Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Why are we even debating who should be the starting qb?

7,881 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by TopoTacos
McKinney Ag69
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The guy went 12/30, 2 INTS, and 0tds. He stared down his receivers, and couldn't hit a simple pass in the flats to his running back that a jv qb could complete. It was pathetic.

He's clearly not the guy and the fans, and Aggie pundits are debating whether they think the coaches should give him another shot. I don't see any upside here and the coaches are just throwing away the season if they continue to play him. He's had one good win vs. LSU two years ago and that was before his injury. The rest of his wins have been stat padding against cupcakes. Time for Reed or Henderson to play. They both looked pretty good when they got time last year .

Would Bama, Georgia, or LSU fans and coaches be for giving their qb another chance with that performance at home vs. a top ten team in a game that was for the taking? I think we all know the answer and that is why this program will remain mediocre. It feels like our fans live in some insane dream world where they don't believe what their eyes see during The game and what the stats clearly tell them. It was one of the worst qb performances of all time by an A&M Qb in prime time on national television to an average notre dame team.

What hurts is that notre dame team is not any good and would get worked if they played in a conference. They wouldn't beat Tenn, Bama, Georgia, tu, OU, or ole miss but they'll cruise to the playoff because of their marshmallow schedule. We just tell ourselves they are elite to make us feel better, but they are Miami last year.
Maroon Flash
AG
I am very pissed that we didn't send someone else out by mid-third quarter. That was Jimbo style coaching malpractice.

Elko declared Weigman starter extremely early in process. Yes having to replace Weigman would have embarrassed Elko but a great Coach is driven to win and no one is untouchable.
Maroon Flash
Artimus Gordon
AG
After that crapstain performance on Kyle field, he needs to be demoted to QB #3 and work his way up in practice.

It's going to be hard to even watch the guy now. I have zero confidence in his abilities. And that he is nothing more than a liability to the team.
agINbj2000
He is an absolute liability

Let others play
HoustonAggie37713
The truth is that he will start because he was a 5 star. If he wasn't, he wouldn't have been the starter this year in the first place.
LB12Diamond
AG
I guess you did not hear. It was just bad footwork. We are bringing in Footloose Kevin Bacon to remedy this issue.

All joking aside. Elko said all that but he used words like think, probably, etc. He even kind of made a snide remark about the few plays he set his feet properly. I have no doubt in closed doors with Klein he told him, we need our back up ready to go against the Gators.
Agvet12
AG
The sad reality is NIL plays a huge factor in who starts now…..

That said, I suspect UF is the ripcord game if he doesn't improve
Al Bula
AG
He will likely suck for a few more games, get benched, transfer to ole miss and light it up.
Logos Stick
You know what's even more concerning....

the fact that Elko chose him to start.

I think we've got a long three years ahead of us with Elko at the helm.
Logos Stick
LB12Diamond said:

I guess you did not hear. It was just bad footwork. We are bringing in Footloose Kevin Bacon to remedy this issue.

That's funny!
OKC~Ag
you all will feel better when we put up 50 point on hapless opponent this week.

In all seriousness, ND sucks and yes, they are not elite. Their QB played better than CW but not much better...

Not sure why the coaching decision process is so calcified ...why not be dynamic and adjust

Elko only loyalty is to win...If your process is not working, change so you give yourself chance to win.

Elko lost golden opportunity get a way

Brother Shamus
Looks like we are going to get Jimbo part2.
Zackdh9
AG
Are you calling for a backup HB because Moss let 2-3 of those passes to the flat bounce off his hands? because he failed to run his out route to first down depth? maybe check yourself
Flashdiaz
AG
Weigman will start against McNeese and put up decent numbers.
Henderson and\or Reed will both see play time in the second half.

Weigman will start the Miami Florida game but if he starts to struggle, next QB is up.
redjalapeno-87
There is already a player rotation at running back. All 3 played.
Blitz88
AG
Flashdiaz said:

Weigman will start the Miami game but if he starts to struggle, next QB is up.
Did someone recently adjust the schedule because Florida is our game #3
halfastros81
AG
OP's question is a good one since we have no say in it.
lagoag
We don't play Miami. But I get what you're saying. It wouldn't bother me if CW continues to have footwork problems and Elko turns to either Henderson or Reed early in the McNeese game.
joe crombie
I hope we have a quick hook for mcneese or at least let backups play second half. You don't have a performance that bad unless you are a flat out terrible player or something else is going on.

That was not just a bad performance, it was abnormally bad. It is a huge red flag.
Ozamataz Buckshank 01
AG
The great unknown is the backup quarterback. The reality is that Henderson was not highly recruited amd transferred from a losing Fresno State program.

Reed completed only 54% of his passes in high school. He will be lucky to eclipse 50% as a starter his first year. With him, expect a loaded box daring him to throw.
"You can't grade the success of a CEO by how likeable he is."
Brother Shamus
Blitz88 said:

Flashdiaz said:

Weigman will start the Miami game but if he starts to struggle, next QB is up.
Did someone recently adjust the schedule because Florida is our game #3

That must be where Tim Brady played.
Krautag81
Footworks arse, a great quarterback adjusts and overcomes.
Flashdiaz
AG
lagoag said:

We don't play Miami. But I get what you're saying. It wouldn't bother me if CW continues to have footwork problems and Elko turns to either Henderson or Reed early in the McNeese game.
you are correct. Florida.

Same thought applies though. It will be very telling if Weigman continues to struggle and how long it takes Elko\Klein to pull him.
It would be in everyone's best interest to give QB2\QB3 some reps.
jsc8116
AG
Yeah, when Elko said "footwork" was the reason for the bad QB play, I said here we go again. That was a very Jimboesque excuse.

I wouldn't however be surprised though for Weigman to be ruled out the morning of the McNeese game due to illness or some other vague injury to get other QBs snaps.
Jarrin' Jay
AG
Henderson is NOT an unknown. His game in Baton Rouge last season tells me he is a playmaker and a fierce competitor that would have won us 8-10 games last season if he was the QB instead of Max Johnson when we had to go to QB2.

Conner has all the measurables and can make all the throws. But he doesn't look like he did as a true FR. vs. Ole Miss and LSU, for some reason.

Win or lose, team game, but if Conner doesn't show up and play well vs. FL his time as QB1 will be over.
halfastros81
AG
If we aren't getting other QB's reps vs McNeese it is much worse than I ever imagined. There's a world of difference between ND's defense and McNeese's defense.
Magneto
AG
Footwork?

Someone on here said you learn that in high school

Seems like when you are a starter in a massive program, you already learned the main fundamentals of being a QB? That's like saying we hired this lawn mower but he forgot how to weed eat…….
Sky7
Maroon Flash said:

I am very pissed that we didn't send someone else out by mid-third quarter. That was Jimbo style coaching malpractice.

Elko declared Weigman starter extremely early in process. Yes having to replace Weigman would have embarrassed Elko but a great Coach is driven to win and no one is untouchable.

I had the same reaction but then wondered if Reed and Henderson got enough practice reps in last week to be able to handle game situations. This would have been a big deciding factor to put them in. Regardless, I think either Reed or Henderson would have provided some positive spark to the offence.
DavidAg02
Weigman has large NIL deal with a private company. It makes our whole NIL program look bad it he doesn't play.
McKinney Ag69
AG
DavidAg02 said:

Weigman has large NIL deal with a private company. It makes our whole NIL program look bad it he doesn't play.

WGAS? The object is to win f***ing games, not make our NIL program look the best. We've lost sight of what's important if this is the case
Buzzkill
Ozamataz Buckshank 01 said:

The great unknown is the backup quarterback. The reality is that Henderson was not highly recruited amd transferred from a losing Fresno State program.

Reed completed only 54% of his passes in high school. He will be lucky to eclipse 50% as a starter his first year. With him, expect a loaded box daring him to throw.

High school? What are you blathering on about? He literally played for us last season.
LB12Diamond
AG
DavidAg02 said:

LOL, read what you just stated.

"It makes our whole NIL program look bad if he doesn't play!"

Let me help you

If he plays like he did last week, we lose games. Winning and losing games is all that matters.
Zackdh9
AG
You're missing the point.

Quote:

and couldn't hit a simple pass in the flats to his running back that a jv qb could complete
The point is there were several plays in the game that could been very positive if balls were caught or routes were better. Crucially the shallow route from Moss on 3rd down. But all the criticism is landing on the QB like in the quote above. And I dont think you pull a player automatically just because they made a mistake or had a negative play. They are likely still the best player overall.
antman8504
AG
Ozamataz Buckshank 01 said:

Do you even watch us play? Henderson played 2 games against SEC teams last year and looked pretty good. Yet, he is an unknown?

Some of yall really just need to stop participating in the conversation...
annie88
AG
Maroon Flash said:

I still don't understand this either. He could've tried Reed or Henderson if it didn't work, they could always put Connor back in. I will never understand this stubbornness in a coach. It was clear whatever it was, footwork or him just being off it was not working. I will never understand why coaches put one player, the quarterback over the whole team, the fans everything.

If anything benching a starter will just make him want to try even harder. I have to be honest I expected more from Elko.

That said, let's just move on from here, we can still have a great season and maybe Connor will get his **** together. But I would hope he's on a short leash now.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.