Klinsmann Fired

5,552 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by ScottishFire
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Here we go

http://www.espnfc.us/united-states/story/3001177/us-soccer-fires-national-team-manager-jurgen-klinsmann
agdoc2001
AG
Well.........bye.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
datrixstunna
AG
He gone...
LSU Baseball Fan
Arena most likely replacement. I'm fine with that. Go after a big fish for the 2022 cycle.
gambochaman
AG
bout time
PJD Ag 10
AG
I like the idea of Arena getting a second shot. He's grown a lot as a coach since 2006.

Interested to see where JK coaches next, if anywhere.
Artorias
AG
Good riddance...

HHH 95
AG
A much needed change. He had lost the locker room.
HHH 95
AG
Hope to see Arena take us through the rest of the Hex and hopefully 2018.
Aston94
AG
Arena, freakin Bruce Arena?!?!

That's the best we can do?

I was sick of his act the first time we fired him.
Mr. White
I loved a lot about JK but it was waaay past time for him to go.

My personal malaise re: U.S. soccer is gone. I'll reiterate: Arena to Russia and Pareja to Qatar and maybe beyond.
PatAg
AG
Do yourself a favor, and don't watch the video with Shaka Hislop and Craig Burley on espn.com

I wish we had a better option for our soccer articles and content then ESPN and their euro-centric people.
OregonAggie
AG
PatAg said:

Do yourself a favor, and don't watch the video with Shaka Hislop and Craig Burley on espn.com

I wish we had a better option for our soccer articles and content then ESPN and their euro-centric people.

What's wrong with what they said? I can't find a thing wrong with what Burley said at all. We don't have world class players. We aren't a country with top 10 talent.
titanmaster_race
Finally. About a year and a half too late.
Mr. White
http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/11/21/armchair-analyst-jurgen-klinsmanns-usmnt-era-comes-close

All of the stats are damning but the final one is stunning.
Wrighty
AG
JK was a huge disappointment. Wish we could go back in time and bring Donovan to Brazil.
FW Declerk
PatAg said:

Shaka put JK on blast.
FW Declerk
Aston94 said:

Arena, freakin Bruce Arena?!?!

That's the best we can do?

I was sick of his act the first time we fired him.
Isn't he the most successful coach in USA history?
PatAg
AG
OregonAggie said:

PatAg said:

What's wrong with what they said? I can't find a thing wrong with what Burley said at all. We don't have world class players. We aren't a country with top 10 talent.
I felt like he wasn't saying that. We maybe have a couple who could be world class with development, but he was making it sound more like we weren't even good.

Maybe I was just butthurt, who knows.
wangus12
AG
PatAg said:

OregonAggie said:

PatAg said:

I felt like he wasn't saying that. We maybe have a couple who could be world class with development, but he was making it sound more like we weren't even good.

Maybe I was just butthurt, who knows.
Well Craig Burley has a stick up his ass about anything not having to do with Chelsea being good.

People on Sports Talk Radio this morning were saying its a permature firing and we'll regret it. Not sure how much they watch soccer though seeing as they've said multiple times that they've never been to an FC Dallas game.
OregonAggie
AG
I haven't been listening to anything this morning other than yesterday's Total Soccer Show podcast. None of the local Dallas guys know a damn thing about this sport so I haven't even tuned in.
Dre_00
I think this feeling has gotten a little out of control. Should he have been fired? Probably, yes and I think it was the time to do it. Was a huge disappointment? Depends on what your expectations were. He came up short in a number of areas but he succeeded in a number of areas as well. I can't remember a coach who unearthed as much talent as Klinsmann did. And I don't think it's just because he found a bunch of foreign born players who were eligible to play for the US. There were some good results and progress was made. I certainly don't think we stagnated or regressed.

Now if Arena gets the job for a long period of time, I think we will stagnate or regress but that's another topic altogether.
LeonardSkinner
Objectively, I don't think Donovan makes a difference in Brazil. The weakest part of the squad was not having an effective replacement for Altidore, and Donovan doesn't really fill that spot. Could have been a substitute for Bedoya or Zusi, but the opportunity for involvement from those spots was limited.

Moving on.

Just for laughs, what lineup should the next manager put out?

Altidore - Wood
Pulisic (pinched in) - Kljestan (at the 8) - Bradley (at the 6) - Gooch (wing)
Johnson - Besler - Cameron - Yedlin
Howard (until he's in a wheelchair)
wangus12
AG
Quote:

Objectively, I don't think Donovan makes a difference in Brazil. The weakest part of the squad was not having an effective replacement for Altidore, and Donovan doesn't really fill that spot. Could have been a substitute for Bedoya or Zusi, but the opportunity for involvement from those spots was limited.
Donovan would have scored.

Kampfers
AG
wangus12 said:

Quote:

Maybe so but everyone forgets that Donovan was being used as a midfielder by Klinsman and not a forward. He would have replaced Julian Green on the roster, not Wondo.

Whether that changes who gets subbed in at which time is a matter of debate, but green scored a goal in that game.
gougler08
AG
wangus12 said:

Quote:

Not cool man, not cool
Kampfers
AG
4-3-3

Pulisic-Altidore-Wood
Klestjan-Bradley-Nagbe
Johnson-Brooks-Cameron-Yedlin
Howard/Guzan/Horvath

Bradley as the #6. Id also give players like Dax McCarty and Danny Williams a look in that midfield.
Mr. White
I'm not a Wondo apologist AT ALL. I was in shock every time I'd see his name on a roster......but, I still think the GK was perfect on that shot (at least at that angle) and that's all Wondo could do without hitting him.

Let the beating commence.
aznaggiegirl07
AG
so kind of related...

I saw Lee Nguyen in the flesh last week...

Dude is tiny...
OregonAggie
AG
Mr. White said:

I'm not a Wondo apologist AT ALL. I was in shock every time I'd see his name on a roster......but, I still think the GK was perfect on that shot (at least at that angle) and that's all Wondo could do without hitting him.

Let the beating commence.

He still should've put it away. I'll also outright say that I've never been a fan of the guy but of anyone on that roster, he'd be the one I would have the most confidence in putting that in the back of the net. He's made a career of picking up trash by being in the right place at the right time and damn I felt awful for him after he missed it. I also wanted to throat punch him.
snowdog90
JK has been a disaster. Good riddance to him. Leaving Donovan behind was a terrible decision, and probably had nothing to do with soccer and everything to do with JK's ego.

JK is a horrible leader, always pushing blame to others and always demeaning his detractors as not knowing as much as he does. This team is talented, and I believe is ready to win, given they have a coach they can believe in.
LeonardSkinner
If the heavens had conspired to put Donovan at that point in time and space, he'd have made a better shot than Wondolowski.

Our Lord could have sent his Son to Jurgen's side and bade him to take Donovan and put him on the pitch, but Jurgen would just say He knows nothing about football.
YankeeAg05
My biggest beef with JK is that he bragged about playing attacking creative soccer but consistently left the attacking creative players at home. Feilhaber, Nguyen, Klejstan are all solid attacking mids who rarely saw the light of day for the nats. We went to the World Cup with one creative player on the entire roster in Deuce. JK always seemed to talk a big game and then roll out lineups with almost no real chance to create offense. Then he'd blame our lack of possession or scoring chances on players not stepping up. I know none of the guys listed are world beaters but I'd have really liked to see Lee Nguyen get a shot at that number 10 role. He'd get invited to camp then come in for the last 10 minutes of one game without really getting to show what he can do. The same pattern got repeated with Nagbe. MLS is not a top league yet but it's BS to say there aren't players out there would could fill that role.
PJD Ag 10
AG
Well said.
birdman
Leaving Donovan off the roster in 2014 should have been the final clue.

Donovan might not have been a starter at forward on that team. But he was best forward off the bench.

Donovan might not have been good enough to start at midfield (I disagree). But he was one of our best options off the bench for midfield.

If you can't find a place on your roster for somebody like that, then you're an idiot. Donovan kept opponents up at night.

Then Altidore pulls his hamstring fifteen minutes into the World Cup. That should have been the final moment that even the staunchest JK defenders realized what a boob he was.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.