Referee Stories...lets hear 'em

8,959 Views | 79 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by agsalaska
jessexy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
NJ75AGfdt said:

I agree that parents should take some sort of class, or referee a scrimmage themselves. I was refereeing an U14 or U15 girls HYSA playoff game. When one team was throwing in the ball, a leather lunged parent from the other team yelled, "ILLEGAL THROW IN REF!" This continued for the first 10 minutes of the first half when I called my linesman over and asked him if he identified the perpetrator. He said no, but I told him I was about to have to address this guy. Well, shortly thereafter the opposition girl tried to throw in the ball. The guy yelled, "WATCH HER...THEY'RE ALL THROWING IT IN ILLEGALLY!" She muffed this one. I told her to go back and she'd get another chance. I approached the side line and said, "Folks, cheer your kids on, but I'm the traffic cop for the game. Pleas don't.....". He interrupted my statement and said loudly, "If you'd call throw in right, I wouldn't say anything." Truth is there was no little or no difference how either team was throwing in the ball. I turned to him and said loudly back, "I'm glad you identified yourself because you were the one I wanted to find. This is your one chance to cease and desist this...."'. Again he cut me off and loudly stated, "If you'd call it right I wouldn't...". I cut him off and said, "You're oughtta here. Walk toward that pavilion (that was ~200 yards away)." He initially refused to leave, and 1) dispatched both teams to the their sidelines, and 2) told my linesman to get a tournament official. I didn't restart the game until he was 1/2 way to the pavilion. Technically, the throw ins were not "perfect", but they were good enough, IMO, to restart the game. The object of the throw in is to get the game going again. Refs generally have less problem when the ball is moving.
Next time just call every throw-in illegal. So you're in the same spot for 10 minutes with each team throwing the ball back and forth to each other. It's more fun for you and everyone gets the message after a while. If the coaches object, just tell them you'll add the time back in. Girls' teams will get a kick out of it. Boys' team will tell the dad to stop it themselves to they can just play.
jessexy
AG
Ghost of Andrew Eaton said:

I know this ref and have talked with him about this play. Thing is, we agreed that his action wasn't necessary. But we also agreed that the focus is way off. The player ran 10-12 yards at the AR (who didn't make the call, btw) to get in the ARs face. Maybe if the player doesn't do this, this incident doesn't happen at all. That should be the takeaway.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
It's not a great look by the player but the ref stepped on the field and initiated contact. There is no excusing that.

We had two refs wear their red uniforms this season, which happened to be the same red as the opposing team goalies. The hissy fit they through after being asked to if they should change was hilarious.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
Rudyjax
AG
jessexy said:

Ghost of Andrew Eaton said:

I know this ref and have talked with him about this play. Thing is, we agreed that his action wasn't necessary. But we also agreed that the focus is way off. The player ran 10-12 yards at the AR (who didn't make the call, btw) to get in the ARs face. Maybe if the player doesn't do this, this incident doesn't happen at all. That should be the takeaway.

Yeah. No. Player didn't run nor was it 10-12 yards. AR was wrong.

Probably a yellow for dissent but that's part of the game.

AR needs to be better than that.
jeffk
AG
Yeah, adults don't get to behave like children and then say it was because a child was also acting childish.
jeffk
AG
As far as changing shirts goes, I usually wait to choose my shirt until after I've seen what the keepers are wearing but I've also politely asked a coach if they had a different jersey their keeper could wear a couple times because we had someone on the crew who only had one option on-hand. Most of the time it's not a big deal.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
I'm amazed at the number of goalie jersies that easily match other teams uniforms. Get the obnoxious neon colors and be done with it.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
jeffk
AG
Yeah, when I was coaching we went with gumball pink for a few years and neon green another for that very reason.
Mathguy64
AG
I'll worry about not conflicting with a GKer the next time I decide I should stand near one. Or the next time the league supplies my kit.
agsalaska
AG
Great thread.

I am not a referee but coached rec soccer and currently coach select baseball. My daughter plays select soccer and is a Freshman JV 5a and my son plays 12u Select baseball.

I just do not see the abuse that is supposedly so widespread in soccer. In the hundreds of soccer games I have watched my daughter play(and son when he was younger) I have only seen one or two instances of misconduct, both by head coaches. One was ridiculous and almost required the police. That coach was from a major program in Houston and has/had zero business coaching young women. But the referee was fully supported by every other grownup in attendance.

The other was probably really on the ref being a bit sensitive.

We were in Dallas at a tournament last week at BVB or something like that in Carrolton and the officiatign was phenomenal. Really really really good. I find the officials are usually very good.

I won't turn this into baseball, but baseball is a different problem. The amount of abuse dealt to umpires is beyond ridiculous.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.