German league

13,879 Views | 112 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by jeffk
PatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
agsalaska said:

deadbq03 said:

agsalaska said:

chjoak said:

Adjusting my thought process a bit. Like the heritage angle and am finding out over the last few weeks that I have more German heritage than I thought. Looks like my family comes from Hamburg, Frankfurt, Koln & Dortmund areas.
Man trust me. Just go for the league You do not have to manufacture some loyalty.

It is much better when you are just watching the league.
I'll counter. I think picking one team to follow makes it more fun. You get more familiar with the players, tactics, etc.

For me, I hold my fan-ship of Leipzig loosely because it was contrived. There's other teams I enjoy watching, and if another team plays Leipzig especially well, I can find myself appreciating their play and being happy for them.

Learning how to do that has actually helped me become a much healthier Aggie fan.
I can understand that. I just cannot manufacture a loyalty, personally. Im an Aggie, so besides them, I grew up in Dallas and lived in Houston for 11 years. I am an Astros and Rangers fan. I was a season ticket holder and our company a major sponsor for UNLV basketball. I'm a UNLV fan.

There is logic behind all of that. I suppose I could figure out exactly where in Germany my ancestors came from when they had issues with the Kaiser, but that was 150 years ago.

I started watching soccer in 05 or 06 and tried with Tottenham Hotspur. I can't remember why. But as I was learning all there is to learn about English soccer I found out who I am supposed to hate, and who I am supposed to despise. I gave that up real quick and became more of a historian. I bet I have read every single Wiki page of all 92 Football League teams and the recaps of every season.

In the meantime I enjoyed the Chelsea-ManU rivalry and the ridiculous soccer that was played without worrying about how it affected 'my team.' It is so much more enjoyable for me that way. Then it was Pourtsmouth in the FA Cup. Then the rise of Man City. Then Leicester City. I watched probably 30 Leicester City games that season. Now this year it is Liverpool.

If I had some contrived loyalty to a team, any team, I would not be able to enjoy it the same way.

Last, and sorry for the long post, I am doing a lot of the same stuff now with the Bundesliga. I am sitting here watching this Haaland kid with Dortmund completely undress Union Berlin. He is going to be a fantastic striker. But how could I like him or go for him if I had a manufactured loyalty to RB or anyone else? I'd rather enjoy it and not worry about it.
Similar to this, I think its great to choose a team. Its hard to not find yourself liking one team more than the others. I would recommend not taking it to the same level you might take NCAA sports, or NFL. Don't be the guy that trash talks a "rival", when you aren't from the country.
Marcus Aurelius
AG
Dortmund 5 Union Berlin 0. Haaland 2 more goals.
agsalaska
AG
I watched it. The kid is a man among boys already. I cant even think of anyone he reminds me of.

The RB game was crap. Ref got in the way.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
deadbq03
AG
agsalaska said:

I watched it. The kid is a man among boys already. I cant even think of anyone he reminds me of.

The RB game was crap. Ref got in the way.
That Nkunku shot though.

But seriously even as an RB follower I thought that was one of the worst red cards I've ever seen. Lord knows what was said, but even if it justified verbal abuse it was still a crappy card. Give the yellow for dissent and move on.
B$Weigem
AG
I am curious to know what company and I'm guessing you live in Vegas if your company sponsors UNLV.
agsalaska
AG
I used to live in Vegas. 09-12. I worked for the parent company that owned SuperPawn. We were bought out in 2015.

We at the time were on a mission to legitimize the industry and a couple of cities were given a bunch of money for sponsorships, including Vegas. To make a very long story short we were very successful in those cities but were bought out before we could expand it. Vegas was the only city I had that did it. We had our brand everywhere and it was a lot of fun. The company that bought us tore all of that down.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
deadbq03
AG
Marcus my man... that Emre Can goal was glorious. Y'all made some fantastic transfers this window.

Edit: But condolences on the loss. As a neutral, that was one of the best games I've seen all year, but it was a brutal ending for Dortmund.
Marcus Aurelius
AG
Inconsistent. Hard to fathom. The heat on Favre is growing.
Legal Custodian
AG
I went to the Bayern watch party at Upper90 in Fort Worth for the match on Sunday. Good little group to watch with, about 15ppl or so. I know I'll probably get roasted, but yes, I follow Bayern.

Great match and absolutely I'll take the draw.
agsalaska
AG
I may be wrong, but I am going to guess that you are also a fan of one of the following teams.

LA Lakers
Duke Blue Devils
New England Patriots
New York Yankees
Boston Red Sox

Which one did I get right?
Legal Custodian
AG
Unfortunately more like

A&M
All the Dallas Teams

So I guess the Cowboys would fit your list (if they actually won)
agsalaska
AG
Sorry about that. Usually fans of BM have a pretty prestigious list. No tthat there is anything wrong with being fans of winning teams.

And I also have the curse of the Dallas teams.

For the record, I was going for Bayern over the franchise.
deadbq03
AG
Legal Custodian said:

I went to the Bayern watch party at Upper90 in Fort Worth for the match on Sunday. Good little group to watch with, about 15ppl or so. I know I'll probably get roasted, but yes, I follow Bayern.

Great match and absolutely I'll take the draw.
It's hard not to like watching Bayern especially if you follow Die Mannschaft, so I can't blame you. I treat them like my viewership of Bama... I enjoy watching them when they play other teams. I'll pretend that I want the other team to win for parity's sake, but deep down I accept the natural order of things and end up enjoying watching supreme execution.

Fascinating game this weekend. I was resigned to a loss after how crappy Leipzig played in the first 20 mins, but they held till halftime and like we consistently do under Nagelsman, we had a better second half. That Werner miss haunts me but considering how bad we were at the beginning of the game, a draw is more than fair.
Furlock Bones
AG
Klinsmann quits on Berlin.

Legal Custodian
AG
I cannot believe Werner missed that opportunity. He hits that 99/100 times. Huge sigh of relief after that one.

Big fan of Nkunku
Marcus Aurelius
AG
https://www.teamtalk.cen-deadline-to-sign-leipzig-hitman-timo-werner-in-bargain-deal

Bad news for RB Leipzig if true.............
chjoak
AG
The way they have built their roster on a budget the last few years they will likely be just fine.
deadbq03
AG
Werner leaving after this season has been a virtual certainty since last summer when they had to add a release clause to get him to finally get him to sign a new contract. That's why I was so upset to see us miss on Haaland. Evidently we weren't willing to promise playing time this season and that was the deal breaker.

With the addition of Olmo and Schick's loan having a transfer fee option, we've already gotten some contingencies in place.
Marcus Aurelius
AG
agsalaska
AG
Finally watched the Dortmund game I recorded Friday. Made it all weekend without seeing the score.

They looked scary good. They play PSG tomorrow which should be electric.
agsalaska
AG
My prediction. The Champions League will be won by either Dortmund or Bayern. Two best teams.
deadbq03
AG
agsalaska said:

My prediction. The Champions League will be won by either Dortmund or Bayern. Two best teams.
I would've disagreed vehemently about Dortmund before the winter break but Haaland is a game changer.
Marcus Aurelius
AG
Agree. Heja BVB. If only we could hang on to Sancho.
Marcus Aurelius
AG
I'm a Tottenham fan too. But I find myself pulling for Leipzig today. Good luck.
deadbq03
AG
Very pleased with our performance till we scored. Our passing was world class in the first half. Finishing not so much. Should've probably scored 2 by halftime.

Disappointed that we seemed to take our foot off the gas after the penalty and we could've easily conceded goals if they had Son and/or Kane there.

All in all though, happy to see us play well and get a W on the road. They'll have adapted to being without Son by next match so I'm glad to have an edge.
agsalaska
AG
I dont think they can adapt without Son.

If I was Spurs I'd highly consider going all in on the FA Cup and try to stay in 5th with City being suspended next season.
deadbq03
AG
I agree, but surely they'll be better with 4 weeks of practice and games without him rather than 2 days.

Or maybe they'll be broken by weeks of bad form. Truly hope not. I liked watching their CL run last year and want to see them in it again next year.
deadbq03
AG
Only one goal from Haaland? Slacker.

Leipzig embarrassed Schalke today. New tactic/lineup seems to be gelling now. The 3 man back I hated in the fall is looking really good and that's due in part to the loan of Angelino and his good play as a wing back. He is quickly becoming a favorite of mine... hope we execute the option to sign him permanently after the loan.

Sadly, Tyler Adams was still out today with a calf injury. Hope he gets well soon.
Marcus Aurelius
AG
Getting tight at the top of the Bundesliga. Looks like a 3 team race.
deadbq03
AG
Man I wouldn't count out Gladbach. They've played 1 less games, so points-wise they're in the mix and I'm really impressed with Marco Rose's coaching.
AgfromHOU
AG
Not a devout follower, but I really like Dortmund
Rudyjax
AG
Rudyjax
AG
AgfromHOU said:

Not a devout follower, but I really like Dortmund

Dortmund is fun to watch.
Marcus Aurelius
AG
Bundesliga looking good in leg one of the KO round. Lewandowski, Haaland and Werner.
Marcus Aurelius
AG
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2537493-bayern-munichs-robert-lewandowski-out-for-4-weeks-after-suffering-knee-injury

Lewandowski out 4 weeks with knee injury. Primo opportunity for Leipzig and Dortmund to gain ground.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.