She almost had the winning goal in OT after a great reverse move in the box, but slipped when shooting to the corner when the ball sailed just wide. We really need her play to continue to elevate as we enter conference play with Olivieri not available. Pounds had some unfortunate turnovers that led to OSU counter attacks and missed a point blank header in front of goal that was an easy finish if she heads down on the ball, while Bates continues her up and down play. Kate Colvin was good for the most part and she connected on several good passes through the middle and out wide for crosses. Boeckmann showed some flashes today and I think she will continue to improve throughout the season, hopefully winning one of the starting spots soon. McDonald had a nice game and I think she may be the best through ball passer on the team, with another couple of services forward that should have been finished. She also was clearly fouled in the box after making a quick move with the ball, a PK that would have given A&M a 2-0 lead. That's the second time on the road she's been robbed by an official (the other a critical non-call vs FSU that would have given A&M the early lead). I think she may be getting comfortable at the attacking mid position but I'd like to see her trust her speed a bit more and beat more defenders 1v1.

At forward we'll start with the positive, which was Maile Hayes goal of the year so far, setting herself up with a quick kick over a defender and then lining up a shot from 25 yards that screamed into the side netting. What a strike that was as Hayes continues to shine as a freshman, winning lots of balls with her pressure. She has become more active in shot taking as well, and just needs to finish off a few more to be a complete player. She almost had the game winner in OT off a nice header to the corner that was just pushed wide by the OSU GK. She was an absolute steal on the recruiting trail and criminally underrated. Unfortunately, Natalie Abel was ineffective and only played a half. Ali Russell is trying hard, but she just doesn't look the same out there with a bandaged leg. Her speed is down from the Spring and we need her to win more 50/50 balls and get more crosses into the box. But the biggest issue here is we need someone to step up and be a goal scorer instead of relying on midfielders to get the job done.

I don't know how the coaches stay so calm because I would have been furious at how this game concluded. You just cannot give up a tying goal with under 5 minutes to go, but unfortunately this not uncommon for Aggie soccer teams over the years. It's frustrating because A&M could have had a 5 game winning streak and have real momentum heading into our first SEC match on the road at Kentucky and then a tough home match against Pepperdine, with a team that is starting to gain some confidence in possessing in the midfield and getting wide to create more chances on goal. Instead, there are lingering question marks why most of our goals seem to come from distance and not in front of goal where the percentages are much higher to score consistently. Getting some players (Carroll, Olivieri) back from injury would help, but the current players have to do better. This young team has to learn how to close out close games and stop giving up silly goals. This team is now 0-2-1 on the road, which is not good enough and does not bode well for SEC away matches. Obviously the season is not going as planned and the SEC is going to be challenging with some teams (LSU, Auburn, Georgia) much better than anticipated. Currently #64 in the RPI, I'm genuinely concerned we will be fighting to keep our NCAA streak alive.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Good writeup, Hidden! Hayes and Pante our best bets for offense . MacDonald so far not measuring

up - in my opinion .
mullokmotx
AG
Box score says the attendance was 794. I expected more since they were playing us. G said last week that we had lost recruits because they had a new stadium. We have had a worse RPI at this stage of the season before,
Rambotx
With the number of corner kicks we took, would have liked to have seen Britton subbed in for her heading the ball capabilities during OT.
Aggie*_86
AG
Thanks Hidden! And all that without mentioning the serious problem of conversion rate of our PK's. Last 2 games I agree our main problem is on the offensive end with NUMEROUS point blank chances that just aren't getting coverted (like Pounds point blank, unmarked header vs OSU). PK's and these point blank opportunities HAVE to be converted. that is the difference between a 3-1 win or a 1-1 draw.
Aggie*_86
AG
mullokmotx said:

Olivieri injured her knee against Sam Houston. G says it is not a ACL but she had a big brace on it at the Southern game Wednesday. Has not played since.
Not to mention she was injured on a dirty play.
sharpdressedman
The nature of the game invites leg and foot injuries from frequent tackling that creates awkward, stumbling falls and entanglements of players' legs. My golf buddy is an orthopedic surgeon, and soccer injuries to knees and ankles are a significant segment of his practice.

I admire the courage and determination of the players, doing what they love to do.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Great analysis I had no idea foot and knee injuries were common
mullokmotx
AG
Chris Henderson of All White Kit had these tweets about the game.

September 13
NCAA - Oklahoma State vs Texas A&M

inStat Top Rated

1. Macie Kolb (A&M)
2. Maile Hayes (A&M)
3. Carissa Boeckmann (A&M)
4. Lauren Geczik (A&M)
5. Gabriella Coleman (OSU)

OSU leave it late but strike towards the end of normal time to salvage a much needed draw.

September 12
Oklahoma State are able to rescue a draw in Stillwater with a late equalizer against Texas A&M.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.