2017 U.S. Open Cup

6,360 Views | 88 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by aggiesoccer#1fan
gig them
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
oh no
AG
so did two lower division teams make it this far? Is that more or less than usual?
aggiesoccer#1fan
AG
The fourth round is in the books, and the fifth round schedule has finally been set! The bracket is fixed through the remainder of the tournament, but the hosts for the semifinals and final won't be drawn until after the quarterfinal round has been completed.
aggiesoccer#1fan
AG
ESPN is going to air the Chicago-Cincinnati match live.
Terk
aggiesoccer#1fan
AG
Since the current format was introduced in 2012 (all MLS teams entering in the round of 32), there have always been at least a couple of lower division teams advancing to the round of 16. In 2012, only half of the MLS teams survived past their first match, meaning half of the round of 16 teams were lower division sides.

In the MLS era, there have only been three tournaments with no lower division clubs in the quarterfinals (most recently in 2015). In 2007, there were 5 lower division teams that advanced to the quarterfinals.

Historically, lower division teams have reached the semifinals about half the time though none have done so in the current format.

There have been 3 lower division teams in the U.S. Open Cup Final. D.C. United defeated Rochester in the 1996 final and Charleston in the 2008 final. The only lower division champion was Rochester; the Rhinos defeated Colorado in the 1999 final.
aggiesoccer#1fan
AG
In the U.S. Open Cup, MLS teams have a record of 195-68-30 against lower division opponents. The MLS side advanced in 19 of the 30 shootouts.
aggiesoccer#1fan
AG
Game Day!
aggiesoccer#1fan
AG
Game Day!

http://thecup.us/2017/06/27/2017-us-open-cup-round-5-preview-fc-dallas-rapids-kick-off-tonight-what-will-fc-cincinnati-fans-do-for-an-encore/
http://www.ussoccer.com/lamar-hunt-us-open-cup/schedule

(Since the College World Series won't need a third game, the Chicago-Cincinnati match has been moved to ESPN.)
fig96
AG
You guys better have ESPN on right now. FCC with 30k at home have Chicago in extra time 0-0.
Aggie95
AG
for relative soccer novices....what would an equivalent upset be in another sport if FCC pulls this off.

They've had 2 bad calls already that cost them this game. Should have been over.
fig96
AG
Aggie95 said:

for relative soccer novices....what would an equivalent upset be in another sport if FCC pulls this off.

They've had 2 bad calls already that cost them this game. Should have been over.
I missed the first till they just showed it, but that offside call was flat wrong.

This is seriously the best game I've seen in a while.
stillmerk
AG
On to pks
fig96
AG
This keeper is getting signed by someone in MLS this week.
HHH 95
AG
I've been thinking about what the equivalent upset would be.

Maybe the Toledo Mud Hens beating the Cleveland Indians.
BlueAggie
AG
Mitch Hildebrandt for USMNT!

What a night. I just don't have words.
oragator
Dude rocks.

He pwned Chicago, and I didn't know what was happening in Cincinnati until this game, they deserve an MLS franchise.
aggiesoccer#1fan
AG
College Football:
Appalachian State winning at Michigan
North Dakota State winning at <lots of places>

College Basketball:
March Madness upsets
oragator
By the way, this is Hildebrandt's entire Wiki page:

"Mitchell A. Hildebrandt (born November 12, 1988) is an American soccer god."
fig96
AG

FTACof2011
AG
Holy crap. Just got back to my car from the FC Cincinnati game. I don't know how well the atmosphere translated over TV, but other than A&M football games that was the best sporting event I've ever been to. #MitchSaysNo
fig96
AG
FTACof2011 said:

Holy crap. Just got back to my car from the FC Cincinnati game. I don't know how well the atmosphere translated over TV, but other than A&M football games that was the best sporting event I've ever been to. #MitchSaysNo
It felt like a totally lit Sounders or Timbers game if not better, atmosphere looked amazing.

Awesome that you got to be there, I hope you'll share stories.
PermianBasinAggie
AG
The assistant referee that raised her flag is my cousin so I'm going to defend her...

I don't think the replay definitively showed that FCC was onside there. By the time the ball was played in, I think it's possible that the FCC player's shoulder was slightly past the final defender's back foot. The camera angle wasn't straight on so it's impossible to be sure. I'm willing to concede though that it's possible he was onside. It was such a tough call with her view of the ball and the offensive player being obstructed. I'm guessing almost any AR in the world would have called offside there.
fig96
AG
No defense needed, I thought it was the wrong call but I totally agree it was a tough call to make (especially considering the other players obstructing the view).

To me he looked on given the way the defender was dragging his back foot, but it's the kind of call you see go either way all the time.

Tobias Funke
AG
FTACof2011 said:

I was there too, in The Bailey. Never been a huge soccer fan but I've had season tickets to FC Cinci this year and have grown to really enjoy the games. Tonight was legitimately in the top 5 of sporting events I've witnessed live... so fun
wangus12
AG
Hands down, FC Cinci needs to be the next MLS team. If it were up to me, I'd delay the LA team just to get this club into the league. Atmosphere is exactly what we want from an fan point of view
Tobias Funke
AG
Completely agree, even though I'm biased. The fan support here is pretty extraordinary. The arena they are planning is going to be amazing as well:

aggiesoccer#1fan
AG
What a match for ESPN to air! This tournament needs more TV coverage (and fewer cr@ppy internet streams).

The Atlanta-Miami match was a thriller as well, with Miami getting the game winner in the 93rd minute:
aggiesoccer#1fan
AG
The fifth round is in the books, and the schedule for the quarterfinals has been set!

Quarterfinals

Monday, July 10
Los Angeles Galaxy (MLS) at San Jose Earthquakes (MLS), 9:30 p.m.

Tuesday, July 11
FC Dallas (MLS) at Sporting Kansas City (MLS), 7:30 p.m.

Wednesday, July 12
FC Cincinnati (USL) at Miami FC (NASL), 6:30 p.m.

Tuesday, July 13
New York Red Bulls (MLS) at New England Revolution (MLS), 6:30 p.m.

All times are Central.
aggiesoccer#1fan
AG
Appearances in the U.S. Open Cup Quarterfinals (Current MLS Teams)

Dallas 16
Chicago 13
Los Angeles Galaxy 12
D.C. United 11
Seattle 11 (including 5 appearances as a lower-division side)
Kansas City 10
New England 9
New York Red Bulls/MetroStars 9
San Jose 9
Colorado 6
Columbus 6
Houston 5
Philadelphia 4
Real Salt Lake 3
Portland 2
Orlando 2 (including an appearance as a lower-division side)
Minnesota 2 (if you include the Minnesota Thunder's appearances as a lower-division side)
Atlanta 0 (the lower-division side had 2 appearances, one as the Ruckus and one as the Silverbacks)
New York City FC 0
aggiesoccer#1fan
AG
The Sounders' elimination means Dempsey still has one match remaining on his USOC suspension.
tysker
AG
Great call by the announcer.
aggiesoccer#1fan
AG
Game Day!

Monday, July 10
San Jose Earthquakes (MLS) 3, Los Angeles Galaxy (MLS) 2
aggiesoccer#1fan
AG
Game Day!

Tuesday, July 11
Sporting Kansas City (MLS) 3, FC Dallas (MLS) 0 (OT)
Gigem Trevas
What a ****ing joke.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.