How do I pick an EPL team to follow?

8,588 Views | 130 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by ThunderCougarFalconBird
DenverAg91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Newbie thinking of following pro soccer, haven't been to England but from what I've heard that is the most popular league to follow.

Any recs on how to pick a team if you haven't been to England?

I'm sure this has been asked numerous times so apologies in advance.
gcracker13
AG
You pick Tottenham because they most closely resemble the Ags. Lots of money, all the talent, can never put it together to finish top 3 no matter what
wangus12
AG
Be prepared for every single person on here to try and tell you their team most closely resembles A&M
Agvet12
AG
Liverpool or bust - You'll never Walk Alone

Honestly just pick anyone other than Man City
jay07ag
AG
gcracker13 said:

You pick Tottenham because they most closely resemble the Ags. Lots of money, all the talent, can never put it together to finish top 3 no matter what

Bahaha solid take.
wangus12
AG
My recommendation is to not pick a team right now. When the season restarts, just sit down and watch matches. Find a team or even a player that catches your eye, whether it be the way they play or something else. You'll eventually find yourself gravitating towards a team pretty quick
gcracker13
AG
It really just depends on if you want to follow a front runner or not. Man City and Liverpool both play extremely exciting football but to me it's like cheering for the Yankees
heddleston
AG
Don't pick one yet. Watch a bunch of games, find a style you like, players you enjoy. Read up on team histories and see if something connects with you. If it does, roll with it.

If it ends up being Manchester City, great! They're really good at the soccering and you'll probably enjoy it! The people who rag on them are only jealous that they got the sugar daddy they always dreamed of for their team and they didn't. It's a great window into how other football fans would be about the Ags if we actually start winning stuff with Jimbo.

If it ends up being Everton, huzzah! They're just good enough to make you hope and then they rip your still beating heart out of your chest and then smash it before your eyes with a comically large wooden mallet! We love it!

jay07ag
AG
I've been a Chelsea fan for about 20 years (when I first started following the EPL). When I started following the EPL it seemed like every American I knew that followed soccer pulled for Arsenal, ManU or Liverpool. I just wanted to pull for someone different and who I thought could be relevant in the near future and I liked John Terry and Frank Lampard. I would suggest watching 2020 Euro this summer and find a few EPL players you like watching playthen choose the team you like based on the players you like.
Rudyjax
AG
Chelsea. They have a prominent American.
tk for tu juan
Leeds United, good enough for the Kaiser Chiefs good enough for me. Look at the chart below, it almost follows the Aggie Football history, lol

DenverAg91
AG
Is the EPL the easiest league to watch on TV?

I know the big 5 leagues are in Germany, England, Italy, France, and Spain.
Mathguy64
AG
I suggest finding at least 2. Find one of the big 6/7 and one of the smaller clubs. That gives you 2 matches most match days to have a rooting interest.
jay07ag
AG
DenverAg91 said:

Yes, it's the most televised here in the states (of the big Euro leagues)
DenverAg91
AG
What channels do I need for European soccer watching?
An Ag in CO
AG
Just don't pick one of the Super League six. Those clubs, their owners, and fans are beyond redemption. Tottenham hasn't won a league title since the very early 1960s and I've never understood the sense of entitlement (though much less than the other 5). B&H would be a good choice.
jay07ag
AG
DenverAg91 said:

What channels do I need for European soccer watching?

NBC Sports has the American TV deal for EPLnot sure about the other leagues
heddleston
AG
EPL is on NBC networks and Peacock.

German Bundesliga and Spanish La Liga are ESPN/ESPN+.

The Champions League and Italian Serie A are Paramount+ and maybe big games on CBS or CBS Sports
heddleston
AG
No matter what people on this thread say, no one is ever going to give you a medal for deciding to make yourself watch ***ty soccer week on week out. If you end up rooting for a mid tier or bad team, it's still fun, but it doesn't make you any more a real or better soccer fan than if you hitch your wagon to whatever the new hotness is. I say this as an Everton fan and an absolute MLS homer.
DenverAg91
AG
Speaking of bad teams, from what I know of European soccer there is relegation.

What happens if I pick team X as my EPL team and the next year they are relegated to a lower league? Would I still be able to watch them on TV the following season?

I doubt those lower level league games are broadcast here
heddleston
AG
The lower league(called the Championship, no it's not confusing, shut up) has some of their games on ESPN+, but not all of them. ESPN+ does carry all of the playoffs (the 3rd-6th place teams battle for the last bid into the EPL) though, as well as the FA Cup. The FA Cup is a single elimination tournament that technically every soccer team in England is eligible for.
wangus12
AG
In terms of England, ESPN+ carries the lower division games
Mustang1
AG
Give this a watch:

Max Power
AG
Kevin the 3-legged dog said:

Chelsea. They have the prominent American.
awall11
AG
Be careful. You could be like me. Chose Tottenham because of Clint Dempsey. Stayed because of Gareth Bale. Now 10 years later I've got nothing but heartache and mediocrity to show for it

It really is the hope that kills you
gcracker13
AG
We have Sonny <3
MB19
AG
1) Chelsea. I've been following them since '96.
2) Brentford. Just promoted to the top flight of English football for the first time in 74 years.
3) Pick one of the others.

Just enjoy it.
cp2011
AG
gcracker13 said:

Spurs fan here. Can confirm
Rudyjax
AG
awall11 said:

Be careful. You could be like me. Chose Tottenham because of Clint Dempsey. Stayed because of Gareth Bale. Now 10 years later I've got nothing but heartache and mediocrity to show for it

It really is the hope that kills you

Well at least Bale is back.
Max Power
AG
Some good stuff on the streaming services I'll recommend, most is on Amazon.

Amazon
All or Nothing: man city
All or Nothing: Tottenham
Take us home: Leeds United
Make us dream (about Steven Gerrard of Liverpool)
This is football

Netflix
Sunderland Till I Die, this is really good to see as a comparison to Leeds United, Sunderland is an absolute train wreck, Leeds triumphed after an ownership change. Having a good owner and leadership structure is so important to succeed in the EPL. So many thing on the Sunderland show will drive you crazy.
_lefraud_
AG
I like James Bond

Bond drives an Aston Martin

I root for Aston Villa

Doesn't make any sense at all but its literally how I chose a club 10 years ago. I've seen them be relegated and fight their way back up, nothing like it. Now we have some legit pieces in place, but will probably lose Grealish and be back in the bottom third of the league.
deadbq03
AG
jay07ag said:

DenverAg91 said:

Yes, it's the most televised here in the states (of the big Euro leagues)
Call me crazy, but I prefer the Bundesliga's rights on ESPN/ESPN+ over NBC/Peacock. EPL gets more live TV but if you're gonna have to pay for a subscription to watch your team, it's nice to have one that's useful otherwise.

It's not Premier League, but I'll tell you my story: in 2010 I fell in love with International soccer during the WC. After the 2016 Euros, I was convinced I needed to pick a club to watch. I decided to choose based on family heritage. My family has strong ties to the Saxony region of Germany, but alas, there weren't any top flight teams from there. The next year, Leipzig got promoted and I've followed ever since.

So that's an alternative criteria for selecting a club: dig up your family history and follow a team.

A similar one I've heard of people doing is to pick an area you'd like to visit and choose a team from there (hint: in the EPL, that means you want to pick a London team).

Short of a semi-legitimate reason like the above, I'd agree with others who've said to just watch and let it come naturally. I don't follow Premier League closely, but I do enjoy watching when I can and have naturally fallen into liking some teams and not liking others. Someday I may settle into one single EPL team I follow but I kinda doubt it. I enjoy watching good soccer as a neutral. And even with my choice to follow Leipzig in the Bundesliga, I hold it loosely. There have been times we've lost and I've still thoroughly enjoyed the match. Having a loose association to a team has taught me how to be a better fan when I watch other sports.
heddleston
AG
Yep, as a one stop shop for top tier soccer, ESPN+ is hard to beat. I haven't committed to a Bundesliga team, so I like to text a buddy on Mondays and ask him for spoiler free game recommendations and then watch the replays throughout the week.

Has NBC said what their coverage for this coming EPL season will be like since they killed off NBC Sports? This season was ridiculous, I never knew where the games I wanted were going to be streamed, and half the time I couldn't get their stupid apps to work.
Here4goodSoccer
I was a ManU fan for years and my husband decided to randomly choose a team to try and get into EPL with me. He chose Wolverhampton Wanderers. By far my favorite two years watching the EPL because there were never expectations to win a trophy.

He chose his team by the cool logo. Though many have said choose one of the top 6, look at the teams that aren't disappointing every time they aren't in contention for a top 4 spot. Makes the games more fun and you can follow up and coming stars.

Also you could just follow favorite players and root for them.
wangus12
AG
These days I pretty much just sail the high seas to watch games
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.