Aston Villa v. Leeds Match Today

1,037 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by jeffk
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Absolute crazy 5 minutes.

Aston Villa had a man go down with an apparent knee injury and wanted the ball played out. Leeds proceeded to play the ball to the sideline and as everyone was coming to a stop thinking there was gonna be a stoppage, the player plays in one of the wingers who takes it and scores. Very unsportsmanlike. Brawl follows the goal. One of the Leeds players acts like he took an elbow to the face (total dive, 2nd video) which results in a red card for Villa as well. Leeds coach is yelling at his players to let Villa score once the match restarts which happens although one of the Leeds players tries to play defense.

Aston Villa v. Leeds Controversy

Acting for the red card

Match did finish 1-1.
PatAg
AG
Play to the whistle

If Leeds doesn't want to play the ball out, keep playing. Drill someone later in the match, or don't play it out next time they have someone go down.
You aren't required to play the ball out just because someone decides to lay on the grass after trying to foul the other team and failing.

That being said, every team I played on would have played the ball out in that situation, unless there was something like 5-10 minutes left and the game was important.

I've also seen people trying to put a lot of blame on the ref, but I thought they are only supposed to stop the play for head related stuff, or any obviously serious injuries.
PatAg
AG
and that guy that acted for the red card, I want to say the league office can rescind the given red and he wont have to sit out the next game. The Leeds player should be forced to though.

I would definitely expect that guy receive some physical tackles next time they meet.
OregonAggie
AG
Just like PatAg said. Play to the whistle because you don't HAVE to kick the ball out of bounds. Shame on that Villa player for laying on the ground like he got shot.

There's way too many players that embellish tackles and fake fouls and it drives me nuts. The Villa player just laid on the ground trying to get a foul so to hell with that.

I also don't think Leeds should've just let them score to even it up. Classy move on their part but unnecessary.
wangus12
AG
I absolutely agree that they have to play to the whistle there. Insane that all 11 Villa players stopped. Granted, most of Leeds stopped moving as well which is what I think caused the confusion.
Mathguy64
AG
The really weird part is the table implication. Leeds is at 83 and in 3rd. AV is at 5. West Brom is at 80 in 4th but with a better goal difference than Leeds. If Leeds has beaten AV they would be at 85 and locked at 3rd. There is an outside chance that Leeds ends in 4th and they would rematch AV. Crazy.
jeffk
AG
Yeah, it looked like everyone thought the second to last guy to touch the ball was going to play it out but then he sent the ball through to his teammate who scored instead.

I've seen a "bad" goal like this scored in a HS game as well and the other coach basically gave the other team a goal off the kickoff. What was weird about this one is that it's typically the team without the injured player that has to decide to play on or kill the play.
PatAg
AG
jeffk said:

Yeah, it looked like everyone thought the second to last guy to touch the ball was going to play it out but then he sent the ball through to his teammate who scored instead.

I've seen a "bad" goal like this scored in a HS game as well and the other coach basically gave the other team a goal off the kickoff. What was weird about this one is that it's typically the team without the injured player that has to decide to play on or kill the play.

Maybe I'm misreading your sentence, but that's how this played out as well
jeffk
AG
Lol. You're not misreading, I'm just an idiot who can't tell which team (both wearing white shorts) a player belongs to on his phone screen.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.