How do I pick an EPL team to follow?

8,625 Views | 130 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by ThunderCougarFalconBird
agsalaska
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jeffk said:

agsalaska said:

PIcking a team is completely unnecessary. Seems almost counterproductive and somewhat artificial to me.

I guess you could say this about any sport. I choose to invest my entire emotional well-being on them instead.
HAHA.

While very true for me too, I put enough stress into Aggie and other Texas sports teams. I don't need to add to that a team across the pond.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
DeangeloVickers
AG
I literally used this article to pick my team in 2006
COYS!
https://www.espn.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/060719
ChipFTAC01
AG
Wow. I remember reading that article 15 years ago (or maybe as its been reposted when we have these threads in occasion). Funny reading that from a historical perspective.

I miss Bill Simmons jn my life. Is he still a big Spurs fan? I was sure he was going to pick LFC for all of the obvious reasons.
aTmAg
AG
I always found the concept of "picking a team" interesting. Why do people who live in DFW cheer for the Cowboys even if they have nothing to do with it, for example? They never played on or worked for the team. They don't own it. They happen to live near them.

My theory is that we have evolved to be tribal in order to survive. Joining forces with people who live near you helps save your live from marauders or invading armies. So we are naturally inclined to root for a local team. Why we'd root for a particular team in England? Who the hell knows.

I personally tend to root for particular people on those teams, not the team itself. If/when those people get transferred, I root for their new team.
Rudyjax
AG
aTmAg said:

I always found the concept of "picking a team" interesting. Why do people who live in DFW cheer for the Cowboys even if they have nothing to do with it, for example? They never played on or worked for the team. They don't own it. They happen to live near them.

My theory is that we have evolved to be tribal in order to survive. Joining forces with people who live near you helps save your live from marauders or invading armies. So we are naturally inclined to root for a local team. Why we'd root for a particular team in England? Who the hell knows.

I personally tend to root for particular people on those teams, not the team itself. If/when those people get transferred, I root for their new team.
Very true.. High school pride? You chose to live in that area and it was not because it was Flower Mound or Flower Mound Marcus, but you take pride in your school.

agsalaska
AG
aTmAg said:

I think you answered your question from the first paragraph in your second paragraph.

I am a Cowboys/Rangers/Mavericks and a little bit of Astros fan. But I am much more enthusiastic about anything A&M over any pro team I'm sure because I have an A&M degree on my wall. I'd rather see any A&M team win an NCAA championship long before seeing the Cowboys win the SB.

But your right. It's just tribal loyalties on pro fandom. And to a certain extent college fandom for those that didn't attend the schools they root for, though in those circumstances they may have relatives or friends who went there or worked there.

I also go for players over teams in the EPL.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
RockW1997
AG
Well for me in 1982 I stated following Arsenal because I like the logo. Find your own reasons to follow a club. But always enjoy the game.
DeangeloVickers
AG
KCup17
AG
So has a team to support been selected?
Fall92
AG
The Seagulls or gtfo.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
DenverAg91
AG
https://www.premierleague.com/usa-bar-finder

Additional question: when will this be updated? Closer to when the season starts?

Interested in finding a bar that shows the games.
ChipFTAC01
AG
It lists 7 for Houston but it won't pull up the map in my phone. Curious what they are.
DenverAg91
AG
That's the issue I'm having.
oh no
AG
I tried mobile and on computer. Bars do not seem to load on either.
ptothemo
AG
I can't promise that all of these are up to date or 100% correct as I've been out of the bar scene for a while, but following are the ones that I feel pretty decent about being correct.

Arsenal - Richmond Arms has always been the place I've known and gone to, but the official bar of the Houston Gooners is Public House Heights - also some connection to The Phoenix
Tottenham - Pimlico Irish Pub
Liverpool - Hugh O'Connors - I think Ron's Pub too, IIRC
Manchester United - King's Court
Manchester City - The Phoenix
Chelsea - King's Court or True Anomaly Brewery??
Everton - used to be Bar Munich but that's closed so not sure
West Ham - Nick's Place
Crystal Palace - The Phoenix
Aston Villa - The Phoenix

Realizing it's on the list quite a few times, I will say that The Phoenix on a Premier League day is a lot of fun. There are almost always supporters of just about every club, so it doesn't generally get completely taken over.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Hugh O'Connor's is the official LFC-Houston bar but Ron's is a proper fan bar for Liverpool.
TXAggie2011
AG
I love The Phoenix

You'll see plenty of supporters of numerous teams every weekend match day. They brew a few of their own beers, too
Serotonin
AG
1. Pick a city that you'd enjoy traveling to for a vacation: London.
2. Pick a team that you're sure will be in EPL: Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham.
3. Pick a team that's easy to get to on tube: Arsenal, Chelsea.
4. Pick a team that plays on it's historic grounds and not in a generic NFL stadium: Chelsea.

Done, welcome to the family.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
ptothemo said:

Everton - used to be Bar Munich but that's closed so not sure
We use The Phoenix now too. Vu is usually cool about opening early if your group requests it.
Rudyjax
AG
Serotonin said:

1. Pick a city that you'd enjoy traveling to for a vacation: London.
2. Pick a team that you're sure will be in EPL: Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham.
3. Pick a team that's easy to get to on tube: Arsenal, Chelsea.
4. Pick a team that plays on it's historic grounds and not in a generic NFL stadium: Chelsea.

Done, welcome to the family.
DenverAg91
AG
Bumping this post to ask which EPL podcast recommendations do you have?
ChipFTAC01
AG
Men in Blazers is the lighthearted NBC podcast. Doesn't get too much depth outside of big 6 (plus Everton). I enjoy Two Robbies. And then I listen to a few Liverpool focused ones. I don't know if the Athletic has a general EPL one for the whole league but if they do I bet it's great like everything else they do.
Strangely Attractive
AG
I was in the same boat as you like 16 years ago. My first criteria was: I want them to play an entertaining style, I want them to have at least a chance to win big (a lot of clubs don't), and I want to like their uniforms (kinda silly I know). I also later settled for picking a team in London because that's where I would likely go when going to the UK. I started watching Chelsea but they had a bunch of ******bags on their team at the time. I eventually fell in love with Arsenal. They tick all the boxes that I've mentioned, and mostly because they played with a beautiful style.

Since then I've become a huge Arsenal fan. They have some great podcasts that I listen to several times a week that are informative and hilarious. Love following them at the Londoner in Dallas, and met some good friends through that. My favorite sport now right behind Aggie sports.
Strangely Attractive
AG
If it's Arsenal, I recommend Arsenal Vision and Arsecast. Both great.
Nick221
Interesting topic. I used to watch only The Super Bowl, but one of my friends persuaded me to watch EPL together (I even found the needed apps here to watch the games on firestick). It will start in several days and I should say I feel excited. As for the team to follow, I haven't chosen yet. I decided that I'll decide when I see the games and players.
bularry
started watching EPL with interest back in '12 so I hopped on the light blue 'new rich' club.

I'm not a super fan or anything, and still a bit of a soccer idiot, but I definitely think it is more fun having 'a team'. and you also learn to really hate other teams, like I hate Tot and Chelsea
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Strangely Attractive said:

Arsecast
Sounds like something you'd need for a broken tail bone.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.