Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

What does it take to bench a QB at halftime?

4,482 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 13 days ago by LtDan
maroonthrunthru
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Nick Saban and an SEC Championship game…

That's what it takes…
TAMU74
AG
At half time Coach Elko and Klein had to know something was wrong very wrong with Conner.
Miraculously we were still in the game at that point.
If Elko had the courage to start either Reed or Henderson I think there's a good chance we would've won the game.
What does it take to bench quarterback?
A coach with courage to make a change when the game is on the line.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
maroonthrunthru said:

That's what it takes…

Bama was down 13-0 and had a 5 star stud on the bench (with a roster full of 5 star offensive weapons).

We were tied 6-6, 13-13.

If Bama doesn't generate multiple touchdowns, they lose.

We just needed to hold up on defense and get a good play/drive.

I'm not saying you shouldn't pull Weigman, but this isn't the easy "Nick Saban did" choice you guys pretend it to be.

Wicked Good Ag
It takes being behind and stagnant to make a change like that

We were stagnant...it wasnt a good performance by Weigman at all. I think most agree with that but we were still tied late into 4th quarter with a top 10 team. You could argue illness to make the change but I dont think many coaches will bench the QB1 in that situation
LB12Diamond
AG
JDCAG (NOT Colin) said:

maroonthrunthru said:

That's what it takes…

Bama was down 13-0 and had a 5 star stud on the bench (with a roster full of 5 star offensive weapons).

We were tied 6-6, 13-13.

I'm not saying you shouldn't pull Weigman, but this isn't the easy "Nick Saban did" choice you guys pretend it to be.

Exactly

First game, tied with 6 mins left.

Everyone stating it was an easy decision has the benefit of knowing the outcome.

Sabin in a similar situation just last year did not change QBs in a game very early in the season they ended up losing.
WolfCall
AG
Quote:

What does it take to bench a QB at halftime?
Putt a clause in the contract that no QB can start the second half if they have had an abysmal performance in the first half.
Aggie Dad 26
JDCAG (NOT Colin) said:

maroonthrunthru said:

That's what it takes…

We were tied 6-6, 13-13.

You realize how terrible he played the entire game? He wasn't generating any offense. He averaged 25 yards passing per quarter!
You pull him. It's simple.

Many of you are over thinking things and giving excuses.

Just because the score was close, tied, whatever means nothing. His interceptions, missing guys on short throws in a game where the play calling was extremely conservative is all you should need to see and know to make the conclusion that he needed to be pulled.
greg.w.h
AG
Fans insisted on paying Jimbo $77 million to find out Elko makes the same decisions?
bowhuntr
You would think they could see his footwork and realize he is 'off'. It happens in every sport to the best of players. Pull him out, let him reset the next week in practice and give him another shot. Or, tell him to take a series off and go do some footwork drills on the sideline - perhaps some exaggerated movements or something. Tell him he's going back in. There are a number of ways this could have been handled.

Every golfer has a day where he has to ask his caddie - "what am I doing wrong?" And it's something glaringly obvious but they can't see it.

LtDan
AG
Buford T. Justice said:

Switch at halftime? It's over for your program.
Switch during the week leading up to the game? That's the better option. But once you switch, that's it.
why is it over if you switch at halftime?
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.