***** Official 2018 World Cup Group C Thread *****

7,379 Views | 200 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by deadbq03
fig96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Well that was a very French fall.
astroboy
AG
And the yellow cards begin! CONCACAF DEFENSE [Off] On
JJxvi
AG
French central midfield is soooo damn good, if they actually try to press.
gambochaman
AG
Peru are trying to dribble out like they were Spain...they are not...costs them a goal
fig96
AG
JJxvi said:

French central midfield is soooo damn good, if they actually try to press.
There's a reason Pogba is worth like a bazillion dollars. Pretty goal.
gougler08
AG
Peru really should have had one a couple minutes earlier and then punished like that. Will be interesting to see if the French defense is good enough to get them far in this tourney
gambochaman
AG
and now the French are really asserting themselves...Peru needs to try to hang on to this result and go to the break and regroup
gambochaman
AG
they just went over some of the French players that did not make the WC squad....holy hell..enough talent to field two competitive WC teams
fig96
AG
That had a WICKED bend on it...missed by inches.
gougler08
AG
fig96 said:

That had a WICKED bend on it...missed by inches.

Man that was a missile
gambochaman
AG
would have no doubt been candidate for best goal
LeonardSkinner
gambochaman said:

they just went over some of the French players that did not make the WC squad....holy hell..enough talent to field two competitive WC teams

And somehow our JV team drew with them.

I thought I might be able to get through the day without hating Sunil, Jurgen, and Bruce, but... nope.
Mathguy64
AG
Dear Jose,

Please let Paul Pogba have this much freedom.

Sincerely,

ManUFan
gambochaman
AG
LeonardSkinner said:

gambochaman said:

And somehow our JV team drew with them.

I thought I might be able to get through the day without hating Sunil, Jurgen, and Bruce, but... nope.
I wouldnt put a lot of stock on a pre-WC friendly...
gambochaman
AG
France defending with all 11 players basically inside the box
Mike Elko
AG
gambochaman said:

Yet, they beat Australia 2-1 and are holding on 1-0 against Peru. Color me unimpressed.
Mathguy64
AG
There is the first case of VAR correcting mistaken identity. Card given to the wrong player.
JJxvi
AG
6 points, and I think they got a relatively decent chance of ending up with 9. I'm kinda impressed. I dont see any reason to be negative about France's performance, especially compared with some other bigger powers so far.
TXAggie2011
AG
AustinAg2012 said:

gambochaman said:

Yet, they beat Australia 2-1 and are holding on 1-0 against Peru. Color me unimpressed.
OK. So, with that, honest question: is anyone impressing you at this World Cup?
Juan Solo
AG
Feel bad for Peru, was hoping they'd qualify out of the group along with France.
fig96
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

AustinAg2012 said:

gambochaman said:

Chiming in, there really haven't been a lot of terribly impressive teams, the ones I've been the most impressed with are smaller sides that have found results or gotten really close (like Peru).

Personally I've enjoyed the chaos we've seen so far, and I do like what we've seen from Belgium and (hate to say) Mexico.
Bryan98
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

AustinAg2012 said:

gambochaman said:

The correct answer here is Belgium, Croatia, and Russia (!). Possibly Mexico but we need another game from both them and Germany to put that one into context.
fig96
AG
Bryan98 said:

TXAggie2011 said:

AustinAg2012 said:

gambochaman said:

The correct answer here is Belgium, Croatia, and Russia (!). Possibly Mexico but we need another game from both them and Germany to put that one into context.
It may be slightly unfair based on their first two matches, but I still want to see another game from Russia. Feels like the home team got their pick of the groups
deadbq03
AG
In truth, it's not fair to judge the teams that have only played one game. I'd bet a coke that Colombia will look much better, and I have a feeling that Germany will too... Or maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part.
bagger05
AG
Yeah, on the one hand eight goals is impressive. On the other hand five of those goals came against possibly THE weakest team in the tournament. And the game against Uruguay is meaningless so we might not know much until we get to the knockout. Will be facing either Portugal or Spain. Should be awesome.
Bryan98
AG
bagger05 said:

Yeah, on the one hand eight goals is impressive. On the other hand five of those goals came against possibly THE weakest team in the tournament. And the game against Uruguay is meaningless so we might not know much until we get to the knockout. Will be facing either Portugal or Spain. Should be awesome.
I agree with all of this. I'm just saying that Russia has been impressive. They were thought to be terrible, and they have annihilated their opponents.

Let's put it in this context: They have scored two Ronaldos. To the best of my count, only Croatia and Spain have scored even one Ronaldo. Obviously a lot of teams still haven't played two games, and Ronaldo has. This will be a key stat for the tournament going forward.

A Ronaldo = however many goals Ronaldo has scored, obviously.
OregonAggie
AG
AustinAg2012 said:

gambochaman said:

I don't think France has lived up to expectations yet but their win over Peru was a good one. That's a talented team and I love watching their style of play. They just couldn't find the net.

I've been very suprised that the 3 front runners (Germany, France, and Brazil), in my opinion, haven't been impressive yet. Then you have the cluster F that Argentina is right now and it's been a weird tournament.
JJxvi
AG
So looks like Denmark is going pretty much full strength while France is resting several?
JJxvi
AG
I guess Denmark made a couple changes, plus Poulsen is suspended anyway.
TshirtVulture
Looks like France can afford to rest a couple as ref seems to be on their side. Early anyways
gambochaman
AG
Peru finally get one

with them scoring, now Costa Rica is the only team without a goal in this world cup
nomad2007
AG
gambochaman said:

Peru finally get one

with them scoring, now Costa Rica is the only team without a goal in this world cup
Good, hope it stays that way.
JJxvi
AG
Denmark now has a 3 goal cushion then
gambochaman
AG
JJxvi said:

Denmark now has a 3 goal cushion then
wonder if thats going to result in our first 0-0 tie of the WC now
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Why the hate on Costa Rica?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.