FIFA U-20 World Cup - S. Korea

3,904 Views | 72 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Bryan98
gambochaman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Venezuela continues their surreal run
aznaggiegirl07
AG
PORTUGAL -2
S. KOREA- 0

HALFTIME
PJYoung
AG
Aston94 said:

US ties 1-1, playing over 45 minutes a man down, and wins group. Complaining about bad refereeing at one of these WC events is a right of passage, but this guy was the worst. The yellows and red he gave out were laughable. Cameron Carter-Vickers committed one foul the whole match, but got 2 yellows and was off.
I hate referees that make themselves bigger than the game, and this guy was one of those.
So USA will play New Zealand next, but will be without Carter-Vickers, Saucedo and Derrick Jones, the latter 2 on YC accumulation. Jones has been phenomenal and will be the big miss, along with Carter-Vickers.

This match was terrible and it was 100% on the ref. Zero flow for 90 minutes. The red card was bizarre to say the least.
Mathguy64
AG
You guys better get used to these refs. About 90-95% of them are the candidates for WC 2018. A couple of the bigger EUFA guys are not here (EL and CL finals crews and a couple of others) but what you see is basically what will be out there.
Aston94
AG
I am not sure what "get used to them" means, to me as a spectator, exactly. Am I supposed to smile and nod if a kid is given a red card based on the two weakest yellows I have ever seen?

Like I said above, bad refereeing is nothing new at these international tournaments, but the referee for US-Saudi was the worst one I have seen since the guy who disallowed the US goal against Slovenia in the 2010 WC.

TheMasterplan
gambochaman said:

Calm down dude its u-20 lol

Good for VZ
Mustang1
AG
True, but Venezuela consistently finishes last in WCQ.
tysker
AG
Quote:

since the guy who disallowed the US goal against Slovenia in the 2010 WC.
Totally off topic but I've always wondered if Maurice Edu would have been considered a world cup hero by the media if that goal had gone been allowed. But then if it had, we would have never had Landon's 90+ min goal vs Algeria, which was one the greatest moments of sport I've ever witnessed.
TRM
AG
Zambia!
wangus12
AG
Quote:

But then if it had, we would have never had Landon's 90+ min goal vs Algeria, which was one the greatest moments of sport I've ever witnessed.
The greatest use of this gif

gambochaman
AG
TheMasterplan said:

gambochaman said:

Good for VZ
you do realize that venezuela has not ever amounted to anything ever in soccer?
TheMasterplan
gambochaman said:

TheMasterplan said:

gambochaman said:

Good for VZ
you do realize that venezuela has not ever amounted to anything ever in soccer?
Fair point.

USA up 1-0 against NZ.
gambochaman
AG
GOOOOOOOOOOLAAAAAAAASOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
gambochaman
AG
GOLLLLAAAASOOO GOOOOLAAAASOOOO GOLLAAASOOOOOO!!!!
gambochaman
AG
gig them
AG
gambochaman
AG
Dear Venezuela, I love you and I am happy that you made it to the quarterfinals..congratulations

But now...you must die....USA! USA! USA!
PatAg
AG
Wow
New Zealand outclassed
PatAg
AG
They had only given up 3 goals in 3 games
jeffk
stillmerk
wangus12
AG
Gave up no shots on target.

Keep it rolling!
gig them
AG
Bryan98
AG
Only woke up in time for the second half...still saw 83.333% of the goals!

Can not do the 12:50am kickoff this weekend, though. Hopefully the correlation between my watching and the US goal explosions doesn't carry over.
PatAg
AG
It's ok. I didn't watch it live and they scored goals, so I can cancel you out.
akm91
AG
gig them said:

Yay, twice the drubbing!
PatAg
AG
Brooks Lennon, Acosta, and Adams all had dog**** games. Glad was out athleted and de la torre had some moments of brilliance but largely ineffectual

Coulda had the game in regulation but missed an absolute gimme header.
PatAg
AG
bunch of flopping *****es, making the majority of the dirty tackles as well
PatAg
AG
Also absolutely ridiculous the lack of fouls Sargent was getting. He was fouled almost anytime the ball was played into him
PatAg
AG
Williamson made some decent defensive plays but looked outmatched with the ball at his feet as well most of the game. Lots of turnovers in the middle third that led to immediate counters.
PatAg
AG
How can outside backs not hit a simple cross into the box, I'll never understand.
Dre_00
I watched the U-20 game in a haze of sleepiness and alcohol but seems like Venezuela 1) has a lot more youth talent than I would have expected and 2) brought a team to make as long a run as possible. 4 of their players have caps with the full national team. Our team was talented but there was a lot of talent that could have been on the roster but wasn't.

A good effort nonetheless. There are clearly players on that team that could help the full national team sooner rather than later.
jeffk
AG
Now imagine this US U-20 team with Pulisic.
Dre_00
Exactly...and not just Pulisic.

I believe Ramos wanted 2 players for Schalke's reserves but Schalke wouldn't release them. Their reserve team had the chance to win their reserve league and they didn't want to release two of their key players. I have no idea how much they would have played or if they would have made an impact but the point is, that wasn't our absolute strongest selection.
carl spacklers hat
PatAg said:

Brooks Lennon, Acosta, and Adams all had dog**** games. Glad was out athleted and de la torre had some moments of brilliance but largely ineffectual

Coulda had the game in regulation but missed an absolute gimme header.
On the other hand, Venezuela could have (should have?) scored 3 or 4 in regulation. U.S. caught a ton of breaks, including two shots off the cross bar (one bounced down and away from goal line) and a terrible miss by Coronado on a free header in the first half. U.S. looked completely out classed for most of the match.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.