Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Reports: OU fires OC Seth Littrell

5,847 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 10 hrs ago by 88Warrior
Davidtheag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
JDCAG (NOT Colin) said:

SteveA said:

"Not sec ready" you guys crack me up. OU, prior to the coaching fiasco, was the only school from the big 12, including us, that would be favored to compete here. They are down right now, sure. But get off of your high horse. You act like they didn't beat us like step children damn near every year.

The difference is that when A&M got to the SEC we had JFF and a roster that actually was somewhat ready to compete. It led to success, which led to $$$$ pouring in, which led to facility upgrades all of which brought our program to places it hadn't been (talking everything OFF the field).

I've said this before, but anyone that compares pre-2012 A&M to post-2012 A&M is being dishonest at worst, uninformed at best.

Prior to that year, we would lose most of the recruits we wanted to tu and OU. We would fight with schools like BU, TT, Okie lite, ISU, etc. for recruits. So every year, we'd have 2-3 kids tu might want, 3-5 OU might want, and about 17-20 that neither pushed for a ton.

When was the last time we were battling those types of schools (tt, bu, osu) for kids that wasn't a random one off like Micah Hudson? Those schools are just not in the same recruiting pools that we are playing in now.

If this was 2010, then you'd probably see half of our roster spread out across tu & ou. tu has managed to build okay for the last few years, but OU hasn't - they're just not that good, talent wise. With Rileys offense, they managed to typically get really good offensive talent there, but even that has fallen off now that he's gone.

All that to say, whether or not OU teams that consistently had top 5 talent in the 2000s consistently beat A&M teams with top 25-ish talent really has no impact on what is happening today. Neither of those schools like like that from a talent perspective any longer.

And that is a huge problem for OU.
That's absolutely true. From 1999 till the end of both t.u. and OU tenure in the Big 12, OU had only t.u. to compete against for 4 and 5 star recruits; A&M was almost an non-entity during that time and our record pretty much reflects that. We were barely over 0.500 during the 00's, and we went from 2000 till 2009 not being ranked at the end of the season.

OU and t.u were rarely outside the top 10 nationally during the that time, but now both schools will experience that you might be in the top 10 and there could be 5 or 6 SEC schools ahead of you. Recalibrate you expectations a little, right? Now, our expectations were a little distorted after Johnny Football (Please see Kenny Trill), but I think we've been around the block in this league to manage our expectations.
At least I think we have. You can recruit in the top 10 year in and out and still only manage an 8-4/9-3 record (See please see Texas A&M, Auburn, LSU, Florida). OU hasn't had experienced that; t.u. has had more of that in the last 13 seasons.

But now that they are in the SEC and with the advent of NIL, OU really hasn't prepared themselves for the financial costs that it will take to attract the top talent in the sport. Their collectives better start opening their check books soon, or they will be going the way of Nebraska faster than they think. Personally, after the infamous 2003 0-77 game, I have absolutely not pity for their program, alumni, or t-shirt fans.

AgLA06
AG
JDCAG (NOT Colin) said:

SteveA said:

"Not sec ready" you guys crack me up. OU, prior to the coaching fiasco, was the only school from the big 12, including us, that would be favored to compete here. They are down right now, sure. But get off of your high horse. You act like they didn't beat us like step children damn near every year.

The difference is that when A&M got to the SEC we had JFF and a roster that actually was somewhat ready to compete. It led to success, which led to $$$$ pouring in, which led to facility upgrades all of which brought our program to places it hadn't been (talking everything OFF the field).

I've said this before, but anyone that compares pre-2012 A&M to post-2012 A&M is being dishonest at worst, uninformed at best.

Prior to that year, we would lose most of the recruits we wanted to tu and OU. We would fight with schools like BU, TT, Okie lite, ISU, etc. for recruits. So every year, we'd have 2-3 kids tu might want, 3-5 OU might want, and about 17-20 that neither pushed for a ton.

When was the last time we were battling those types of schools (tt, bu, osu) for kids that wasn't a random one off like Micah Hudson? Those schools are just not in the same recruiting pools that we are playing in now.

If this was 2010, then you'd probably see half of our roster spread out across tu & ou. tu has managed to build okay for the last few years, but OU hasn't - they're just not that good, talent wise. With Rileys offense, they managed to typically get really good offensive talent there, but even that has fallen off now that he's gone.

All that to say, whether or not OU teams that consistently had top 5 talent in the 2000s consistently beat A&M teams with top 25-ish talent really has no impact on what is happening today. Neither of those schools like like that from a talent perspective any longer.

And that is a huge problem for OU.
Its an ever changing / shifting game.

It wasn't that way in the 1990s. Things shifted with a bad A&M AD that screwed Slocum and put us in a bad position to compete for recruits.

I honestly think that at any given time there are enough regional recruits for 3 of A&M, tu, OU, and LSU to be good at the same time. The move to the SEC (and a high powered offense led by a star that was both loved and hated) shifted that back to our way. Both tu and OU suffered, but their desperation to follow us left an opening for them. OU can't capitalize. tu is the unknown. What they do down the stretch will determine that.

What I do know is we have the opportunity this year to be the cream that rises to the top of the 4 teams. Hopefully this is the year we make it happen.
TheBonifaceOption
Most of CFB is surprised to know they had an OC
AgLA06
AG
TheBonifaceOption said:

That's not really fair. I don't wish their QB, WR, or injury situation on anyone.

Except tu and maybe LSU.
OKC~Ag
AgLA06 said:

TheBonifaceOption said:

That's not really fair. I don't wish their QB, WR, or injury situation on anyone.

Except tu and maybe LSU.
And bama, Tennessee, GA... ole miss
ms state, arky, FL
and Aburn, almost there...

not injury but just bad chaos...and bad luck
SteveA
AG
Quote:

What's their record against SEC schools in the last 10 years?

We obliterated them in 2012, and some of our worst teams probably beat some of their best from the last decade.
Their record vs SEC schools is a stupid point, seeing how they are generally against only the top SEC teams in bowl games. But since you asked, their record is very, very good.
https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/oklahomas-recent-history-vs-sec-checkered-with-impressive-wins-devastating-losses/
With more wins than losses.
We obliterated them in 2012 with the best team the history of our program. It was great. Again, they are down right now, so let's stick it to em while we can, but they are a good coach away from contention.
In reply to
AG
I glanced at the score on the bottom ticker, not really paying attention, assuming OU had won on Saturday - until the highlights came on. Texas is playing well, but both teams are finding out how ruthless the SEC can be.
greg.w.h
AG
The deck chairs on the Titanic didn't shuffle themselves…
Aggie Dad 26
4 said:

Randy Rhodes said:

Not gonna help

Yeah, not gonna change anything

They need a QB that can actually throw a football

And 5 healthy receivers
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
South Carolina throttled Oklahoma 35-9 in Norman to hand Oklahoma their worst home loss since a 48-14 loss to Baylor on 11/8/2014. Oklahoma might not even reach bowl eligibility because they will probably be double-digit underdogs in their remaining SEC games against Ole Miss, Missouri, Alabama, and LSU. A home game against FCS Maine on 11/2 is the remaining game Oklahoma is favored to win. That would mean a 5-7 (1-7 SEC) finish and either 14th or 15th in the SEC. Oklahoma's best hope for even reaching bowl eligibility is winning a road game at Missouri on 11/9. Only Mississippi State and Auburn have winless SEC records.

Oklahoma finished 10-3 (7-2 Big 12) last year because they had Dillion Gabriel, who is now Oregon's quarterback. Even with offensive coordinator Jeff Lebby, Brent Venables went 6-7 (3-6 Big 12) in his first year in 2022, including a very embarrassing 49-0 loss to Texas. Brent Venables has not proven to be SEC or even Power 4 head coaching material. Venables fired offensive coordinator Seth Littrell to save his job. I think he will be back on next year.

According to USA TODAY Sports' database of college football coaches' salaries, it would cost Oklahoma $44.8 million to get out of Venables' contract as of December 2024. It's the 10th-largest buyout among FBS head coaches.

https://sports.yahoo.com/brent-venables-absurd-buyout-means-182620215.html
88Warrior
SteveA said:

Quote:

We obliterated them in 2012, and some of our worst teams probably beat some of their best from the last decade.
Their record vs SEC schools is a stupid point, seeing how they are generally against only the top SEC teams in bowl games. But since you asked, their record is very, very good.
https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/oklahomas-recent-history-vs-sec-checkered-with-impressive-wins-devastating-losses/
We obliterated them in 2012 with the best team the history of our program. It was great. Again, they are down right now, so let's stick it to em while we can, but they are a good coach away from contention.

There's a big difference in playing a SEC school here and there as opposed to running the gauntlet week after week….imho..
Heineken-Ashi
88Warrior said:

SteveA said:

Quote:

There's a big difference in playing a SEC school here and there as opposed to running the gauntlet week after week….imho..
Shhh.. he still thinks they'd be undefeated if they had their 5 mediocre WR's who are injured because they beat.. checks notes.. UH (with the help of the refs), Tulane, Temple, and 2-win Auburn.

Just let him think he's right while the years move on and he comes to the realization that he misses playing team's full of 3-stars instead of languishing in mediocre land.
SteveA
AG
I don't think that. I've already said that they are down and that they were demolished by the coaching change and subsequent transfers. You guys also said it was a dumpster fire 18 months ago, yet we were the ones firing our coach again. I'm just sayin, don't write them off just yet.
rootube
AG
There's no getting around it. OU looks like the worst team in the SEC right now. The crazy part is that they have not played the toughest part of the schedule yet. Their remaining schedule is:

Ole Miss - Loss
Maine - Win
Missouri - Loss
Bama - Loss
LSU - Loss

88Warrior
SteveA said:

I don't think that. I've already said that they are down and that they were demolished by the coaching change and subsequent transfers. You guys also said it was a dumpster fire 18 months ago, yet we were the ones firing our coach again. I'm just sayin, don't write them off just yet.

Living in Tulsa I've learned more about OU than I care to…I just don't see them ever getting back to where they once were…They just don't have the $$ that a lot of the top SEC schools do. They will need money to build the depth required in a long SEC schedule…I see them being a middle of the pack school with an occasional run at a conference championship a'la Auburn…
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.