Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

I need the SMU pic

52,862 Views | 130 Replies | Last: 18 yr ago by Roger Kint
12atm
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hell, that's a great picture. I have a feeling that some that post on this board would have much rather watched our beloved corp getting trampled by cheer leaders. Grow a pair, at least he had the balls to take a stand.
Aggie Spirit
AG
Keegan was barely out of diapers when this happened. He seems willing to accept only one account of something he has no 1st hand knowledge of.

Greg Hood was dismissed from the Corps of Cadets and suspended for the remainder of the Fall '81 semester. It wasn't because SMU cheerleaders are a bunch of big bad bullies. It was because of his poor decisions including INITIATING PHYSICAL CONTACT and pulling out his sabre.
Street Fighter
AG
quote:
beloved corp getting trampled by cheer leaders. Grow a pair, at least he had the balls to take a stand.

Trampled by cheerleaders, please. And if he had the "balls" to take a stand, he would not have pulled the damn saber even if it was just for effect.
MasterAggie
AG
He should have run the ******* through! End of story!

JW
AG
Myself and all the other Aggies I know think it is a joke that he pulled the sabre. The incident is still used today by the media and others to shed a bad light on A&M. I hope we have moved past these types of actions as a school, but apparently some have not.
FAST FRED
AG
Aggie Spirit, I don't remember any physical contact at all until one SMU cheerleader pushed the OD over another SMU cheerleader who was kneeling unseen behind him.

In fact, I don't remember any physical contact from the OD at all; although he was ready to hit a cheerleader, if he could have caught one after he got up.

Then, when several cheerleaders circled around him and one of them tried to get down behind him again for another pushover, he made the huge mistake of drawing his saber.

I don't remember him swinging or thrusting it, he seemed to be more in a solo defensive stance with several male and female SMU cheerleaders circled around and taunting him.

He should NEVER have drawn the saber, but he was not unprovoked.

The SMU cheerleaders were the ones who went from heated discussion to physical belittlement of the OD, who thought he was doing his duty getting them off the field, and they had ample opportunity to back off themselves.

Someone in unquestioned authority from either side needed to intervene much quicker than they did.

The OD deserved to be punished for his bad saber-drawing reaction/decision, but there was PLENTY of blame to go around for ALL the participants AND THOSE IN AUTHORITY over them.

This is how I remember seeing it and I formed this memory/opinion at the time it happened.

I haven't embellished it or rethought it or changed it to favor one side over the other.

I also think the poop scooper was wrong to throw cr*p at the tu band and he deserved punishment too.

But he wasn't unprovoked either, the longhorn band and fans did try to spook the cavalry horses and they were taunting the scooper, while band directors and cheerleader sponsors stood by and watched.

I wish we would just leave the poop on their area of the track for them to deal with unless they ask us to remove it and appreciate that we do it.

More courtesy between athletic rivals and more supervision from those with authority would have gone a long way to migitgate both incidents and can prevent other ones in the future.

I won't enjoy college football as much if the visiting bands don't travel and perform at the away games, but apparently (according to NCAA committee recommendations that may soon be adopted) this could increasingly be the case in the future.

Gig 'em, FAST FRED '65.

Before the world wide web, village idiots usually stayed in their own village.

[This message has been edited by FAST FRED (edited 2/13/2006 12:56p).]
mazag08
AG
we should repeat this incident at every t+1 game. dirty sips
Aggie Spirit
AG
Fred,

The 1st thing Greg did after he walked onto the field was kick the cheerleader lying in front of him. They were busy ignoring him and spelling out SMU until the kicking started. Perhaps you couldn't see that sitting with the Dead Elephants on the West side. From the second deck of the East side, I didn't miss it.

[This message has been edited by Aggie Spirit (edited 2/13/2006 1:50p).]
OrmyIllus
quote:
I for one would like to shake that gentleman's hand. He did the right thing. To hell with the PC crap. There are alot of things that make Kyle intimidating...

whoop, SeaAg!

Ormy R.I.P
Street Fighter
AG
quote:
who thought he was doing his duty getting them off the field

That's the problem. It was NOT his duty. Any sane person can realize that. I equate this to some dumb ass BQ assaulting an sb for cutting the drill field in the middle of the day. Some people are just incapable of using sound judgment, or are too compulsive to think rationally in an emotional state.
64Tiger
Serenity Now
The question remains. Why in world would he need a saber to fight a cheerleader for crying out loud. Or even two, three or four cheerleaders for that matter.
agz win
AG
I was there looking directly over into the situation from one of the first rows of the east side second deck and I feel fairly certain I recall what happened.

I do not recall Greg kicking anyone.

All of the pony cheerleaders were spelling out the letters, not just the four males as Fred posted.

There was indeed attitude coming from their cheerleaders, team and fans -- they were the red raiders of that time period with better rankings and better looking women.

Greg drew his sword after being pushed over in an attempt to "herd" the cheerleaders off the field.

The cheerleaders were informed prior to the game to not go on the field and do their usual spelling out of letters.

Staying off the field was more strictly pursued back then than now and OD's did assist with that.

Greg had to be punished, although both sides were at fault and used poor judgement.

I would like to shake Greg's hand for his good bull and the vast majority of Aggies there would do so as well.
TK03
I can't believe this hasn't been touched on yet -

Did he Uncover first? What is the proper Uncover etiquette for such a situation?
mtjoy
I'm just glad Keegan wasn't there. He would have shot the cheerleader rather than risk a whuppin. I'm sure THAT would have helped A&M's reputation.
Señor Chang
AG
How in the world can you criticize him for standing up for himself and trying to stop the smu cheerleaders from breaking the rules they were made aware of. He was standing up for himself and his school. Maybe he shouldn't have pulled out the saber, but when your adrenaline gets going, it shuts down your rational thinking and you act on impulse and emotion. He was standing up to some cheerboys trying to make a mockery of our rules. All you liberals who are going off on him need to grow a pair.

[This message has been edited by blake2007 (edited 2/13/2006 3:17p).]
Southlake
Greg Hood was from my outfit, Gator 2. I was his ASL when I was a pisshead. (Prolly all my fault)

He was a very poor cadet with poor judgement. Really an accident waiting to happen.

He shoulda never had a sabre in the first place.

Kinda like giving scissors to a 4 year old.
mtjoy
no, people who would rather stab someone than fight him need to grow a pair.
TK03
quote:
How in the world can you criticize him for standing up for himself

He pulled out a toy sword. If he would have charged in throwing punches, this wouldn't be talked about 20 years later - that wasn't as bizarre.

Once again, what is the proper Uncover etiquette for such a situation?
German Village Aggie
quote:
All you liberals who are going off on him need to grow a pair.

Now I've seen it all. Blake2007, are you that ignorant or just extremely uneducated. I'm amazed everyday at SOME of the students that are accepted into A&M and are graduates. I might expect a stupid comment like that from a misguided freshman, but not from a junior.

First of all, its not the corps guys responsibility to keep the cheerleaders off the field. Second of all, its very embarrassing when stupid stuff like this gets taken to a media level. Third of all, liberalism or conservatism has nothing to do with whether one argues for or against what he did. I'm a conservative and strongly disapprove of Hood's actions.

Sometimes, I wonder if people think before they open their mouths.

Finally, group think is a beotch.

[This message has been edited by German Village Aggie (edited 2/13/2006 4:57p).]
M D Meridius
"just as what Charles Whitman did from the tower doesn't stand for teasips and tu"

I don't hear anyone from any school debating the absolute wrongness of this action, hence the analogy falls flat.

"How in the world can you criticize him "

Simple. The most potent weapon one has, and that which truly makes him a man, is his brain. GH, by resorting too quickly to a less powerful and less appropriate weapon, has given generations of prospective haters ammunition against A&M. Pictures of him will do little to discourage the populace from amusing themselves with "Aggie jokes" or to set an example for future Ags of how to exercise greater maturity than an SMU clown.

The uniform one wears represents more than one's self, and the saber should mark one as a leader. A leader of men, not a child in need of greater supervision or an adolescent panicked by the annoying pranks (e.g., two-man trip) of cheerleaders.

Those arrogant SMU folks got theirs when the NCAA folded their tent for them. Saying that they were disrespectful and annoying is redundant and irrelevant to whether the response to them was measured. Inherent in a criticism of another institution's lack of a standard of behavior is the implication that one has something better to offer. Complaining about SMU but excusing GH rings hollow. (Yes, I know, many here have noted that both behavde innapropraitely)

This incident happened long ago but the intermittent debate it still awakens shows that it still touches on at least two major schools of thought. I happen to take exception to the notion that a senior officer-in-training ought to feel the need to draw a (dress) weapon in response to getting pushed around and mocked by cheerleaders, while not far from thousands upon thousands of known allies no less.
TAZ99
AG
I don't blame the cheerleaders for being mad. Didn't that happen right after Buckley made "The Hit" on that poor SMU receiver?
Archimedes
quote:
I don't blame the cheerleaders for being mad. Didn't that happen right after Buckley made "The Hit" on that poor SMU receiver?

Well, one of three isn't bad ....

Got Buckley right ...
Team was TCU ...
Decade was the 90's (91?) not the 80's

[This message has been edited by Archimedes (edited 2/13/2006 5:17p).]
Bracy
I was a freshman when the saber incident occurred and was standing on ground level not more than 30 yards away from the people involved. My memory of the event is somewhat hazy -- heck, this was 25 years ago -- but I distinctly remember the SMU cheerleader giving Hood a rather violent shove to the ground. I remember Hood falling backwards, and doing a complete backflip, then standing up, drawing his saber, and approaching the SMU cheerleader.

I don't recall Hood kicking anybody. Maybe I missed it, maybe it never happened, I just don't recall.

I don't recall him swinging the saber at the cheerleader. Not saying he did or he didn't, I just don't remember him doing so.

Question for some of you lawyer-types: If he didnt swing the saber, is this still considered "assault with a deadly weapon?"

[This message has been edited by Bracy (edited 2/13/2006 7:35p).]
Maegnas Is My Name
quote:
I also found what that pisshead did with the horse crap was funny

please don't pull out that hyprocritcal stuff it just makes us look bad.

i'm sure your attitude would be the same if a sip from the hellgaysers threw a bunch of shhit at a&m fans.

regardless of whether our fans were "verbally harassing" him or not, i'm sure we'd all be pissed at it.

"Maegnas is my name. I am the spider's bane."

[This message has been edited by Maegnas Is My Name (edited 2/13/2006 7:24p).]
foot2bevoface
why did you bring this thread back?
Bulltastic
Hey! I watched a movie that was a little like this last night..."the sum of all fears."

Dubag who started this thread is like the bad guys who stole the Nuclear weapon and detonated it in the United States so he could drop out of sight only to start a war between Russia (Keegan) and the United States (the wanna be attorney dude)or switch roles if you want to Keegan cuz I sure wouldn't want to piss you off!

Keegan...a dull saber would probably hurt just as bad as a sharp one...and attorney dude...who really cares about the Texas Penal code if you are impaled with a dull saber?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.