USMNT v Mexico, November 11, 2016

32,265 Views | 459 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jeffk
PatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
personally, we showed a lot of attacking verve the last 10 mintues of first half and most of 2nd
they were as on their heels as we were the first 25 in the 3-5-2

Just dont know about klinnsman man
PatAg
AG
aggie kid said:

If there's one adjective I can use, it's "reactive."

Jurgen got cute, and then had to react when it backfired.
Pulisic and Wood were the only ones who were playing proactively. Everyone else on their heels for much of the game.
Referee didn't do great, but it got away from him, and he could only give (ultimately ignored and ineffective) cautions.
**** man, reactive implies actually responding to a situation
not sure id describe jurgen that way

To me, to correctly evaluate our players, you have to ignore the first 25 minutes. We played very well, and were all over them after that point.
jeffk
AG
I want to die.

The Klinnsman Special - tinker wiuth formations and lineups unnecessarily and then give up a late goal on a lazy set piece.
jeffk
AG
And that was the best I've seen Jozy play for the natties in ages.
aarjon
It's going to hurt not having Salcedo, 100X better than Reyes
wangus12
AG
Agreed. Once we switched formations, I thought we looked solid and we were moving the ball aggressively.
PatAg
AG
We said going in that ultimately this game doesn't put us in or out of qualifying. its all about dominating the other 4 teams at home, and taking points on the road. Still frustrating as hell to lose in that manner...or at all
LeonardSkinner
Fair enough, it's not the best word. I just meant that, to be successful as a player-coach-referee, putting yourself in a position where you have to react means you've lost control. You can get it back, but it's really hard, and doubly so when you're down because of your early decisions.
PatAg
AG
aggie kid said:

Fair enough, it's not the best word. I just meant that, to be successful as a player-coach-referee, putting yourself in a position where you have to react means you've lost control. You can get it back, but it's really hard, and doubly so when you're down because of your early decisions.
No I mean, I agreed with you, i was just putting more hate on Jurgen really.

It's hard to say fire him when I think we are overall playing pretty well...but I think we need to make a move to someone who is better at identifying and employing talent...someone like Pareja (my opinion, again)
Gordo14
Two things. We really missed Dempsey today. Really hope he can come back. Without him, Bobby wood is the only real threat to score. And we never should play the 3-5-2 again. **** Rafa. This will make winning in Azteca even better on June 13th.
DeangeloVickers
AG
We look awful....we are much worse

We cant possess
We cant create
We are not good
LeonardSkinner
I don't know that we did miss Dempsey. Who do you take out? Wood, Pulisic, and Altidore were probably the best three USMNT players tonight.
DeangeloVickers
AG
nm
Gordo14
aggie kid said:

I don't know that we did miss Dempsey. Who do you take out? Wood, Pulisic, and Altidore were probably the best three USMNT players tonight.

I mean it was only 5 months ago he was a monster goal scorer for us in a big tournament. At the least he would have been a great late game sub (65 minute+). I think he finds a way to score in that game.
wangus12
AG
Quote:

We really missed Dempsey today
I'm gonna say this. As someone that works in cardiology. I'd give Dempsey about a 10% chance of ever playing professional soccer again. The fact that he has arrhythmia that ended his season means it is something pretty damn serious. Nearly everyone has some irregular beats that mean nothing or even an odd rhythm, but it takes something serious for us to shut someone down. In my head, I hope its something like atrial fibrillation and they are seeing how he reacts with meds and exercise. Could have also developed a form of cardiomyopathy. I'd love the chance to get him in the office and run a stress test to take a look
LeonardSkinner
I see your point. If anyone is going to score against the run of play and against any conventional wisdom, it's Dempsey.

But I think we've seen how invisible he can get with poor midfield play, and tonight there was little consistency in that area for the US.
Gordo14
wangus12 said:

Quote:

We really missed Dempsey today
I'm gonna say this. As someone that works in cardiology. I'd give Dempsey about a 10% chance of ever playing professional soccer again. The fact that he has arrhythmia that ended his season means it is something pretty damn serious. Nearly everyone has some irregular beats that mean nothing or even an odd rhythm, but it takes something serious for us to shut someone down. In my head, I hope its something like atrial fibrillation and they are seeing how he reacts with meds and exercise. Could have also developed a form of cardiomyopathy. I'd love the chance to get him in the office and run a stress test to take a look

I mean, honestly, that's kind of what I was thinking. I just miss the way he creates goals. Bobby Wood has a bit of Dempsey in him at least.
birdman
Dempsey would have been handy in last ten minutes. Team ran out of steam and ideas. He could have sparked the team.
ScottishFire
AG
I blame this game on the 3-5-2 gimmick.
Play the freaking 4-4-2 that we've owned and flourished under for years. We couldn't possess our own cleats the first twenty minutes and our back line was under constant duress.
I'm one of the few people left in America who likes Klinsmann, but I put this game on his back for getting cute with formations. Foolish
PatAg
AG
ScottishFire said:

I blame this game on the 3-5-2 gimmick.
Play the freaking 4-4-2 that we've owned and flourished under for years. We couldn't possess our own cleats the first twenty minutes and our back line was under constant duress.
I'm one of the few people left in America who likes Klinsmann, but I put this game on his back for getting cute with formations. Foolish
Not only could we not possess, but we were beyond extremely porous on defense too. We just seemed to have no idea who was marking who in the midfield, or picking up their forwards when they dropped back.

3-5-2 you should be able to throttle the midfield, imo.
Pahdz
Sorry if it's been discussed, but WTF was Josh doing fouling a guy 35 yards from goal, back to goal and retreating with no help, that led to the free kick that ultimately gave them the winning corner? That was freaking boneheaded
DeangeloVickers
AG
After sleeping on it. Michael Bradley sucks.
Sooner Born
Agree. It just seems like his quality has diminished significantly ever since he left Serie A.
jeffk
AG
Ryno01 said:

After sleeping on it. Michael Bradley sucks.

I love the guy. That being said, it's unfortunate that he's the best option we have at the 8. He's a turnover machine trying to build an attack.
jeffk
AG
It's worth noting that all other recent 2-0 wins had official threads that followed SB protocol.
Sooner Born
The root cause is finally identified.
PatAg
AG
Pahdz said:

Sorry if it's been discussed, but WTF was Josh doing fouling a guy 35 yards from goal, back to goal and retreating with no help, that led to the free kick that ultimately gave them the winning corner? That was freaking boneheaded
yea, I said/thought the exact same thing as it happened. I appreciated the hustle behind it, but that was a dumb foul in a dangerous spot.
PatAg
AG
How did we let this happen...is it jurgen's fault somehow?
titanmaster_race
JK once again back to publicly throwing his players under the bus and not taking responsibility for his ****ty formations and tactics.
PatAg
AG
http://soccer.nbcsports.com/2016/11/13/the-scenarios-are-clear-for-usmnt-secure-a-result-in-costa-rica-or-else/

While I appreciate there is more coverage out there for soccer, I dislike stupid articles. I'm sorry, the world is not over after you play 2 games...especially the 2 TOUGHEST games. It would reduce the margin of error for sure, but to act like we wouldnt qualify if we dont get points away at Costa Rica is pretty silly.
PatAg
AG
titanmaster_race said:

JK once again back to publicly throwing his players under the bus and not taking responsibility for his ****ty formations and tactics.
"The key in that system is that your central midfielders need to get into these one-against-one battles," Klinsmann said in his postgame news conference. "That's something that was not happening the first 25-30 minutes. Not Michael Bradley nor Jermaine got into these battles and their players could roam and that really puts difficulties, so that gave them their chances. So we changed it then back because we train different systems, we have that always available.

That is just garbage from your manager. He may be partially correct, but what I saw in the breakdown defensively was most definitely not only happening centrally. Granted I never played at a professional level, but I played at a pretty competitive club level pre-collegiate. There were plenty of games where we would change our tactics and formation after about 10-15 tops. Sometimes it just isn't working, or the other team is enjoying immense success and you have to change.

I also despise managers that put the blame, IN PUBLIC, on the players. How can you respect your coach if you feel like he doesn't have your back. Perhaps it is different in Europe, but he has been here almost 20 years, Jurgen should know better.
jeffk
AG
Not to mention HE IS THE ONE WHO MADE THE CHANGE IN OUR MIDFIELD FORMATION AND PERSONNEL.

We had been playing pretty decently without Jones and in a four-back system, but instead of rolling with what we'd been working on, he decided to scrapheap it and roll an out of form 50 year old midfielder in at CM in arguably the most important game of the Hex.

It looked good in practice though, he said.
LeonardSkinner
jeffk said:

Not to mention HE IS THE ONE WHO MADE THE CHANGE IN OUR MIDFIELD FORMATION AND PERSONNEL.

We had been playing pretty decently without Jones and in a four-back system, but instead of rolling with what we'd been working on, he decided to scrapheap it and roll an out of form 50 year old midfielder in at CM in arguably the most important game of the Hex.

It looked good in practice though, he said.

Yeah, and I'm a regular Lothario. In practice.
Sooner Born
I'm beginning to notice that Klinnsman really relies on some very diverse elements such as: fear, surprise, a ruthless efficiency, an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope, and nice white uniforms.
jeffk
AG
From all accounts though, there weren't any issues with violence or racial crap. In fact, I've read some good articles about how well everyone got along.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.