Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Moffitt Consensus?

6,675 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by ahpetty33
dcg4403
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've heard directly from Elko that Moffitt is responsible for setting the culture of the team. He spends more time with the players than any other coach. Great! I assumed Moffitt was going to create some animals on the D-Line.

Then we all watch our own players, dropping on the field in the 3rd and 4th. Not just any field. Kyle Field. They practice and scrimmage in this heat and this was supposedly an advantage against ND. We saw the difference in the last 6 minutes of the game. No denying it. ND was better conditioned. I saw a few Moffitt comments immediately after the game but decided to lay low and keep my emotions in check.

So I just watched the ND vs NIU game highlights. ND craps the bed. NIU looked just as athletic and honestly more powerful than ND overall. So this got me thinking about Moffitt.

Seems a legit concern I know his history is quite impressive. I also know that Weig hopefully had the worst game we will ever see in the A&M uniform.

Having said that, just not very impressed with the strength and power of our defensive line or LBs even. McNeese was able to run quite easily. Shouldn't our players be tossing them to the side and stuffing the run? After seeing NIU's DL freaking harass and blow past the ND's OL, I really question the strength and condition of our players. Hopefully, this is complete nonsense and we start seeing those physical differences against Florida. But 2 game into the season, hope Moffitt has something up his sleeve for the long game.
Maroon Flash
AG
Let it play out a little longer and watch what we do in SEC. If we had just kept handing off the ball we would have won even with terrible qb play.

So far OL looks improved.
Maroon Flash
LB12Diamond
AG
Wow

You really outdid yourself making a nothing burger thread. I'll give you a D minus for effort.
1991sir
My IQ dropped a little after reading this….
Frydaddy713
AG
Just look at injuries this year vs last couple of seasons, or look at the number of injuries on the injury report for the Florida game for us vs the gators.
BrotherChad2
Strength & Conditioning seems to be a gimmick and a scam...at least for US.

Doesn't matter who the S&C coach is, nor the season...we have neither strength nor conditioning!

Edit: Exception 2012
lagoag
News flash to OP. ND played a true trap game against NIU. They came to CS on national TV and even being the higher rated team they were not favored to win. Would you not consider that maybe they took NIU a little lightly.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
I love how every thread on here is an attempt to declare the Elko era a complete and total failure after two games even though one of them was over well before halftime.

Don't go changing zoo.
BrotherChad2
I love how in life and in the working world Microcosm = Macrocosm.

But when it tries to get applied to football, somehow y'all want to protect certain personalties even after the data shows who they truly are. Funny how that works.

Wouldn't give Stoops or Traylor the time of day but THIS is your guy somehow?!

We made our own bed, now we have to lie in it.

And guess what? I truly hope I'm wrong about Elko. But that remains to be seen.
agchugger
AG
We've finally come full circle to where the S&C coach being the source of pride to the source of ire. And it only took 2 games!!! The life of an average Texags user is complete!!! Our once beloved S&C coach is loved no more due to loss of a game.
OBJTEX
dcg4403 said:

I've heard directly from Elko that Moffitt is responsible for setting the culture of the team. He spends more time with the players than any other coach. Great! I assumed Moffitt was going to create some animals on the D-Line.

Then we all watch our own players, dropping on the field in the 3rd and 4th. Not just any field. Kyle Field. They practice and scrimmage in this heat and this was supposedly an advantage against ND. We saw the difference in the last 6 minutes of the game. No denying it. ND was better conditioned. I saw a few Moffitt comments immediately after the game but decided to lay low and keep my emotions in check.

So I just watched the ND vs NIU game highlights. ND craps the bed. NIU looked just as athletic and honestly more powerful than ND overall. So this got me thinking about Moffitt.

Seems a legit concern I know his history is quite impressive. I also know that Weig hopefully had the worst game we will ever see in the A&M uniform.

Having said that, just not very impressed with the strength and power of our defensive line or LBs even. McNeese was able to run quite easily. Shouldn't our players be tossing them to the side and stuffing the run? After seeing NIU's DL freaking harass and blow past the ND's OL, I really question the strength and condition of our players. Hopefully, this is complete nonsense and we start seeing those physical differences against Florida. But 2 game into the season, hope Moffitt has something up his sleeve for the long game.

Its early. Takes time. All of that said, EVERY fanbase thinks thier SC coach is a bad ass. And very few are.

Odds are he is as much smoke and mirrors at the rest. But we shall see.
Logos Stick
Emilio Fantastico said:

I love how every thread on here is an attempt to declare the Elko era a complete and total failure after two games even though one of them was over well before halftime.

Don't go changing zoo.

Well, it certainly hasn't started off with a bang. Worst QB play in a loooong time. Defense gassed and dropping like flies while ND seemed fresh and healthy. I don't recall seeing a single ND player drop. Perhaps I misremember?! One bright side: penalties were not too bad on our side, we only had 6. Heck, we would have had 6 penalties in the first half with Jimbo with OL movement!
Haleyscomet50
I don't know enough about it to make a educated guess. But I thought strange when he was hired some posters hated it. While others posters said it was the best things since sliced bread. I'm still left confused by it all.
dcg4403
AG
Maroon Flash said:

Let it play out a little longer and watch what we do in SEC. If we had just kept handing off the ball we would have won even with terrible qb play.

So far OL looks improved.

Yes, agree and no one is really talking about that. Just whining about how awful our QB is......took just one single game and halve the fan base is hating. Kinda shameful if you ask me. NIL football with NIL fans.
dcg4403
AG
Emilio Fantastico said:

Don't go changing zoo.

Funny, you really read into this thread incorrectly. Where was a mention of Elko and being a horrible HC?

I am a hater for having valid, logical observations? Guess so!

Simply a question about if others are truly concerned about Moffitt being less than advertised.

At the end of the day, this still doesnt prevent this team and staff from being above average.

Just replacing Moffitt in the future, does impact Elko's overall approach at creating a consistently good Top 10 team. He is either a major step ahead or behind IMO.

I believe in Elko. I believe this team will end up being considered one of the better SEC teams this season (top 5). Except our fan base will still revolt, Weig hate, and say Elko was a failure in Year 1. Why? Unrealistic Year 1 goals. And the fans set themselves up.

I was there during many of the Jimbo years of false hope. Life is a lot better with few expectations considering the history of A&M football. And remembering this is just a GAME played with a ball. My dog also loves those games....
LB12Diamond
AG
"Logical observations"

Why am I not surprised you actually think this. As George Constanza noted:

"Is it a lie if you believe it."

Your post just looks like a childish rant bc the team that beat us got beat the next week.
ahpetty33
AG
Very few injuries to speak of so far. Also, any defense will get run down when their offense can't stay on the field over the course of a game and gives away multiple turnovers. Not a conditioning issue, IMO
big red dog
dcg4403 said:

Do you write for MSNBC also?
Fquin
AG
Notre Dames defense was on the field 8 plays more than ours and still held up better. Please find a new excuse for our defense's failure. This excuse has become tired and invalid.
ahpetty33
AG
Fquin said:

Notre Dames defense was on the field 8 plays more than ours and still held up better. Please find a new excuse for our defense's failure. This excuse has become tired and invalid.

Yes, and I'm sure their defense was just as tired from being hung out to dry all game. But our offense was inept to take advantage. Blaming the S&C instead of our new offensive coordinator and conners horrible performance doesn't fit for me
alexandertheok
During the Notre Dame game I remember only two guys going down. The first was the center (who tore his ACL), the second was another defender with a cramp. Considering how long those guys were on the field I think that's progress?
StinkyPinky
AG
This would make an excellent satire site. Unfortunately people are dead serious.
tk for tu juan
greg.w.h
AG
StinkyPinky said:

This would make an excellent satire site. Unfortunately people are dead serious.
Speak for yourself…
Whaler
AG
I agree the S&C coach plays a large role in attitude, mental toughness, and physical development of the players. No question. But I don't think the S&C coach is responsible for the culture of the team. The whole staff is responsible for that.

I expect Moffitt is a top tier S&C coach, and I'm glad we have him -- no worries there.

I'm more inclined to think our DL was over-rated based on practice against our OL, which hasn't been very good the last 2-3 years. The OL is likely a little better this year, but we'll see -- I doubt our OL is in the top 25% of the SEC. I was disappointed in our DL against Notre Dame for sure, but it could've also been something to do with scheme, etc. Other's on here would know much more about that part of it.
"Son, you've obviously been concentrating too much on one subject!" -- Shelby Metcalf to a basketball player upon reviewing his official grade report containing one "D" and the rest "F's"
greg.w.h
AG
I doubt a single six month cycle will deliver all the benefits we imagine. The key is whether we are winning when the going get s tough. Not yet…
TX_Aggie37
AG
dcg4403 said:

McNeese ran for 52 yards against our first team defense at 4.3 yards per carry, propped up by one 26 yard run. I don't believe you can disregard that play, but the idea that they ran the ball quite easily is simply not true.

Our front has been and will be fine if they can clean up the issues the lead to the big runs that pop. They absolutely influenced the game against ND and caused chaos most of the night. Just because things didn't show up on the stat sheet doesn't mean they aren't there.

The defensive front is the least of my worries with this team.
halfastros81
AG
Having a good S & C program is necessary but not sufficient to compete at the highest level imo. Look at LSU in Moffit's time there. They were always pretty good but they were great when they had top flight players at the skill positions .
GigEmReggie
It's possible LSU was crazy athletic mostly bc of the crazy athletic Louisiana gene pool and TM had little to do with it. Classic nature v. nurture problem.
Ag in ATL
AG
QB play is not on Moffitt.
Offensive play calling is not on Moffitt.
Defensive scheme is not on Moffitt.
Substitution patterns are not on Moffitt.
Whatever culture change is on Moffitt cannot be established in one offseason, one camp, and two games.
geoag58
AG
Either the team is less injury prone, more conditioned and stronger than they were before Moffitt came on board or they are not. The jury is still out on that one because I am not seeing a noticeable difference.

What I have seen in this thread is all the right pigs are squealing. OP you definitely hit a nerve!
Fight against the dictatorship of the federal bureaucracy!
Emilio Fantastico
AG
dcg4403 said:

Emilio Fantastico said:

Don't go changing zoo.

Funny, you really read into this thread incorrectly. Where was a mention of Elko and being a horrible HC?

I am a hater for having valid, logical observations? Guess so!

Simply a question about if others are truly concerned about Moffitt being less than advertised.

At the end of the day, this still doesnt prevent this team and staff from being above average.

Just replacing Moffitt in the future, does impact Elko's overall approach at creating a consistently good Top 10 team. He is either a major step ahead or behind IMO.

I believe in Elko. I believe this team will end up being considered one of the better SEC teams this season (top 5). Except our fan base will still revolt, Weig hate, and say Elko was a failure in Year 1. Why? Unrealistic Year 1 goals. And the fans set themselves up.

I was there during many of the Jimbo years of false hope. Life is a lot better with few expectations considering the history of A&M football. And remembering this is just a GAME played with a ball. My dog also loves those games....
I didn't read into your thread incorrectly. You are basically insinuating the hire of Moffitt was a failure and it was an Elko hire. I never said anyone said Elko was a horrible HC. But there have been a multitude of threads and posters on threads already saying they've seen enough to KNOW that Elko will be a failure here.

All I'm saying is that that is typical zoo behavior and that you need more than one bad first game where you have a new coaching staff and over 30 new players to determine the long term success or failure of the Elko era.
donaurelius
AG
I took a look at a reddit post from r/CFB back when Tommy Moffitt was fired from LSU. A common sentiment among the LSU fans responding to the post was that for the last 5 years of his tenure and especially the 2 years after the championship, there was a noticeable difference in player conditioning and the number of injuries. Something to note is that this aligns with the time that two of the younger coaches from the strength staff left for other roles. Maybe he has lost his edge, but it's a little too early to tell right now. We will see how the team shows up against Florida.
Agsttt
dcg4403 said:

That seems like it should be something posted in December, not after the equivalent of 1.5 games.
Chetos
AG
Dudes are constantly dropping plates in weight room. Someone is going to get hurt. Moffitt needs to go.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.