Champions League

4,325 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by deadbq03
deadbq03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Superblood Wolfmoon said:

Mustang1 said:

deadbq03 said:

Man, Salzburg is getting robbed.
Now 2-2

That got ugly quickly.
No joke. it was 2-2 still at 78'
AGC
AG
deadbq03 said:

DeangeloVickers said:

Premier teams are doing excellent all wins only one tie.
All sitting at the top of their group

Group B is drunk!
1. Shaktar 4
2. Gladbach 2
3. Inter 2
4. Real Madrid 1
Gladbach is getting things off to a great start today.

Now we need a Real-Inter draw to keep this madness going.

Whew! Too close!
deadbq03
AG
Group B still doing Group B things so far today.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Weston McKennie goal!!!

Man United down 2-0 early
KCup17
AG
McKennie's goal was world class
Mathguy64
AG
For those following the mess in Paris, it's being reported that the 4th O referred to the IB coach as "that black coach". The crew is Romanian and he said it in Romanian and if you put that phrase into google translate you will see what the issue is. The coach went nuts at the 4O and that's what prompted the red card against him and the subsequent walking off by both teams. This is bad.
lamivudine
Mathguy64 said:

For those following the mess in Paris, it's being reported that the 4th O referred to the IB coach as "that black coach". The crew is Romanian and he said it in Romanian and if you put that phrase into google translate you will see what the issue is. The coach went nuts at the 4O and that's what prompted the red card against him and the subsequent walking off by both teams. This is bad.
could it be just something lost in translation. I don't see how referring to someone who is black, black being racist?

Plus with mics, and witnesses you are pretty guaranteeing the end of your career in reefing.
Mathguy64
AG
The word for "black" in Romanian translates to "negru". It's not a good look.
lamivudine
Mathguy64 said:

The word for "black" in Romanian translates to "negru". It's not a good look.
yeah same in Spanish but still don't seeing it being racist...Like if I go to a latin American country they say this white guy or something I dont' take it as being derogatory.
PatAg
AG

More context, but considering the history of actual racism in Europe at the professional level, you should be able to understand how referring to the coach of the team as "that black guy" is offensive.

This is Champions League, I don't think it would be expecting to much for the 4th official to know who every player is.
lamivudine
yeah I can see that incentive but racist? Shutting down a game over it? Seems bit over the top.
Mathguy64
AG
lamivudine said:

yeah I can see that incentive but racist? Shutting down a game over it? Seems bit over the top.
You understand that it sounds an awful lot like "ala negro"? It's a really bad look.
lamivudine
Mathguy64 said:

lamivudine said:

You understand that it sounds an awful lot like "ala negro"? It's a really bad look.
so you are saying the ref of all places to show is racism did it here? To put his career on the line that he worked hard to get to? I get why its insensitive to say but again to throw a fit and end a CL game is too much. Good lord.
deadbq03
AG
The immediate comment from the PSG player is quite telling.

These guys deal with officials from different languages week-in, week-out. I'll defer to them as to what is appropriate or not, especially those on the other team.
PatAg
AG
lamivudine said:

You are making the mistake of viewing this as an isolated incident. They have people hoot like monkeys and throw bananas on the field
Mathguy64
AG
lamivudine said:

Mathguy64 said:

lamivudine said:

so you are saying the ref of all places to show is racism did it here? To put his career on the line that he worked hard to get to? I get why its insensitive to say but again to throw a fit and end a CL game is too much. Good lord.

I don't think the 4O thought about what he was saying and the implications. He was speaking in Romanian to the Referee who is Romanian. And he chose a really poor phrase. To compound it the language of international matches is English. Every bit of communication between refs players and coaches would be in English. So if the coach things he's being called that word in English you can imagine the mess it's made.
PatAg
AG
Mathguy64 said:

lamivudine said:

Mathguy64 said:

lamivudine said:

I don't think the 4O thought about what he was saying and the implications. He was speaking in Romanian to the Referee who is Romanian. And he chose a really poor phrase. To compound it the language of international matches is English. Every bit of communication between refs players and coaches would be in English. So if the coach things he's being called that word in English you can imagine the mess it's made.
I think it was a player and not a coach, as well. Not that it really matters
Mathguy64
AG
It was Demba Ba who was going crazy on tne video.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Looks like They are fixing to restart

I just don't see that big of a problem
The fat guy
The bald guy
The black haired guy
Etc
Etc
Hear what you want to hear
Believe what you want to believe
lamivudine
Harrel calls Donic ***** ass white boy play continues. Ref calls out who should be carded says black guy...Match cancelled and all hell breaks loose..What a world.
PatAg
AG
lamivudine said:

Harrel calls Donic ***** ass white boy play continues. Ref calls out who should be carded says black guy...Match cancelled and all hell breaks loose..What a world.
meh
Dre_00
lamivudine said:

Mathguy64 said:

lamivudine said:

so you are saying the ref of all places to show is racism did it here? To put his career on the line that he worked hard to get to?

Um...yes?

Speech is often not a conscious effort. Especially colloquialisms or the manner in which you speak. Everyone has these hidden things in the way they talk that are developed and they are unconscious. Think of the person you know who says "like" a lot when they talk even if it doesn't actually add anything to the thought they are communicating. Or somewhat differently, think of people who on occasion cuss if they get angry (raising my hand on this one). I've definitely accidentally dropped a four letter word in environments where I shouldn't. It's exceedingly rare but it has happened because I don't control it when I'm alone dropping f-bombs as I watch United screw up their CL hopes.

I'm not going to arbitrate whether what he said is offensive in Romania or not because I know exactly zero about Romanian society. Plus, it's practically irrelevant whether it is or isn't acceptable in Romania. But this notion that the ref can't be racist because it would be illogical for him to show his racism in such an environment is 100% false. It presumes that racial slurs or the style in which we communicate are conscious decisions and they usually aren't.
Dre_00
lamivudine said:

Totally the same thing. 100%. No false logic in this comparison. Not even a little.
akm91
AG
PatAg said:

Mathguy64 said:

lamivudine said:

Mathguy64 said:

lamivudine said:

I think it was a player and not a coach, as well. Not that it really matters
The 4O should've referred to the player by the # instead of the color of the player's skin. I have no idea if the 4O is or intended the comment to be racist, but it all could've been avoided if he had just used the player #.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
lamivudine
Dre_00 said:

lamivudine said:

Mathguy64 said:

lamivudine said:

so you are saying the ref of all places to show is racism did it here? To put his career on the line that he worked hard to get to?

Um...yes?

Speech is often not a conscious effort. Especially colloquialisms or the manner in which you speak. Everyone has these hidden things in the way they talk that are developed and they are unconscious. Think of the person you know who says "like" a lot when they talk even if it doesn't actually add anything to the thought they are communicating. Or somewhat differently, think of people who on occasion cuss if they get angry (raising my hand on this one). I've definitely accidentally dropped a four letter word in environments where I shouldn't. It's exceedingly rare but it has happened because I don't control it when I'm alone dropping f-bombs as I watch United screw up their CL hopes.

I'm not going to arbitrate whether what he said is offensive in Romania or not because I know exactly zero about Romanian society. Plus, it's practically irrelevant whether it is or isn't acceptable in Romania. But this notion that the ref can't be racist because it would be illogical for him to show his racism in such an environment is 100% false. It presumes that racial slurs or the style in which we communicate are conscious decisions and they usually aren't.
Um yes? Yea buddy he worked is way to being CL official just so he could put a black person in his place. What a clown world.
lamivudine
Dre_00 said:

lamivudine said:

Totally the same thing. 100%. No false logic in this comparison. Not even a little.
Just admit its ok to be racist toward white people let it out.
Dre_00
lamivudine said:

Dre_00 said:

lamivudine said:

Mathguy64 said:

lamivudine said:

Um...yes?

Um yes? Yea buddy he worked is way to being CL official just so he could put a black person in his place. What a clown world.
Yeah that's not what I said.
Dre_00
lamivudine said:

Dre_00 said:

lamivudine said:

Just admit its ok to be racist toward white people let it out.
See post above.
deadbq03
AG
Ajax-Atalanta heating up. Ajax making subs to score at all costs to break the draw.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.