Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

A&M belongs in the SEC

45,508 Views | 244 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by ColoradoMooseHerd
knight ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Maybe I missing something but were does the state of Texas and aTm fit into the South EASTERN Conference? By this logic maybe we can join the WAC or PAC 10 and be conference champs...

And whats all this noise about kicking out a nothern school like ISU? Kick Baylor out, they never win. ISU doens't have a football championship, but they have multiple basketball championships and last time I checked aTm had 0.
ac
How did ISU do in their last visit to Kyle Field? Why should they be kicked out?

If you kick out Baylor, whoever you replace them with will fare about the same. Smebody has to finish last, no matter who you have in a conference. Why do you think the SEC keeps Vandy?
BamafaninTX
quote:
Scoreboard, Bama...Basketball and Football

Scoreboard has nothing to do with the comments. Vanderbilt helps the SECs overall academic rating and Kentucky will be kept around solely because of their basketball program.

The SEC is highly unlikely to boot one of the long standing members,thus Arkansas and/or South Carolina would be the ones that would probably get kicked as they are the newest members.

If, and that's a big if, the SEC chose to kick out a historical member Vanderbilt and Kentucky would be safe for the reasons listed above. After them, it would come down to who generates the most revenue for the conference. The two schools that would face the chopping block then would be from Mississippi. Mississippi State historically is strong in baseball and basketball. Ole Miss has been stronger in football and that is the big money maker.
BigAG98
AG
If A&M were in the SEC it would be an instant advantage for A&M with recruits.

Stay in Texas and play in the SEC?

Stay in Texas and play in the boring Big XII?

No brainer...stay in Texas and play for A&M in the SEC.

Starkvegas
Bama, that is a logical thought process (though I can make an argument about the football), but none of it really matters anyway b/c none of this will happen...it would be nice to have A&M in the conference, but it won't happen any time soon.

The old A&M/LSU series was always a fun one.
abcguyks
The summation of the posts in this thread is that Aggie fans want the SWC back. You can have it. I'd like to have the Big 8 back the way it was and move the conference headquarters and conference championships back to KC where they actually sell out (unlike Dallas).

There are sports besides football (did I really just say that??)

[This message has been edited by abcguyks (edited 4/27/2007 1:16p).]
Red Fishing Ag93
thisisnick
Eh, I'd never want the SWC back. Don't think it would work. Too many Texas schools fighting for recruits would water down the talent for the whole conference. The thought is pretty awesome, a mostly all Texas conference, but just not doable now a days. Best article I read on the reasons for the break up of the SWC:

http://www.texasalmanac.com/history/highlights/swc/
BigAG98
AG
The best articles on this subject are from Homer Jacobs of the 12th Man Magazine and Brett Z I believe of the San Antonio Express News (It may have been someone else).
wareagle044
After A&M finishes this season and moves to the SEC here is their schedule for '08

A&M's SEC 2008 schedule

AUBURN - KYLE FIELD (Loss)
LSU - Baton Rouge (Loss)
MS State - KYLE FIELD (Win)
Ole Miss - Oxford (Win)
Arkansas - KYLE FIELD (Win)
Alabama - Tuscaloosa (Loss)
Florida - KYLE FIELD (Loss)
Georgia - Athens (Loss)

3-5 and good enough to finish tied with Arkansas for 4th in the west had they moved over in 2007 i think they could beat Alabama, but assuming Saban establishes himself and lives up to expectations '08 goes to the Tide

so 7-5 over-all and possible Chic-Fil-A bowl appearance against an ACC team or the Outback Bowl against a Big 10 team.

this is just pure speculation, i love A&M football, i just think they have a lot to do to compete with the tough defenses week in and week out in the SEC. Even Ole Miss and MS State who arent well established teams are capable of an upset here and there. i could be totally wrong and they could come over and run the west and take the title from one of the high powered east teams. i'm no fortune teller

[This message has been edited by wareagle044 (edited 4/27/2007 8:25p).]
The Chicken Ranch
AG
How is that different from losing to tu, OU, Tech, Nebraska, and Colorado on a consistent basis?

Point is that the SEC is a better fit for A&M in the long run for many different reasons. No one is saying that we would tear up the SEC in the short term.
BigAG98
AG
wareagle,

good teams come and go. nobody is saying we would tear it up next year but eventually we would win the league. it's hard to win the big 12. most of the championships have divided up pretty good.
nickwc
"CU makes a lot more sense in the Big 12 than Iowa State. CU has been a powerhouse in football and they have the money to pour into it, even if they aren't really showing up right now. They'll be resurgent. ISU hasn't and won't."

wasn't it two years ago ISU gave us one of the worse beatdowns in our history, they flat out embarrassed us.

BigAG98
AG
nickwc,

wasn't that isu's first win EVER against us?

what's your point?
MW_111
Moving to the SEC would be a disaster. A&M has been a tier 3 Big 12 school over the past 5 years. Movement would be down rather than up in the SEC.
nickwc
my point is bigag that when someone says that a team isn't good and will never be good im just sayin give em time. Wasn't it just a couple years ago our bball program was 0-16 and no one was throwin us under the bus.
A&MHomers
Maybe all you aggie fans should think back to 2005 when ISU came into your house and kicked your a$$. Maybe you should worry about beating teams in your own state like the Horns who other than your fluke win last year have owned you, instead of worrying about getting rid of teams in your conference.
Davy_Crockett
AG
You yanks and short sighted native homers don’t get it. It’s a cultural thing. It’s not about the ability to compete in any one given season or one given game of the Franchione era. The competitiveness will take care of itself over time.

It’s about culture and exposure -- the revenue associated with the Texas television markets and huge ever growing alumni base that we have to offer -- the advantages of being in a position to offer a major conference alternative in the state of Texas providing a recruiting advantage over tu and OU and thus making the program more competitive long term.
BaronVonAggie
AG
SEC sucks, its like the SWC was in the early 80's in terms of cheating.
Also why are the people griping about Iowa State, they beat us soundly the last time we played.
The real gripe when you get to the bottom of it is we dominated the SWC for the better part of a decade, and people are upset that we no longer dominate in football.
The best way to remedy that is to support the team and stop attacking our coach/players, and stop concocting childish fantasies about the SEC.
Davy_Crockett
AG
This offseason BS thread about conferences is just the real devil allright. It is an attack on our coaches and players. It must stop immediately or we’ll all be doomed, doomed I tell ya.
RaiderRedd
RBTexan.........so how are things in Menard?
Glad to see you didn't want to drop TT in your realignment!
LSU A&M
why would A&M play in the SEC if CS is not in the Southeast?
rwtxag83
AG
A&MHomers

So when it comes to ISU we should think about the one game they've beaten us out of all the others where we beat them, but when it comes to tu we should think about all the games tu has won lately, and not the most recent one where we BEAT them? So which part of your convoluted logic is the part we should stick to?

Nice first post rookie.

What a jerk.
Ag of Northern Virginia
SEC is better than the Big 12 in everything - football, eyecandy, atmosphere, passion, tailgaiting, eyecandy, media coverage, stadiums, environments, eyecandy, location, recruits, culture, eyecandy.... did I mention eyecandy?
Ag of Northern Virginia
You decide:

Davy_Crockett
AG
quote:
why would A&M play in the SEC if CS is not in the Southeast?

College Station is geographically the Southeastern most town in the Big 12. CS is a few miles closer to Baton Rouge (where you claimed to be when you registered today 3 minutes before your post) than it is to any town in the old Big 8, the nearest being Norman.

We have a 65 game series history dating back to 1903 with Arkansas and a 50 game series history with LSU dating to back 1899. We have no history with any Big 8 school that even remotely approaches those numbers even after 11 seasons in the same conference with them.

[This message has been edited by TGCGT (edited 5/6/2007 2:38p).]
LSU A&M
did I mention eyecandy?

you got that right. yall see the girls of the SEC playboy? LSU, Auburn, Florida is the real deal
LSU A&M
College Station is geographically the Southeastern most town in the Big 12

good point, the geographically Southeastern most town in the Pac-10 should play in the SEC too then. all im saying is A&M wouldn't win 3 games in the SEC.
Davy_Crockett
AG
We had no problem beating your kittys on a regular basis at the time you all wussed out.

Somehow I doubt it will be possible to have a reasonable discussion with someone who is unable to discern geographical difference between College Station, TX and Tempe, AZ.
LSU A&M2
oh goodness, here we go. lets talk about what happened in the early 1900's. why don't we live in the present and talk about who has a better football team/athletic program today. or if you want we can even go back a few years. but lets not talk about the days before the forward pass.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
Actually, it happened in the late 1900's. 1995 to be exact. Y'all welshed out of the series, and submitted USL as an "equal" replacement. Anyway, enough about that.

And to say that Arkansas is in the "Southeast" is a laugh. Fayetteville, Arkansas is closer to OSU, OU, KU, KSU, and MU than it is to any SEC school. TAMU is more "Southeast" than U of Ark.

The bottom line is that A&M is a Southern school both culturally and geographically. We don't fit in with the old Big 8 schools. In addition, if the SEC were to swap Arkansas for us, they'd get the DFW and Houston tv markets. It's all about $$, and we bring that to the table. In '94 when the SWC imploded, who did the SEC want? And who was the SEC trying to lure when they took Arkansas in '89? (You can't tell me that the SEC really wanted Arkansas) We all know the answer to that.
Davy_Crockett
AG
LSU A&M2 -
Your snapshot in time (the Franchione era) provides a no more valid sample for use as a predictor of future performance than the Archer/Hallman/Dinardo eras. I am looking at the whole picture which spans from the past and beyond the present to the future.

I believe LSU will decline under Les Miles from where it was under Saban. It won’t be rapid because there is still a lot of talent there but it is happening. He failed to win his division last season with the most talented team in the country IMO. There are too many other better coaches in the SEC like Tuberville, Meyer and Saban who will beat him consistently.

I wouldn’t expect LSU to care much for the idea of losing their status as the SEC program closest to the fertile recruiting grounds of Texas. Perhaps the kittys fear the idea of an SEC alternative for recruits in the state of Texas.
LSU A&M2
do yall think that A&M joining the SEC will ever happen? maybe for arkansas like mentioned.
LSU A&M2
i didn't come here to talk trash. sorry if i came off that way. truth is i like A&M and work with a few, being a petroleum engineer. LSU, UT, and A&M make up most of the industry so there is a friendly (sometimes not so friendly) rivalry. i was just interested if yall knew something about A&M joining the SEC i didnt.

[This message has been edited by LSU A&M2 (edited 5/6/2007 5:24p).]
Davy_Crockett
AG
I doubt that anyone seriously thinks a move is impending. As I stated previously -- it’s just offseason conference BS. So you can play along or not.

Why would Arkansas have to leave. Just add A&M in the West and Louisville in the East. Louisville and Kentucky are already each others biggest rival anyway and A&M’s history with LSU and Arkansas has been posted.

The 12 game schedule still leaves room for 3-4 nonconference games. 6 division games/3 interdivision games/3 nonconference games or 6 division games/2 interdivision games/4 nonconference games.

We can still play tu at the end of the season just like Florida/FSU and Georgia/Ga Tech. On ABC in Austin at some ridiculously early morning hour one year and on CBS in College Station at a more reasonable time of day the next year.

[This message has been edited by TGCGT (edited 5/6/2007 5:40p).]

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.