******BTHO Oklahoma State******

3,397 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Expert Analysis
aggietony2010
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Dirty play to close that half by the pokes.
McJulie-O
AG
4 minutes left in 2nd OT
blake2003
AG
Awful result.
GrapevineAg
AG
Good effort ladies, not a bad result.
aggietony2010
AG
Absolutely disappointing result.
jt2hunt
AG
Tie
MROD92
Oh well
McJulie-O
AG
Top 20 match up.... good opponent
Hand Of God
AG
I continue to be puzzled by the quiet start of very capable and previously dominant attacking players like Pounds, Watt, and Bates. All three were neutralized tonight and couldn't find a way to leave a distinct mark on the game. Perhaps it's the formation? Something's just not clicking in our attack.
redd38
AG
Disappointing result for sure. Physical teams have always been our weakness. Especially frustrating when we give them a goal and the ref doesn't count one of our goals though.
redd38
AG
Hand Of God said:

I continue to be puzzled by the quiet start of very capable and previously dominant attacking players like Pounds, Watt, and Bates. All three were neutralized tonight and couldn't find a way to leave a distinct mark on the game. Perhaps it's the formation? Something's just not clicking in our attack.

I don't think Bates is ever going to be the same player she was before her injuries.
Aggie Futbol
A really unpleasant game to watch as an Aggies fan. Our play was so rough and lacking in rhythm and control. Too many of our players kept attempting solo attacks instead of making the simple quick pass. I'm not opposed to the occasional solo attempt but it really can't be too frequent. Maybe they didn't believe their teammates couldn't maintain possession. Whatever it was, it has to change and improve.

The team is touted as one that plays a so-called possession style. It was not evident tonight. I really hope this year's offense is more effective than last year's team with just over 20 goals scored. We should have the talent to put up good numbers but other than Harvey and Mahlerbe I didn't see much offensive aggressiveness.

At least the effort was strong. The team worked hard. In fact, they worked harder than they should have needed to for a tie to only a good team. If these players have big aspirations this year they need to get their act together in the field.
HiddenAg2
Obviously a disappointing result tonight against a better than expected OSU side. The physical teams have always been A&M's weakness and the Cowboys really asserted their presence and played a rough style of soccer. We always complain about it but the book on Coach G teams is out there and pretty much everyone knows that's how you beat us.

But really this team shouldn't be struggling with the OSU's of the world this season; there is too much talent on the roster to struggle to put away chances when you have such a dominating offensive stat sheet. A&M has scored 5 goals and 3 of them are by defenders. The forwards have 1 goal (Pounds). The touches in the final third really aren't good enough and many times they don't make contact on good passes/crosses into the box. And it doesn't help that Pounds missed a point blank shot in front of goal with 3 seconds left. Watt has had a very shaky start to the season and really hasn't had many true shots on goal at all. Bates does hustle and had some opportunities, but the shots and passes/crosses were poor.

The good news is that Malherbe has returned to form and is clearly the best player on this team right now and she is flying around the field with skill on the ball and makes good passes. There is an obvious difference in the team when she's in the game. It's really amazing the difference between last year and this year for her and of course her individual effort on the go ahead goal with 7 minutes left was a thing of beauty. As someone else already mentioned, the possession in the midfield was not consistent and it got a bit jerky in the 2nd half. There is too much dribbling around without purpose and we missed some obvious through balls in space that could have been scoring opportunities. I think some of it was frustration because we couldn't possess the ball long enough to create better chances. Why Hajdu didn't play more I don't know but she didn't look injured.

The risk of 3 on the backline is that it's vulnerable to counter attacks and tonight we saw more of it as the midfield couldn't get back to help at times. This results in some panicked play and confusion, which we saw play out on the own goal in the 1st half. And giving up a goal with 4 minutes left is never good. I also thought GK play was shaky as well with some indecision at times. I'd like to see Ausmus get some more chances in front of goal. Lopez is very talented and has really nice passes into the box - we just need to connect on them more.

A&M really doesn't have much room for error now if the goal is to get a #1 seed. Let's hope OSU has a really good year to help with the RPI. Of course I could be completely wrong about this team and maybe we're just a good but not great team, but that would be squander a lot of talent (at least on paper). A&M needs to put teams away early so we don't have to work so hard in the final moments of a game.
sharpdressedman
HiddenAg2 said:

The physical teams have always been A&M's weakness and the Cowboys really asserted their presence and played a rough style of soccer. We always complain about it but the book on Coach G teams is out there and pretty much everyone knows that's how you beat us.
Seeing multiple comments like this gets increasingly disturbing year after year. Having the reputation of being soft is never a good thing, IMO. I believe finesse usually trumps force in soccer, but the latter has often been the equalizer that allows lesser teams to successfully compete with our girls. Moreover, beating a good team that plays a physical game becomes very difficult.

An early season tie against a good team is acceptable, and we know our talent is broad and deep. Accept it as a learning experience and move on.

mullokmotx
AG
Seemed like Stephanie had not touched the ball for about 10 minutes before she scored. Right after the score we seemed to play the ball into the corner to stall. Were totally outplayed the first OT. I think that was the first appearance for Kendall this season.
Timberwolf
AG
Way better to tie than lose
Hand Of God
AG
HiddenAg2 said:

Watt has had a very shaky start to the season and really hasn't had many true shots on goal at all.

I was called a dumb, despondent, negative, miserable lunatic for suggesting this just one match ago.

I still think Watt will find her form but right now the evidence suggests she's got a ways to go.
aggietony2010
AG
With the expectations for the team this season, a home draw to a low top 20 team is disappointing.

Maybe Osu is really good this year. But at it stands this was a bad outcome. The offense isn't clicking. There's a lot of soccer left, but the early returns are disappointing.
redd38
AG
Hand Of God said:

HiddenAg2 said:

Watt has had a very shaky start to the season and really hasn't had many true shots on goal at all.

I was called a dumb, despondent, negative, miserable lunatic for suggesting this just one match ago.

I still think Watt will find her form but right now the evidence suggests she's got a ways to go.

You wrote off Watt's whole season after 2 games. Hidden did not.
Hand Of God
AG
redd38 said:

Hand Of God said:

HiddenAg2 said:

You wrote off Watt's whole season after 2 games. Hidden did not.

You're right. When I said "Hopefully she finds her top form as the year progresses" and "Everything just seems one beat off at the moment. Repetition should help" what I really meant was "Watt should just sit the rest of the year because she has no chance of success."
Timberwolf
AG
I get its disappointing but losing would have been terrible
AR_Ag95
AG
Was very pleased w/ our true Freshman.... future is bright!

OSU was a solid team that got a lucky goal that gave them confidence. I have high hopes for this year.
mullokmotx
AG
Did anyone think Haley got fouled in the box in the first half? Didn't look like the defender got any part of the ball. I was wondering if the long layoff had any impact. I'm worried about DePaul. I think they played Thursday and we had a physical game and they have 2 players on the Top Drawer Soccer preseason top 100.
redd38
AG
I don't recall any time Harvey got fouled in the box.

I wish I could have gotten another look at that free kick that the keeper appeared to have carried over the goal line though. They didn't show a replay of it tv, but sure looked like it live.
mullokmotx
AG
Correction, the non call when Haley got taken was early in the second half. On the catch by the OSU keeper I looked at the assistant referee and she was right on the goal line but it sure was close to being all the way over the line.
Expert Analysis
AG
Most of my thoughts are inline with Hiddens.
We were clearly the better side, but inability to have quality chances in the final 3rd is troublesome to say the least. Our passing, overall decision making, and ability to strike the ball are not where they need to be. Wr are just not in sync.
I feel that we play hard, but at the same time are lazy. Id like to see Harvey be more active after she passes, 2 many times it seems she makes a pass to someone moving upfield and stands there. She is a warrior out there but when we are moving upfield it isnt the time to rest.
Lopez needs to be more direct with her kicks, there is no need to lose velocity by bending it as much as she was, minor detail, she has been great.
Our back 3 are not fast and need support on counters. Piper at holding mid is great at what she does, but again is not fast. That means the outside mids need to be able to get back and support, neither bates or steph are great at that. Bates doesnt have the speed or control she did as a freshman, still a threat but not as dominant as she was looking capeable of pre injury.
GK needs to be more decisive, 2 times in first half she sat back instead of coming out to get the ball that almost lead to disaater, she was better in the 2nd half, but you gotta get a save or two when you only face a few shots.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.