German league

13,920 Views | 112 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by jeffk
Legal Custodian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bayern - Hoffenheim match delayed in the 75th minute due to visiting Bayern fans holding up a sign calling the President/Owner of Hoffenheim a SOB.
Legal Custodian
AG
Match started back up and all the players pass it back between each other for the last 15min as an F You to the Bayern fans.
Aggie95
AG
Legal Custodian said:

Bayern - Hoffenheim match delayed in the 75th minute due to visiting Bayern fans holding up a sign calling the President/Owner of Hoffenheim a SOB.

it wasn't just the Bayern fans...the teams own fans protested because their owner is a local rich businessman.
Legal Custodian
AG
Aggie95 said:

Legal Custodian said:

it wasn't just the Bayern fans...the teams own fans protested because their owner is a local rich businessman.

I must have missed that. All I saw was the picture of the Bayern fans holding up the sign.
deadbq03
AG
Dude must be awful. Bayern fans don't even protest Leipzig that vigorously.

And man, Bayern destroyed them even without Lewy.
Legal Custodian
AG
The Zerkzee kid is going to be awesome. He'll show pretty well over the next month
oh no
AG
I'm attending a Hoffenheim away match in a couple of weeks. Paderborn's stadium. Should I protest? How dare a rich guy buy a club and invest in good players!
Rudyjax
AG
I don't get it.

Why pause the game because of a banner?

Am I missing something ?

B$Weigem
AG
The Euro soccer culture is so weird about things like that.
deadbq03
AG
oh no said:

I'm attending a Hoffenheim away match in a couple of weeks. Paderborn's stadium. Should I protest? How dare a rich guy buy a club and invest in good players!
Bundesliga requires 50% + 1 vote to be owned by the club members. A couple clubs were grandfathered in and are partially hated (Wolfsburg was a VW workers club, Leverkusen was a Bayer workers club), a couple others have backdoored their way in and are universally hated (Hoffenheim; Leipzig). Lower divisions in Germany don't have the same requirement, so if you have gobs of money, you could buy a 5th division team, pump money into them, watch them get promoted and then petition the Bundesliga to allow you to exist.

That kind of patience in a sports investment would be applauded in the US but it's anathema in Germany. And the reason isn't merely their existence in the top flight, but that they did it by uncompetitively outspending all the minnows in every lower division that they trounced on their way up. Ironically though, Germans don't seem to bat an eye that Bayern grossly outspends the Bundesliga.

I have mixed feeling about it, even as a huge Leipzig fan, but the protests are hugely hypocritical coming from Bayern fans.
PatAg
AG
They'd rather protest a rich owner than racism apparently, though Germany doesn't have as big a problem as Italy or any of the more eastern european leagues.
B$Weigem
AG
deadbq03 said:

oh no said:

Bundesliga requires 50% + 1 vote to be owned by the club members. A couple clubs were grandfathered in and are partially hated (Wolfsburg was a VW workers club, Leverkusen was a Bayer workers club), a couple others have backdoored their way in and are universally hated (Hoffenheim; Leipzig). Lower divisions in Germany don't have the same requirement, so if you have gobs of money, you could buy a 5th division team, pump money into them, watch them get promoted and then petition the Bundesliga to allow you to exist.

That kind of patience in a sports investment would be applauded in the US but it's anathema in Germany. And the reason isn't merely their existence in the top flight, but that they did it by uncompetitively outspending all the minnows in every lower division that they trounced on their way up. Ironically though, Germans don't seem to bat an eye that Bayern grossly outspends the Bundesliga.

I have mixed feeling about it, even as a huge Leipzig fan, but the protests are hugely hypocritical coming from Bayern fans.

Exactly. When I was in Germany a few years back at a Sports University, every single German thought the Munchen organization was as clean as any. I had to try very hard not to laugh as it reminded me of tsip delusion.
deadbq03
AG
Congrats on moving up to 2nd, BVB fans.

Leipzig with two draws in a row.
Marcus Aurelius
AG
Leipzig isn't done. Bayern will be tough to catch. I am really hoping BVB can best PSG this week in leg 2 of KO UEFA.
deadbq03
AG
Bundesliga wants to end the current season by June 30 and is looking to come up with a solution for closed-door matches.

https://www.bundesliga.com/en/bundesliga/news/dfl-ordinary-assembly-resolves-extensive-adjustments-to-the-licensing-process-to-ease-the-strain-on-clubs-10705?utm_source=google%20post&utm_medium=organic
deadbq03
AG
Teams are back in training and a plan is in place for games resuming next month:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/04/08/sports/germany-soccer-coronavirus.amp.html
deadbq03
AG
Bundesliga approves a May 9 start, pending government approval.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/52379825
Legal Custodian
AG
Bundesliga expected to start up on May 15th. Expecting the German Government/Merkel to announce it tomorrow. Apparently most teams are back to training and are being tested on a bi-weekly basis.

10 more days until Bayern's title run continues!

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11881/11983415/bundesliga-return-angela-merkel-to-announce-restart-date-on-wednesday

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-8287775/Bundesliga-return-15-German-government-gives-green-light.html

Here is the New York Times pretty much saying it shouldn't open because 10 players or staff just tested positive during training last week.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/04/sports/soccer/coronavirus-german-soccer-bundesliga.html
Furlock Bones
AG
deadbq03
AG
Legal Custodian said:

Here is the New York Times pretty much saying it shouldn't open because 10 players or staff just tested positive during training last week.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/04/sports/soccer/coronavirus-german-soccer-bundesliga.html
If you did blanket testing in any other industry that's been back to work for a month, I bet you'd see much worse results than 10 out of 1,724. These guys are gonna miss out on lots of money if they can't get back to work... they're taking this very seriously.

Edit to add: the only halfway legitimate criticism I've heard is that this is going to use 20,000 tests that could be used in the general population since these same 1700 are gonna get tested twice a week.
Legal Custodian
AG
Also sounding like Sane and Bayern have agreed to a contract. Bayern and Manchester City are still negotiating a transfer fee
OregonAggie
AG
https://www.espn.com/soccer/german-bundesliga/story/4092272/coronavirus-bundesliga-to-become-europes-first-major-league-to-resume

Play should resume the weekend of May 15 or May 22nd!
PatAg
AG
I'm pumped
Legal Custodian
AG
PatAg said:

I'm pumped
Me too! Just wish bars/pubs would open up in Texas so I can go watch.
gougler08
AG
Thank God for live sports coming soon
gambochaman
AG
announced today, May 16th restart!!
akm91
AG
"Journalism" is pretty bad these days.

Quote:

There are more Americans playing in Germany than the entire rest of Europe combined, and we will get to see them dawn their kits once more.
Really?
PatAg
AG
akm91 said:

"Journalism" is pretty bad these days.

Quote:

There are more Americans playing in Germany than the entire rest of Europe combined, and we will get to see them dawn their kits once more.
Really?
What article was that in?
TXAggie2011
AG
Its from "muncyman22" on Stars and Stripes on SB Nation. He also screws up a verb tense in the same paragraph. https://www.starsandstripesfc.com/2020/5/6/21249316/the-bundesliga-is-cleared-to-resume-play

Its a fan blog. I wouldn't go there to find high quality journalism. Indeed, any time when the author is a screen name, I wouldn't get hopes up too high.
TXAggie2011
AG
Anyhow, excited to see some live soccer
fig96
AG
Ok, so I need to pick a team.

Borussia Dortmund is tempting with Reyna and Haaland among others, but I'm open to suggestions.
Legal Custodian
AG
Bayern! Best club on the planet, incredibly well run, sound financial decisions, philanthropic, Lewandowski, awesome fans and fan clubs around the world, located in the Bavarian part of Germany so Oktoberfest is ridiculous, also surrounded by fans that look like this:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/kMPhU_Iu5xYSrMD9adTHa4EiDvyri67v5jTOBFKk5AbBr14wPb_-vhN3qIKNGXwJiN4bJUrtyG8QQdccZQXv7wAzCUn1bnJ9BBABEf8V5ZzkifmWdU-d28Uy3OGOuvknpYk

akm91
AG
Trying the bait and switch approach eh?

"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
Aston94
AG
Why limit yourself to one team? It will be the only sport going on for at least two weeks. I plan on picking teams game by game.

oh no
AG
Whichever team has an American playing in each match.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.