Houston Dynamo 2020 Season Thread

7,879 Views | 90 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Dre_00
Onceaggie2.0
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Dre_00 said:

We played a game. We didn't score. We didn't lose. No one was there.

So the same as games pre covid
Dre_00
3 wins in a row scoring 10 goals in the process
fig96
AG
I'm starting to think Tab Ramos just might be a pretty good coach.
jeffk
AG
Glad to see it. Love Tab and really hoped he could have success here.
gig them
AG
jeffk
AG
Maybe we can all pitch in and get a minority stake in the club.
fig96
AG
Get Brenner out and spend some money on players and you suddenly fix the "branding" problem.

Dynamo are bottom of the league in payroll year after year, don't win games, and then can't figure out why attendance keeps dropping.
lunchbox
I'm fine with them changing everything but I would like to keep the orange and black.
jeffk
AG
Yeah, I think the physical aspects of the team are great. Name, colors, stadium, the giant Fox - all great.
oh no
AG
conceded an equalizer at 90+6 last night to colorado. brutal to give up those 2 pts 30 seconds from being in hand.

as far as a refresh, not sure what is needed. I'm pleased they hired Tab. I like some of the players though there are some holes where they can improve. I don't hate the forever orange theme or the kit, colors, crest, stadium, etc. However, I'm still frustrated with the Houston market. Logic says it should be ripe for soccer. Yet we can't touch Atlanta, Portland, or hell- even Cincinnati as far as butts in seats or a following or a culture around it.. Do they need a big MX intl signing like Miami did with Pizzaro or LA did with Chicarito? Do they need to promote more home-grown talent to the first team? Get some better spanglish chants to bring houstonians together? ..or just win?
jeffk
AG
I think they need to continue to play well and get in the running for a playoff spot. Most fans don't trust the ownership to invest enough to keep the team competitive.

I also think the fact that it's a billion degrees in the stadium at a lot of our early season games works against us.
KCup17
AG
If we rebrand and change our name to Houston FC or Houston United I will be so pissed.
oh no
AG
i went to the playoff game there in 2017 and bbva seemed like it was probably 30% full

yes, so many weekend day games in the oven does not help. It's really a nice venue at night or in early spring or late fall.
fig96
AG
If the goal is butts in seats sign the next Chicharito/Vela and you'd pack that stadium.

In the early BBVA seasons it was always full despite the weather, the team was fun to watch and there was tons of energy in the stadium. After Ching, Davis, and a few others left we never replaced them with any sort of equivalent talent. There were attempts at a few bargain DPs but there's never been any real investment made in players.

Culture is a different question, but I've heard from a former player that the current ownership has done a few things that aren't very welcoming to them. There seems to have been less focus on the fans since Oliver Luck left, but I don't know enough to be able to pinpoint any exact issues or things that have changed.
Mustang1
AG

oh no
AG
Elis has been a joy to watch the last several years. Best of luck to him.
oh no
fig96
AG
I turned it off before the half.
aggiesoccer#1fan
AG
jeffk
AG
They should spend some money on buying players. That'd be a rebranding I could support.
KCup17
AG
Just sold Mauro to Club Tijuana.
Dre_00
I had no clue we bought a winger, Mateo Bajamich, from a 2nd division Argentine side back in October for $1.2 million. There was no way that the owners would make that kind of outlay without selling an asset. Apparently they had planned to sell Mauro in the summer but the pandemic put an end to that and they had to wait till now.

The fact that, before the season started and before the pandemic became a thing, the club knew it was going to sell arguably their best player tells you all you need to know about this club, its owners, and how its run.

Nothing wrong with being a successful selling club. Sadly, it appears they're only concerned with being the selling club part and not so much the successful part.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.