Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

What does it take to bench a QB at halftime?

4,424 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by LtDan
Rod92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Because I am a glutton for punishment, I went back and watched the first half against Notre Dame again. I counted six times that the receiver was open and the throw was uncatchable. 2 of those were INTs of course. Also there is at least one or two bad reads where the ball is thrown into traffic and should not have been placed there.

The six bad throws...if completed....would have been in the ballpark of 50 to 60 more yards passing in the first half. Drives would have been extended, etc.

Instead, the six bad throws in the first half was about the same number of total completions in the first half by Weigman. So for every good throw in the first half there was one bad throw in the first half. 1 or 2 bad reads. 2 INTs.

Seems to me what would have made sense is to go into halftime and make adjustments and give weigman one series in the second half and see if he does better. If not put somebody else in that will at least give us average quarterback play to give us a chance to win the ball game. Doesn't matter to me if it is Henderson or Reed. Heck, flip a coin. I don't care.

If we have just average quarterback play there's a good probability win that game.

Also for the record, I saw Weigman get pressured 4 or so times in the first half but only one time looked like a real OL breakdown. The others were blitzes where Notre Dame had the numbers.

Still shaking my head that we didn't use TEs to try to cause mismatches......and the lack of RPOs.....and the lack of designed QB runs to try to help Weigman get it going

That was a winnable ball game.

Rod92
...and I don't buy into trying to preserve QBs confidence.

Saban benched Milroe last year and Milroe got it together.

I remember Leech sitting Graham Harrell for a couple of series in a ball game back in the day. Told him to go sit down and calm down....then he went back in and won the ball game.

Don't coddle these guys...and throw away a big-time game.
Ol Rock
AG
I was begging coaches put Henderson in late in the 2nd quarter or at the latest in the second drive of the third, just to shake things up.

Do you know what shakes a QB more than losing the starting position? Losing. And we lost so poorly. Weigman looked completely lost for about 3 quarters. How fans could see what coaches couldn't is frustrating.
C@LAg
What does it take to bench a QB at halftime?

1. A quarterback

2. A bench

3. A halftime.

HTH
Maroon Flash
AG
It was clear even to people in china watching. What we were doing was not working.

Should have put Reed in. If he couldn't move team put Henderson in. If Henderson couldn't move team put Weigman back in and hope he has his **** together after sitting on bench.

Weigman looked like a really ****ty HS QB out there.

We better be spending this week getting option 2 ready.
Maroon Flash
LB12Diamond
AG
Going to steal a line from Nikki Glaser.

Even Gronk knew! (In Frankenstein voice.)

"Me know that QB no good!"
Kraft Punk
It takes a good coach
RoadkillBBQ
In hindsight I bet Elko realizes that he might should have pulled him. That's easy to say though after you know the entire result. I'd imagine we see a decent amount of playing time from #2 vs McNeese and that Weigman is on a short leash. If he continues to struggle with fundamentals he'll lose his starting job.
AggieZUUL
AG
That card trick really affected Weigman.
maroongoon95
AG
It's Texas A&M football. We don't bench the QB until game 9
aginresearch
AG
I don't know but it appears that FSU doesn't know either. Perhaps, and I'm just spitballing here, it's not as clear cut as posters on the zoo think it is.

Having said that I think that Weigman's leash is going to get a lot shorter in the next two games.
Krautag81
In college, if your passing game breaks down the quarterback has to run and not backwards.
Don Powell
I know what causes a coach to not bench a bad QB. It's the alternatives being worse.
UltimateSuperGenius
"What does it take to bench a QB at halftime?"

If being violently ill and puking (while missing open receivers) doesn't lead to benching a QB, then nothing will lead to benching a QB.
Southlake
Cajones.

Elko has none.

Start Reed Saturday and he gets one back…
PLUM LOCO
AG
Graduation/use all eligibility
Sweating BulletS
AggieZUUL said:

That card trick really affected Weigman.
Maybe the magician made Weigman's brain disappear for a few hours.
Aggie Dad 26
Kraft Punk said:

It takes a good coach

This

A coach with a sack
TyperWoods
Being behind
DelValAg
An attorney
Eso si, Que es
Under the previous leadership, it took a leg injury to bench a quarterback, usually happened before half time
TexAgs23
NM
GigEmReggie
Most coaches are vaginas about this because a bad move can really backfire if the team isn't down with their leader being replaced. And QB controversies in the middle of seasons are distracting and annoying.
45-70Ag
AG
What does he make through nil? At some point, the money they make gets factored in
Bobaloo
It is an interesting question. Coaches make changes regularly at every position but QB. The coaches do watch all QBs at practice daily. I think Saturday was an aberration and Connor rebounds the rest of the year.
Buford T. Justice
AG
Switch at halftime? It's over for your program.
Switch during the week leading up to the game? That's the better option. But once you switch, that's it.
Cheyenne Bodie
Rod92 said:

Still shaking my head that we didn't use TEs to try to cause mismatches......and the lack of RPOs.....and the lack of designed QB runs to try to help Weigman get it going.
I agree with the rest, but I don't think having designed runs for Weigman is the way to go, at least if the goal is to get him going and keep him in the game.

This is, frankly, one of the biggest coaching/personnel mismatches, despite Klein saying he adapts to personnel. He seems very much to want to rely on a legitimate running threat at QB and, well, Weigman isn't the best fit for that, imo.
geoag58
AG
Buford T. Justice said:

Switch at halftime? It's over for your program.
Switch during the week leading up to the game? That's the better option. But once you switch, that's it.

**except for Saban. It is unpossible in any. other. situation!

Just because Sumlin did such a piss poor job managing quarterbacks at Texas A&M doesn't mean it can't be done.
Fight against the dictatorship of the federal bureaucracy!
halfastros81
AG
Good upper body strength ? how many reps are we talking about?
Kozmozag
It shows what Elko/Klein think of our other two qbs.
74AnimalA
AG
An Injury!!!

You pull your starter in the 1st inning after a walk and a fielders choice error? Score is still 0-0.

If you HAVE a clear starter in Fall Camp you have made your decision

What's the old sayin?
If You Have 2 QB's, You have None.
Bellards Boys
Steve Spurrier
BB's
tk111
AG
Most ironic part is that whenever a starting QB for the team playing against us goes down, their backup blows us out of the water because we don't know what to do about him
W
AG
in the 1992 season opener vs. Stanford...

R.C. changed QB's 3 times to get the win

starter Granger to Miller

then Miller to Pullig

then Pullig back to Granger

A&M won 10-7 and punted 13 times
StinkyPinky
AG
Bobaloo said:

It is an interesting question. Coaches make changes regularly at every position but QB. The coaches do watch all QBs at practice daily. I think Saturday was an aberration and Connor rebounds the rest of the year.
I'm going with this. This will be the biggest bi-polar experience in Aggie history. Start designing the statue now!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.