Bradley is the worst..!!!

6,476 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by DeangeloVickers
deadbq03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
PatAg said:

ironically, its the MLS' dedication to the youth scene that is greatly contributing to the rise of our youth system. Ideal world, our full MNT lineup plays in Europe, but they are going to start in MLS....even if its just the academies
In my ideal world, MLS is a better place for Americans to stay because the league gets on par with Europe (even if it's merely only say Ligue 1 level) and the USSF style of play is coherent from top to bottom so staying in the system is seen as a better option.

I'll keep dreaming.
Aston94
AG
Furlock Bones said:

Aston94 said:

Look, I have long been a critic of the USSF, but:

1. I like the new president;
2. I like the Ernie Stewart hire;
3. I like the Gregg Berhalter hire;
4. I think Tab Ramos has done a good job developing young talent; and
5. The women just won consecutive WCs.

So there is a lot going right with the USSF right now too. They are putting additional layers between themselves and the actual teams on the field, which is only a good thing.

I am not going to bash the USSF because we lost to Mex in the Gold Cup final. I think we are on the right path, and look to be the second best CONCACAF team by a wide margin right now, with more talent on the way and more depth than I have ever seen us have.
wait what?

Good point man, you really made me think. Solid discussion.
OregonAggie
AG
Aston94 said:

Furlock Bones said:

Aston94 said:

So there is a lot going right with the USSF right now too. They are putting additional layers between themselves and the actual teams on the field, which is only a good thing.

I am not going to bash the USSF because we lost to Mex in the Gold Cup final. I think we are on the right path, and look to be the second best CONCACAF team by a wide margin right now, with more talent on the way and more depth than I have ever seen us have.
wait what?

Good point man, you really made me think. Solid discussion.

Hahaha. Surprised there was no reply and I'd talk smack if someone didn't even respond.

I'm curious about those bolder points. What about Cordeiro makes you like him? I don't know much about what he wants to do or what changes he's made, aside from the Berhalter hire. I know I was positioned as a "more if the same" kind of candidate.

Also, what do you like about the Berhalter hire? That seems like nepotism to the highest degree. I'm not saying he shouldn't have been considered but dammit we should've hired the coach that just beat us (Martino). Apparently he wasn't even considered.

I will say that I did enjoy watching the US team, for the most part, in the Gold Cup. I definitely thought we looked great on Sunday against Mexico. I left the Gold Cup looking forward to the future but also wondering if GB is the coach to lead this group of players. Tata out coached him tactically and he also made some very questionable choices with subs. I'm definitely not sold on him.
Aston94
AG
To the two bullet points highlighted:

-Cordeiro- the things I have liked about him so far (he has had the position for just over a year) are:

1. He has been at the forefront of putting a general manager in place for the men's and women's teams. I like that we have another soccer mind between team decisions and the business team.

2. He headed up the group that got us the 2026 World Cup. As we learned with Qatar, there is no sure thing in WC votes, so getting the WC here is a huge accomplishment.

3. I like how he has approached the pay issues with the USWNT. He has been positive and put forth a face of unity during the process. He has not gotten adversarial or tried to make himself the star in the process.

Berhalter. I assume by nepotism you are referring to his brother working at USSF. I think he had the right resume for the job, former USMNT player that has had coaching success and is experienced. I like his calm style and easy approach, it seems to play well with the players.

Martino is a good coach, and I think he is a good fit for Mexico. I don't think we got out coached the other night as much as we got out talented. I am also not sure Martino's style is suited for our players, the high press might work, but the possession he likes might be a struggle. I think he would prefer to coach Mexico than the US squad, so I don't know that he would have taken the position if offered. Maybe he would have, but I doubt it.

I like Berhalter's tactics so far. It is early in his tenure, but so far I have been pleasantly surprised by his demeanor and his relatability to the players.

Just some thoughts on those two points.
jeffk
AG
Endorse
Furlock Bones
AG
Cordeiro is from the same crooked mold of Sunil Gulati. New face. Same suit.

I've seen almost nothing out of Greg Berhalter that warrants praise. His team player choices. His in game substitutions. His tactics. One decent half until Mexico decided to play. Then, multiple terrible substitutions.
jeffk
AG
Which players would you have brought off the bench to make a positive difference the other night?
mrmill3218
AG
Furlock Bones said:

Cordeiro is from the same crooked mold of Sunil Gulati. New face. Same suit.

I've seen almost nothing out of Greg Berhalter that warrants praise. His team player choices. His in game substitutions. His tactics. One decent half until Mexico decided to play. Then, multiple terrible substitutions.

Preach! Love it
OregonAggie
AG
jeffk said:

Which players would you have brought off the bench to make a positive difference the other night?

Boyd for Morris. The Lovitz sub was moronic. Needing a goal with 10 minutes left and you bring in a like for like sub of your left back? I don't mind Ream coming off but he has to add an attacking player there and change shape a little.
AustinScubaAg
AG
jeffk said:

Josh Sargent

of the players on the bench the only one that might have made an impact was Boyd instead of a like for like swap at left back.

akm91
AG
Quote:

He has been at the forefront of putting a general manager in place for the men's and women's teams. I like that we have another soccer mind between team decisions and the business team.
The GM position was hotly discussed during the run up to the election so I'm not giving Cordeiro that much credit for it for actually. Here's a quote from article about the election:

Quote:

Many candidates actually share similar outlooks on these issues. Most pledged to open up greater opportunities for children from marginalized communities, to hire general managers to oversee the men's and women's national teams and to run the fed with a more consensus-oriented approach.
US Soccer Election Issues

Quote:

Martino is a good coach, and I think he is a good fit for Mexico. I don't think we got out coached the other night as much as we got out talented. I am also not sure Martino's style is suited for our players, the high press might work, but the possession he likes might be a struggle. I think he would prefer to coach Mexico than the US squad, so I don't know that he would have taken the position if offered. Maybe he would have, but I doubt it.
I think Berhalter got out coached. The talent disparity didn't help but I feel he did get out coached. When Martino adjusted his tactics and started over running the midfield, Berhalter didn't make the right adjustments to combat it. It didn't seem Roldan helped at all in the midfield when he came on for Morris. It's his first international competition and hopefully he learns from it.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
akm91
AG
jeffk said:

Before the goal, he could've changed the shape to a 4-4-1-1 with Pulisic behind Gyaze and slot in Roldan as a midfielder to help hold position. Maybe that's what Roldan was suppose to do but he sure ventured too far up field to provide that much support for Bradley and McKennie.

Hindsight is 20/20 and I hope Berhalter figures this out going forward.
Aston94
AG
akm91 said:

Quote:

He has been at the forefront of putting a general manager in place for the men's and women's teams. I like that we have another soccer mind between team decisions and the business team.
The GM position was hotly discussed during the run up to the election so I'm not giving Cordeiro that much credit for it for actually. Here's a quote from article about the election:

Quote:

Many candidates actually share similar outlooks on these issues. Most pledged to open up greater opportunities for children from marginalized communities, to hire general managers to oversee the men's and women's national teams and to run the fed with a more consensus-oriented approach.
US Soccer Election Issues

Quote:

I think Berhalter got out coached. The talent disparity didn't help but I feel he did get out coached. When Martino adjusted his tactics and started over running the midfield, Berhalter didn't make the right adjustments to combat it. It didn't seem Roldan helped at all in the midfield when he came on for Morris. It's his first international competition and hopefully he learns from it.
On Cordeiro, there is "pledging" to do something in an election and then there is actually doing it. He has actually implemented the GM system, so I give him props for actually doing it. In my opinion, the USSF president should be not heard from much at all when it comes to coaching/player decisions, and he has put a more layered system in place, so he should get credit for it, even if others say they would have done it too.

On Berhalter, how different would this discussion be if Altidore had finished his glorious chance or if either of Morris's headers hadn't been saved off the line. Sorry, but when you look at those two rosters and consider the disparity in talent I am not sure how you can determine he was out-coached. We created as many good scoring chances as Mexico. I wish that Sargent had been at the Gold Cup over Zardes, but I am not going to be too critical of a player decision here or there. You look at the scoring opportunities we had after the Mexico goal and I am not sure how you can criticize the substitutions either. Roldan is more defensive minded than Boyd, and we needed help in the back more than we needed another scorer at that time.

But those are my opinions on it, everyone is entitled to their own. When your opinion (not yours but another poster's) is simply "Cordeiro is from same corrupt line as Gulati" then the isn't even worth discussion. So thanks for actually discussing the issues rather than making simple one-liner statements.
Furlock Bones
AG
Aston94 said:

akm91 said:

Quote:

needed another scorer at that time.

But those are my opinions on it, everyone is entitled to their own. When your opinion (not yours but another poster's) is simply "Cordeiro is from same corrupt line as Gulati" then the isn't even worth discussion. So thanks for actually discussing the issues rather than making simple one-liner statements.
you can call me out that's fine. but, USSF was supposedly going to overhaul their organization. instead they voted for the number 2 man in charge. if you can't recognize the corrupt, cronyism rampant in USSF, then i don't know what to tell you.
akm91
AG
I think your use of "forefront" regarding Cordeiro and the GM position is what threw me off. I give him credit for going through with his pledge but almost every candidate was talking about creating that position in the run up to the discussion.

We have always and will continue to be out talented by Mexico for the foreseeable future. There's no shame in being out coached by someone with Tata's background, even Berhalter admitted he was in uncharted territory as a coach in a tournament environment. So I don't think his changes did anything to stem the tide in the 2nd half. Berhalter made his first 2 subs before the goal and neither solved the pressure Mexico was putting on our midfield.
gig them
AG
Gregg isn't a bad choice... but the time it took to reel him in (18 freakin' months!) is absolutely indefensible.

If he was our guy, and we were a competent organization behind the scenes, the hire would not have taken 18 months. We should be a full year further along in our understanding of his system.
Aston94
AG
gig them said:

Gregg isn't a bad choice... but the time it took to reel him in (18 freakin' months!) is absolutely indefensible.

If he was our guy, and we were a competent organization behind the scenes, the hire would not have taken 18 months. We should be a full year further along in our understanding of his system.
I completely agree with that. The delay in his hiring was indefensible. We had a lost year for sure. Like I said initially, I have had a lot of issues with USSF over the years. I think Cordeiro should have made the Stewart hire much quicker and gotten a coach in place much faster, as Berhalter was hired 9 months after Cordeiro took over.

Aston94
AG
Furlock Bones said:

Aston94 said:

akm91 said:

Quote:

needed another scorer at that time.

you can call me out that's fine. but, USSF was supposedly going to overhaul their organization. instead they voted for the number 2 man in charge. if you can't recognize the corrupt, cronyism rampant in USSF, then i don't know what to tell you.
I didn't call you out for your opinion, I called you out for your one-line responses.

I think cronyism is rampant in USSF just like any other organization of its kind that is led by a volunteer board of governors. Corruption is easy to claim, and in the FIFA-CONCACAF world I am sure there is corruption within USSF as well, hell there almost had to be in order to be a player in FIFA-CONCACAF.

But that doesn't mean Cordeiro wasn't right for the job. He has a strong background, and so far I have been happy with his decisions. Time will tell.
jeffk
AG
AustinScubaAg said:

jeffk said:

Josh Sargent

of the players on the bench the only one that might have made an impact was Boyd instead of a like for like swap at left back.

I was waiting for the Sargent suggestion.

Seriously though, Boyd is the only one that makes sense. I think roster selection is my biggest gripe with CB and I'm hopeful that will improve as he gets to know our player pool better. Also, this summer was a bit crazy with all the different tournaments across our age levels.
AustinScubaAg
AG
jeffk said:

AustinScubaAg said:

jeffk said:

Josh Sargent

Seriously though, Boyd is the only one that makes sense. I think roster selection is my biggest gripe with CB and I'm hopeful that will improve as he gets to know our player pool better. Also, this summer was a bit crazy with all the different tournaments across our age levels.
Well someone had to say it especially the way Zardes played.
gig them
AG
jeffk said:

AustinScubaAg said:

jeffk said:

Josh Sargent

Which made it all the more maddening when Sargent went to none of them.
OregonAggie
AG
gig them said:

jeffk said:

AustinScubaAg said:

jeffk said:

Josh Sargent

I know this is the main issue folks have with the Sargent Saga this summer but he really might be better off because of it. He'll have more time at Werder this summer and his minutes at the club level are more important than time with the US on either team.
gig them
AG
OregonAggie said:

gig them said:

jeffk said:

AustinScubaAg said:

jeffk said:

Josh Sargent

I know this is the main issue folks have with the Sargent Saga this summer but he really might be better off because of it. He'll have more time at Werder this summer and his minutes at the club level are more important than time with the US on either team.

I'm not sure I agree with that angle. If club life over the summer is better for your development than NT time... why call in anyone?
Aston94
AG
gig them said:

OregonAggie said:

gig them said:

jeffk said:

AustinScubaAg said:

jeffk said:

Josh Sargent

I'm not sure I agree with that angle. If club life over the summer is better for your development than NT time... why call in anyone?
You probably would acknowledge that for a young player with a club you have only been with a short time it is more important to win the respect of your club coach so you get more pt than it is to gain NT experience, right?

I wish Sargent had been at the U20 WC or with the NT at the Gold Cup, but maybe the plan all along was to get him some NT exposure and then let him go back to the club.
akm91
AG
It's a different situation for Sargent compared to most others. He signed with Bremen in February, due to his age so it's pretty critical for him to get a full pre-season with the team to maximize his change to get consistent playing time this upcoming season.
akm91
AG
Sargent played in both U-17 and U-20 WC's in 2017 and perhaps the thinking was that Sargent is beyond the U-20 WC and wanted to have other youngsters get that exposure/experience.
akm91
AG
Here's Bremen's coache's thoughts on Josh not being in the GC roster (borrowed from another thread)

Quote:

For Kohfeldt, however, the Missouri native's omission could be a blessing in disguise.
"I'd have welcomed it if he'd have played at the finals because that kind of thing is always a good experience, but we also see the positives of him not being involved," the Bremen boss explained. "Josh is really fresh at our training camp and knuckling down.
"Josh will be called up again, anyway. It hasn't done his international career any harm."

WB Coach on Sargent and preseason
OregonAggie
AG
gig them said:

OregonAggie said:

gig them said:

jeffk said:

AustinScubaAg said:

jeffk said:

Josh Sargent

Not every player playing on our national team is in the same position as he's in. I'll also say that looking at this particular summer, his time in Germany is more important.

He's 19 trying to break into a really good Bundesliga squad, he only played in 10 games last year so he's low on the pecking order, and he has an opportunity to solidify his spot by being there earlier than some of the other players that have played in some of these tournaments.

If he fails to win minutes this next year, he may have to leave Bremen to do it or he may just get buried on the bench...neither of those scenarios are good for our national team or his personal career.

Also, players are better on the international level if they're playing consistently at the club level. If he gets more minutes for Bremen in 2019/2020 then he will be better for us in the long run.
gig them
AG
ok, so I'm clearly in the minority here

I understand all of the points against, and I agree that it won't hurt his NT chances... but I'll feel much better if we make the Olympics next year. If that happens, we'll get to see him in big time NT matches and most of my original points collapse. But if we don't make the olympics... this summer was one of the only (real) chances to see live int'l ammunition before the 2022 qualifiers. Perhaps it's just personal preference, but I'd like to know how he holds up in that environment before the bullets are flying.

And if it goes south in a big match (like it did with McKennie), I want it to happen before the Hex.
akm91
AG
Look, there are plenty of opportunities for Josh in the fall. There are two friendlies, which I think are international dates, as well as the CONCACAF Nations League.

It will also depend on Josh's club situation as well. Berhalter will want to balance Josh's club career and integration into the National Team. Keep in mind Josh is only 19 and isn't an established high profile club player like Pulisic, McKennie and Adams who are getting regular minutes if not starts for their respective clubs. It won't do anything for Josh to be playing when he is rusty and not match fit due to lack of club minutes.
Aston94
AG
akm91 said:

Look, there are plenty of opportunities for Josh in the fall. There are two friendlies, which I think are international dates, as well as the CONCACAF Nations League.

It will also depend on Josh's club situation as well. Berhalter will want to balance Josh's club career and integration into the National Team. Keep in mind Josh is only 19 and isn't an established high profile club player like Pulisic, McKennie and Adams who are getting regular minutes if not starts for their respective clubs. It won't do anything for Josh to be playing when he is rusty and not match fit due to lack of club minutes.
We will have Olympic Qualifying this fall as well for the U-23 team. He should be a big part of that.
Furlock Bones
AG
Aston94 said:

I'm really not bumping this to be a jerk. But, it warrants revisiting.

Plus we need to add this latest in the mix.

There's simply no way anyone can be happy with the way US Soccer is still being run.

The cronyism and nepotism continues unabated.

carl spacklers hat
Yeah, that's completely FUBAR. "Hey, I know you're his boss but the coach is my brother and I'm your boss, so..."

Not to mention that Berhalter is just a sh**y coach. Completely in over his head. If they ever did a movie on Gregg, they should cast John Malkovich to play him. The similarities are kind of uncanny. Especially the laissez faire demeanor.
DeangeloVickers
AG
I stand by all of my comments

The system is broken, but too many people are making too much money for it to change for the better

Need sweeping changes...Berhalter is the least of the worries
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.