Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Reports: OU fires OC Seth Littrell

5,836 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 10 hrs ago by 88Warrior
TXAGGIES
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Dumpster fire
NICU Dad
AG
Panic move by Venables because he's next on the chopping block.
halfastros81
AG
Wasn't his previous OC Ms State's 1st yr head coach . That guy is good . Knows how to use what he has . It took him half a season to figure it out but State has improved rapidly from their early suckage.
Randy Rhodes
Not gonna help
Timberwolf
AG
I'm sure there are a ton of Sooners that are thinking to themselves that their Austin buddies in this deal screwed them
AG
Randy Rhodes said:

Not gonna help

Yeah, not gonna change anything

They need a QB that can actually throw a football
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
seth litrell isn't the problem. OU wasn't sec ready. they don't look like sec teams. and the sec while bending over backwards to help texas with scheduling they totally screwed OU. they have already played tennessee, texas, south carolina and they have ole miss, LSU, bama, and mizzou left. a lot of teams struggle with that schedule.
AustinAg2K
Doesn't really matter. Venables is gone after the season. I'm guessing they make a move for Heupel, but I'm not sure OU is really more desirable than Tennessee.
83Aggie
AG
Venables is a one dimensional coach. He could get away with it in the Big 12....not so much now.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Kraft Punk
AustinAg2K said:

Doesn't really matter. Venables is gone after the season. I'm guessing they make a move for Heupel, but I'm not sure OU is really more desirable than Tennessee.

Heupel hates okie... stoops burned him

My guess is they go after lebby
Bill Superman
AG
Timberwolf said:

I'm sure there are a ton of Sooners that are thinking to themselves that their Austin buddies in this deal screwed them
boomer has to go through the humiliation ritual to join the bigs. Sip on the other hand bought their way in and got handed the keys.
Pumpkinhead
AG
AustinAg2K said:

Usually firing assistants gives the HC another season at his one 'get out of jail' card. I think he's back next year.
74AnimalA
AG
halfastros81 said:

Wasn't his previous OC Ms State's 1st yr head coach . That guy is good . Knows how to use what he has . It took him half a season to figure it out but State has improved rapidly from their early suckage.
Yea, and last year he also had the current Oregon QB.

OU has lost a lot of players due to injury, but wow
Divining Rod
isn't it nice to be talking about OTHER schools' coaching problems in the middle of a season?
ElephantRider
AG
AustinAg2K said:

Not even close, IMO. Tennessee is a much better job these days. OU is about to be a perennial basement dweller
SteveA
AG
"Not sec ready" you guys crack me up. OU, prior to the coaching fiasco, was the only school from the big 12, including us, that would be favored to compete here. They are down right now, sure. But get off of your high horse. You act like they didn't beat us like step children damn near every year.
Logos Stick
ElephantRider said:

AustinAg2K said:

Not even close, IMO. Tennessee is a much better job these days. OU is about to be a perennial basement dweller

But for some reason they can draw north Texas kids. I'll never understand it.
Sterling82
I always thought Venebles would demonstrate the Peter principle. He's actually done better than I expected but this year, there's nowhere to hide. I just hope they keep him around a couple more years while Elko gets more established. A dynamic coach at OU isn't a good thing.
TAMUallen
AG
Logos Stick said:

ElephantRider said:

AustinAg2K said:

$$$
Hill08
Tu has played some great teams…
Ag Tag
ElephantRider said:

AustinAg2K said:

Another Nebraska?
St Hedwig Aggie
AG
Although I would much rather have the sips be going through what Oklahoma is going through… I'll admit it's kind of enjoyable watching them come into the SEC and get smoked
Heineken-Ashi
SteveA said:

"Not sec ready" you guys crack me up. OU, prior to the coaching fiasco, was the only school from the big 12, including us, that would be favored to compete here. They are down right now, sure. But get off of your high horse. You act like they didn't beat us like step children damn near every year.
Lol

What's their record against SEC schools in the last 10 years?

We obliterated them in 2012, and some of our worst teams probably beat some of their best from the last decade.
Turf96
St Hedwig Aggie said:

Although I would much rather have the sips be going through what Oklahoma is going through… I'll admit it's kind of enjoyable watching them come into the SEC and get smoked

Even better to have OU wake up and see Texas has been their master for years and they are just now seeing it. Texas needs to just be like ND and go independent. That way conferences can move forwards and not have to take care of the ******ed little brother in Austin.
YouBet
AG
AustinAg2K said:

Yeah, I don't think OU is even comparable to Tennessee at this point.

Also, OU is $1B in debt. They are f'ed all the way around as a school going forward.
HeyAbbott
AG
Venables isn't head coaching material
The Banned
Logos Stick said:

ElephantRider said:

AustinAg2K said:

A mix of OU grads/Oklahoma natives, kids who just hate Texas but don't wanna go to A&M and proximity to home. Oh, and they won a lot in a crap conference, giving them post season opportunities.

The latter will change rapidly. I've said multiple times I think they'll go full Nebraska. Sure, some DFW kids will continue to be pulled there, but the best ones won't want to go to a school that can't compete. I'm sure they'll have a couple of major NIL years where they give it a run, but overall I don't think they can hang.
OKC~Ag
Logos Stick said:

ElephantRider said:

AustinAg2K said:

probably, for players...it is closer to ou/norman than Austin or CS/A&M from DFW

for regular students, can't get in /accepted to A&M or texas... well what are you gonna do? ou may give you in state rate if you are half decent HS student...
Gilligan
AG
Venerables is a DC and only a DC.

OU and Venerables just have to come to this same conclusion.
Stone44
AG
OKC~Ag said:

Logos Stick said:

ElephantRider said:

AustinAg2K said:

probably, for players...it is closer to ou/norman than Austin or CS/A&M from DFW

for regular students, can't get in /accepted to A&M or texas... well what are you gonna do? ou may give you in state rate if you are half decent HS student...

This. Oklahoma and Oklahoma State are recruiting regular students from Texas who can't get into A&M or tu .Alabama, Tennessee, and Ole Miss are doing it as well. Some of the kids in my neighborhood are going out of state to these schools because they cannot get into A&M.Their parents tell me that each of the schools are dropping the out-of-state tuition expense and actually giving scholarships to above average students here because they need more qualified students then their states can provide.
IslanderAg04
Heupel may get a big bag of cash soon.
Marooned1994
Arky does this as well.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
SteveA said:

The difference is that when A&M got to the SEC we had JFF and a roster that actually was somewhat ready to compete. It led to success, which led to $$$$ pouring in, which led to facility upgrades all of which brought our program to places it hadn't been (talking everything OFF the field).

I've said this before, but anyone that compares pre-2012 A&M to post-2012 A&M is being dishonest at worst, uninformed at best.

Prior to that year, we would lose most of the recruits we wanted to tu and OU. We would fight with schools like BU, TT, Okie lite, ISU, etc. for recruits. So every year, we'd have 2-3 kids tu might want, 3-5 OU might want, and about 17-20 that neither pushed for a ton.

When was the last time we were battling those types of schools (tt, bu, osu) for kids that wasn't a random one off like Micah Hudson? Those schools are just not in the same recruiting pools that we are playing in now.

If this was 2010, then you'd probably see half of our roster spread out across tu & ou. tu has managed to build okay for the last few years, but OU hasn't - they're just not that good, talent wise. With Rileys offense, they managed to typically get really good offensive talent there, but even that has fallen off now that he's gone.

All that to say, whether or not OU teams that consistently had top 5 talent in the 2000s consistently beat A&M teams with top 25-ish talent really has no impact on what is happening today. Neither of those schools like like that from a talent perspective any longer.

And that is a huge problem for OU.
DGrimesAg92
LMAO!! They think it was the OC....
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.