Houston Dynamo 2020 Season Thread

7,917 Views | 90 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Dre_00
KCup17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Do you think that Austin FC will be more like Atlanta United or Cincy FC in their first few years?
jeffk
AG
Waaaaay higher percentage of hipsters than either of those fanbases.
fig96
AG
Hard to say at this point, but I lean towards early success. Great hires so far and just announced a $45 million training center.
KCup17
AG
That is very true. Hipster cities tend to have soccer success. At least the PNW does.

I think the are setting themselves up for success with the amount of investment. Only time will tell if it will be worth the investment.

Pahdz
Isn't their stadium out in the burbs by COTA?
Out in Left Field
AG
Pahdz said:

Isn't their stadium out in the burbs by COTA?

No it's not by the racetrack, it's in north Austin somewhere.
Pahdz
Okay maybe that was the USL park out by the track I was thinking of
fig96
AG
Pahdz said:

Okay maybe that was the USL park out by the track I was thinking of
Correct, that's where Austin Bold FC plays. Nice venue, total PITA to get in and out of.

The stadium will be near the Domain, north Austin around Mopac and Braker. The thing is, Austin is tiny compared to Houston/Dallas so even being a little bit north only puts it maybe 10 miles from downtown.
Pahdz
That's funny because 10 miles is actually far but because Houston and DFW are poster children of sprawl is only seems close to those of us who are used to 30 miles from downtown being not far
fig96
AG
Haha, yup. Grew up and spent most of my life in Houston, and it's crazy how tiny Austin feels.
Pahdz
I now live in the Twin Cities and even though it's a metro of 4 mil plus, still feels small.

Our stadium is smack in the middle of both downtowns, it's great
Bluesock06
AG
I remember Ramos being great on the national team in the 90's, but what has he been doing since then? Has he been coaching some place else?
Gig'em Class of '06
PatAg
AG
The US U-20s
3 straight world cup quarterfinal runs
Texaggie7nine
https://www.houstondynamo.com/post/2020/01/13/houston-dynamo-sign-goalkeeper-marko-mari-full-transfer-tsg-1899-hoffenheim

Quote:

The Houston Dynamo acquired goalkeeper Marko Mari on a permanent transfer from TSG 1899 Hoffenheim in the German Bundesliga utilizing Targeted Allocation Money, the club announced today. The transfer is pending receipt of his P-1 Visa and International Transfer Certificate.

The 24-year-old appeared in 67 matches, recording 13 clean sheets over three seasons on loan with Lillestrm SK in the Eliteserien, Norway's top flight, including seven clean sheets in 30 league appearances in 2019. In 2018, his second year with the club, he posted four clean sheets in 25 league appearances and helped Lillestrm reach the semifinals of the Cupen, or Norwegian Football Cup. Mari claimed the 2017 Norwegian Football Cup with Lillestrm SK and earned a spot in the Europa League qualification round playing against LASK from the Austrian Bundesliga in 2018.
7nine
Bubba smollett
No better than Willis and I am not why Deric was dropped he was the best gk they had on the roster. Also, shocked he wasn't Honduran.
oh no
AG
not sure what to think of this new keeper. maybe he's good, but do you want to use intl designated $$ on a keeper?
fig96
AG
Bit of a surprising choice but he's got some really solid experience, and I believe he's just taking up an international slot (no DP dollars).
Dre_00
It's probably an antiquated, misguided take but I've always thought GK was the one position a team should avoid using an international spot on because there's usually some pretty good American GKs out there. The majority of this guy's experience is in Norway which is...meh. I do like that he's young for a GK.

That said, everyone in MLS and their dog is going to South America and getting some really high quality talent. We're going to Norway. This club man.
carl spacklers hat
Yep, seems as if there is some boundary that stops at Honduras.

Joking aside, if the roster is updated, there are 9 South Americans on the team with the majority from Colombia and Venezuela. I'd like to see more Argentines and Brazilians and if the ownership has a clue on how to fill the stands, add some Mexicans.
MarylandAG
LA Galaxy signed Chicharito. He alone will probably put people in the stands for the season opener.
oh no
AG
yep... not as exciting as Ibra or Beckham for me, but for a lot of Houston, that late Feb Saturday afternoon opener, will be huge..
jeffk
AG
I'm excited that I got a new reason to not like the Galaxy. Not that I needed one, but hey...
fig96
AG
About to kick vs Galaxy on Univision and Twitter, let's see what the new look Dynamo look like.
Dre_00
Caught first 10 minutes before passing out...which means I got to see LA's goal and that's about it.

What I found interesting is how much Houston dominated possession. Not surprised per se as that's Ramos' MO but my goodness...when was the last time we had 60% possession against one of the league's best teams (in theory anyway)?
Dre_00
We're back!

3-3 draw with LAFC in the MLSIsBackButProbablyShouldntBeTournament. We blew a 3-1 lead presumably to give Houston fans a memory of what life use to be during normal times.
Bryan98
AG
I looked for this thread last night and couldn't find it. Good bump!
herb96
AG
vs. Portland tonight at 7pm, espn.
Out in Left Field
AG
Bumping just to say the Dynamo suck
Furlock Bones
AG
Out in Left Field said:

Bumping just to say the Dynamo suck

That was an ugly sheety game.
Onceaggie2.0
Doesn't help that our best attacking player is huge dumbass and got a red card. Parking the bus after the first goal they got what they deserved
Dre_00
The 2020 season summary in the Dynamo history books is going to be pretty short.

"We played like 5 games and didn't win a single one. It sucked."
fig96
AG
So understandably not much activity the past week or two after that early exit, but a few interesting signings in the last day or so.

Quote:

The Houston Dynamo acquired midfielder Wilfried Zahibo and an international roster spot for the remainder of the 2020 season from the New England Revolution in exchange for midfielder Tommy McNamara and $150,000 of General Allocation Money (GAM) in 2020 and $25,000 of GAM in 2021, the clubs announced today.

The French midfielder played in 58 games for the Revolution and finished with five goals and five assists. Zahibo tallied an assist in New England's 2-0 victory over New York City FC on Sept. 29 to clinch a spot in the Audi 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs. The 26-year-old was also named to the 2018 MLS-All Star Game roster to face Juventus and shared the field with new Dynamo teammates Alberth Elis and Darwin Quintero. The midfielder will occupy the international spot acquired from the trade with New England.

Quote:

The Houston Dynamo have acquired forward Ariel Lassiter on loan through the 2020 season with an option to exercise a permanent transfer from LD Alajuelense of the Liga FPD in Costa Rica, the club announced today. Lassiter holds United States and Costa Rican citizenship and will not occupy an international roster spot. He will be added to the Dynamo roster pending receipt of his International Transfer Certificate.

The 25-year-old joins the Dynamo after two years in Costa Rica finishing with 24 goals and 16 assists in 64 games for LD Alajuelense. The forward reached the league final in three of the last four Apertura and Clausura seasons with Alajuelense, and led his team with 9 goals in his final semester with Los Leones.
Onceaggie2.0
Rc specials
Dre_00
We played a game. We didn't score. We didn't lose. No one was there.
jeffk
AG
Did it really happen then?
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.