Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

First Look at LSU

8,475 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by Aggie Dad 26
AggieRinger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
After watching some tape on LSU I think we have a very good chance of exploiting some of their offensive issues. Against Arkansas, for example, They ran a lot of comeback hitch routes to the outside which Nussmeier is very good at throwing. What immediately jumps off the tape is the excellent arm strength. Nussmeier can also deliver the ball from just about any angle including side arm passes from time to time. When Arkansas played soft coverage, LSU went to the hitch route almost every time for a quick 7 to 9 yards. If the corner misses a tackle, it could go for 30 very quickly. When they weren't passing it quickly to the outside, they ran the ball between the tackles from a spread formation. Nussmeier never pulled on the zone read. He is not an effective runner.

Their offensive line was able to overpower teams and gain yards up the middle. A&M is in a very good position to play man coverage and handle this running threat. Mississippi State's offense was very similar to what I saw from LSU. They prefer to run out of a spread or hit quick passes.

I think with our defensive line, we should be able to handle the run and play man coverage with two deep safeties to prevent something over the top. Coaching this week should be a matter of showing them the game tape from the second half and saying we need that the whole game vs LSU.

Look for our ability to stop the run early in the game between the tackles as a sign that the A&M defense will be effective or struggle.

Knowing coach Elko's penchant for third down, I'm expecting us to disguise man coverage as a 3-deep zone and back off coverage prompting LSU to run a hitch route and we may get a pick six off of something like this in the second or third quarter. Nussmeier trusts his arm to get the ball to the hashes and that may be something of which we can take advantage.

Defensively LSU was able to get pressure on the quarterback consistently when they were in obvious passing situations. They have quality pass rushers on the outside. However, I'm not convinced that they will be able to easily handle our offensive line and running backs. I like our chances against them in third and five or less. They can also be somewhat undisciplined in their pass rush, allowing Connor to escape and create off schedule.

LSU is a quality team but absolutely beatable by this A&M team. If you're looking at LSU and their future schedule thinking that they could have a spot in the playoffs you should absolutely be thinking the same thing about A&M.

I don't think our team has to be perfect, but if we have our "B" game or better we should be in it in the fourth quarter. Our "A" game beats them by 14.

AG
Great post, OP
92aginSC
e=mc2
AG
Nice. We need to establish a run game early. We also need to help CW out by targeting our TEs more.
HeyAbbott
AG
The biggest keys will be 1) can the A&M offense move the ball with enough consistency to keep the LSU offense off the field, 2) can we establish an effective enough running game vs LSU, 3) can we at least break even or win the penalties and turnovers battle and 4) can the A&M defense minimize the big plays of LSU's offense.
TAMU74
AG
Conner can't be on his B game.
2 interceptions and we probably lose.
Ags get 2 TO's and we probably win.
Million
This game will be won or lost by which Connor shows up. If Missouri Connor shows up, we win. If notre dame or Mississippi state Connor shows up, we lose.
vander54
S
100% agree
World's worst proofreader
polander ag81
Our D-Line got banged up a bit late in the game yesterday. Will they be full strength against LSU?
vander54
S
Million said:

This game will be won or lost by which Connor shows up. If Missouri Connor shows up, we win. If notre dame or Mississippi state Connor shows up, we lose.

I don't think Mississippi State was that bad but if he plays like that it will be a very tough game. If he plays like Missouri then we should win comfortably. If he plays like ND then.we better hope or defense steps up big time.
NoahAg
I'm less worried about LSU than SC. I actually think we beat LSU something like 31-17 but lose at SC. Auburn won't be easy either.
Million
vander54 said:

Million said:

I don't think Mississippi State was that bad but if he plays like that it will be a very tough game. If he plays like Missouri then we should win comfortably. If he plays like ND then.we better hope or defense steps up big time.

Miss state dropped two or three interceptions last night that I would expect a more talented lsu team to capitalize on.
rootube
AG
I wonder if their assessment of our game tape is that if Weigman throws it directly to the LSU DB's be ready and catch it.
Ag1188
AG
e=mc2 said:

Nice. We need to establish a run game early. We also need to help CW out by targeting our TEs more.
Arkansas run-game got shut down by LSU. Miss St kind of shut down our run-game. Hope we have a backup plan.
90ags
LSU has a better OL, WR corps and QB (experienced) than MS St. MS St freshman QB threw for 3 TDs and over 240 yards and really only his psuedo 3rd game of his career (don't know if he was starter vs. tu, but know he played).

Not sure where the thought that we can play man all game (or most of the game) and do well vs. LSU. We didn't do it 'well' vs. MS St. Extremely dependent on pass rush of our DL (if 4 can get there), make him feel 'uncomfortable' and try to mix up the looks on Nestle head.

Will see what the injury reports bears this week too.
______________________________________________________ Play for the name on the front of your jersey, not the back...
Ag1188
AG
NoahAg said:

I'm less worried about LSU than SC. I actually think we beat LSU something like 31-17 but lose at SC. Auburn won't be easy either.
no. LSU is the only one with a gunslinger QB, and the best QB usually wins the game if equal OL protection.

South Carolina only had 250 yards in their blowout win yesterday. Their QB is a true freshman. They're not remotely as big of a threat as LSU, who can drop 500 yards of offense on any given day and are loaded with talent despite some injuries.
90ags
Definitely assessing that when CW is hurried, he doesn't progress quickly on reads, tends to force the ball when pressure and throws off back foot too often.
______________________________________________________ Play for the name on the front of your jersey, not the back...
AgLA06
AG
90ags said:

LSU has a better OL, WR corps and QB (experienced)

They have a better Oline, similar WR, absolutely not on QB.

vander54
S
Ag1188 said:

e=mc2 said:

Arkansas run-game got shut down by LSU. Miss St kind of shut down our run-game. Hope we have a backup plan.

Pretty sure Moss wasn't 100% he looked to be limping a lot.
Bryanisbest
AG
Million said:

But but, CW was injured vs ND. You can't count that one.
LatinAggie1997
AG
e=mc2 said:

I continue to believe Elko/Klein have not used our TE packages as much for these specific games.
Use what works but hold back a dozen plays for tough conference match-ups. Plays that have not been used yet and that have wrinkles to use again later.
Tee-Dyl
Saying CW is better than Nussmier is an absolute joke.
halfastros81
AG
This seems like a very even matchup to me. We get Mizzou Weigman we have a good chance to win, we get Ms St/Notre Dame Weigman we don't
79TAMU79
AG
It also will depend on which Weigman shows up - Missouri Weigman (we win) or ND/MSU Weigman (we lose)?

What the Heck? halfastros81 stole my post?
halfastros81
AG
Great minds
halfastros81
AG
Based on what tigger?

Nussmeir has been good but not consistent. Weigman pretty much the same.
czar_iv
AG
halfastros81 said:

This seems like a very even matchup to me. We get Mizzou Weigman we have a good chance to win, we get Ms St/Notre Dame Weigman we don't
I agree, but I think we have a better defense. If we just don't get ND Weigman, Ags win!
"Can I Ask What Exactly Is An Aggie? Sure! An Aggie is quite simply the best thing anyone can strive to be!" - Sydney Colson
Maroon Flash
AG
Need to be patient and pound the freaking rock. Absolutely must avoid getting into a track meet with LSU.
Maroon Flash
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
We show up, we win, we take home their girlfriends, we make them raise our children.
Ian Neff
AG
I miss the old days - back when a team had a bad record it meant they stunk.
magnolia tiger
Pick a stat

https://www.espn.com/college-football/stats/player/_/view/offense/group/8/table/passing/sort/passingTouchdowns/dir/desc
AGDAD14
The Fightin' Texas Aggies are playing a game at Kyle Field to take the driver seat in the SEC race going into the home stretch. What more could you ask for? It's there for the taking!

I don't remember a bigger A&M game in the last 15-20 years.

They need to do whatever it takes to win. It ain't going to be pretty. Moss needs to be 100%, CW needs to play his best, no drops by WR, a dominate run stopping defense, and a suffocating pass rush. And most of all the game plan and game management better be excellent. That's all!

BTHO LSU!!!
PA24
AG
Connor reminds me of an old Dallas QB named Danny White. Have no idea who is going to show up.
If he is on, easy win.
Tee-Dyl
I shouldn't even have to argue this point. For one CW has thrown more interceptions this season than he has touchdowns. He's been around for 3 years. If he was great he would have separated himself at this point.

Nussmier on the other hand is in game 7 as a starter and is in the top 2 or 3 in essentially all of the passing stat categories. Sure Weigman has the potential to play lights out and win on Saturday. But to say A&M has the QB advantage going into this game is ignorant.
OKC~Ag
our D has to have A game and keep Nussmeier in check...

Nussmeier is now top QB in SEC...

CW has to play his best game for us win...

LSU may be the best team left on the schedule
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.