Shocked

5,999 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by redd38
aggiepaintrain
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
don't have a losing record in other words, see Corbelli
redd38
AG
It's hilarious to watch you people jerk off to the thought of G getting fired.

Corbelli had more seasons below .500 than G has seasons where his wins didn't at least double his losses.

G also has more SEC championships for A&M than any other coach. (And soccer earned more Big 12 titles than any other sport as well, all under G of course).

G is the 4th winningest active D1 coach.
Corbelli wasn't even top 30.
CDub06
AG
It's a shame to lose such great representatives of the university in the Corbellis.

However, comparing the two sports is silly. The soccer staff is in no danger, even if they have a down year. But what's a "down year"?

Volleyball went 10-15 (7-11 Conference) this year. Soccer's worst season was last year at 12-8-2 - never have they dipped below .500

It could be argued that the Volleyball's progress had stagnated. Yes, they had a conference championship in 2015 (their only conference championship in history), but they had only made the Sweet 16 Once in the last fourteen years (and missed the tournament 5 times).

Aggie soccer has made the Sweet 16 Eight times in that same fourteen year period and has 9 regular season conference championships (and 8 conference tournament championships).

All-time Corbelli's winning percentage was 66.81% (63.3% Conference). G is at 75.64% (79.13% Conference). Last 5 year's percentage is 63.74% for Corbelli and 75.17% for G.

So I don't think Woodward sees this as a "slip up and you're fired" deal. I think he's looking big picture. I thought Corbelli was the most in danger of the women's coaches. Jo Evans bought some goodwill with that WCWS appearance last year. The soccer staff has nothing to worry about.
redd38
AG
Did you find all that info in the media guide?
CDub06
AG
Yes. The best media guide out there is an excel spreadsheet I created on my laptop.
jeffk
AG
redd38 said:

It's hilarious to watch you people jerk off to the thought of G getting fired.

You and I define hilarious very differently.
redd38
AG
Figuratively!
Aston94
AG
So it's hilarious to figuratively watch someone jack off?

Weirdo.
expresswrittenconsent
Maybe he has a different definition of "hilarious" and of "jerking off".
redd38
AG
Aston94 said:

So it's hilarious to figuratively watch someone jack off?

Weirdo.

Don't fetish shame
HiddenAg2
Yeah, I don't see Coach G in any trouble, however, this new message that Woodward sent yesterday was pretty major I believe. NCAA 1st round appearances every year might not be enough to keep your job long term, especially if you mix in a losing record. Coach G has been a 2nd round to Sweet 16 type coach at A&M, which is pretty good but not elite. The question that we really don't know right now is what is Woodward's standard? If it's a Top 5-8 type program, that could eventually be an issue for Coach G. He's been to one Final Four in 25 years. And for some this past season could be considered a disappointment with an early NCAA exit with a loaded roster. I just don't know now. For the most part I'm okay with Coach G but I would like to see more appearances in the College Cup, which would in turn elevate recruiting. I would recommend that Coach G have a solid year next year though and not slip to a 12-8 type season again. Who knows what Woodward is communicating to G about his new standards.
mullokmotx
AG
The NCAA Tournament expanded to 64 teams in 2001. Since then, we have made the second round all 17 times, the Sweet 16 11 times, Elite 8 6 times and the College Cup once.
Because we were eliminated by the eventual national champion in the second round last year the expectation was we would go further this year and that is the big disappointment this season, and especially because it happened at home.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

But the NCAA committee really screwed A&M in this draw, both in seeding and placing a top 15 RPI team in ND in our 2nd round matchup. That is just not defendable.

EVERYONE *****es about how they get screwed in seeding. You're going to have to beat good teams eventually to win a championship, so what difference does it really make when you have to beat them?

Where exactly should they have placed ND in this bracket and how does that not screw their new expected 2nd round matchup? Whether soccer or basketball, there aren't really any favorable 2nd round matchups unless you're clearly the best team in the country.
redd38
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

Where exactly should they have placed ND in this bracket and how does that not screw their new expected 2nd round matchup? Whether soccer or basketball, there aren't really any favorable 2nd round matchups unless you're clearly the best team in the country.

In an ideal bracket the top 16 teams would be playing the 17-32nd ranked teams in the second round. No teams in the top 16 should be playing each other in that round. No one gets screwed.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.