Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Why are we even debating who should be the starting qb?

7,995 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by TopoTacos
marcbarnett
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This is the stupidest thread ive seen on this website today
12thMan9
AG
marcbarnett said:

It's still early.
jrdaustin
AG
My prediction is that we'll see three quarterbacks on Saturday, all three will look spectacular against an inferior opponent, and we won't know any more than we did before the game started.

The issue will rear its head again when we face a defense with a pulse.

ETA: The one caveat that I'll add (and kind of hope to see), is that Reed or Henderson demonstrate unequivocally that they are a better fit for Klein's scheme. Nothing against CW at all, but he's at his core a protypical drop-back pro-style qb trying to adjust to an OC who historically has utilized a more mobile dual threat qb in his scheme. We have two of those that have seen playing time on the roster.
turboboost
AG
Al Bula said:

He will likely suck for a few more games, get benched, transfer to ole miss and light it up.
That right there is about spot on. I'm here for the pain! I'm an Aggie fan, nothing can hurt me.
AGDAD14
Debating it because we only get to see half the story. We don't get to see practice. That's what reporters are for… they get to see the rest of the story and report to the fans!

Aggie reporters only tell the full story after the fact. I know , I know, they have to stay in the good graces of the coach and school. But come on man, haven't they heard of leaking the story. And as long as Texags is involved with Texas Aggies United, reporting isn't going to get any better.

BTHO McNeese… and tu forever!!!
WC94
AG
Because he was top 10 in QBR last year before getting hurt. I still think he was sick or hungover. He gets another shot.
4everags84
Still think if we Weigman turns it around he can get the fans back. So many people are already writing us off until the tu game this year!
Stat Monitor Repairman
You can't be Johnny if you ain't Johnny.
DavidAg02
LB12Diamond said:

DavidAg02 said:

Weigman has large NIL deal with a private company. It makes our whole NIL program look bad it he doesn't play.

LOL, read what you just stated.

"It makes our whole NIL program look bad if he doesn't play!"

Let me help you

If he plays like he did last week, we lose games. Winning and losing games is all that matters.

I agree with you... I'm just pointing out that there is more to it than just "let the best player play." There's big money involved, and I'm sure the coaches have to consider that when they are deciding who plays and who doesn't.
LincolnBorglum79
AG
What a mess. Play the best player you have at every position to win as many as you can. These same WRs were open last year vs LSU and our backups were completing passes.

We will have a bad year if we don't throw for 250-300 yards every game. There is enough talent on our roster if the coaches can figure out who to play when.

At least the Texans are worthy of all of my football attention if the Texas Aggies let us down.
aglaes
AG
LincolnBorglum79 said:

What a mess. Play the best player you have at every position to win as many as you can. These same WRs were open last year vs LSU and our backups were completing passes.

We will have a bad year if we don't throw for 250-300 yards every game. There is enough talent on our roster if the coaches can figure out who to play when.

At least the Texans are worthy of all of my football attention if the Texas Aggies let us down.

LSU's pass defense was one of the worst in all of FBS last year. ND's was one of the best and they have the same players back this year.
Maroon Dawn
AG
AGDAD14 said:

Debating it because we only get to see half the story. We don't get to see practice. That's what reporters are for… they get to see the rest of the story and report to the fans!

Aggie reporters only tell the full story after the fact. I know , I know, they have to stay in the good graces of the coach and school. But come on man, haven't they heard of leaking the story. And as long as Texags is involved with Texas Aggies United, reporting isn't going to get any better.

BTHO McNeese… and tu forever!!!

Honestly it sounds like he's great in practice where he know he can't get hurt (or at least not intentionally) but when it's game time and he's facing a real defense that wants to smash him, he gets scared and freaks out and complete even a single pass because he's so worried about getting hurt again

I'm sorry if that's case but we need a QB whose good in live fire and not just a sharpshooter at the range
Kozmozag
Henderson may have the same problem, coming off a injury.
jsc8116
AG
While both had injuries, would argue not remotely the same mentally or physical. Weigman had a broken anklen which required several screws when Henderson had a break of non throwing arm.
Sq 17
12thMan9 said:

marcbarnett said:

It's still early.

& you aren't looking very hard if this is the worst you've seen
Txhuntr
AG
Is everyone here too young to remember Sumlin pulling the rip cord in the middle of game 1 with Kyle Allen? Then going back to him, then going back away from him. Ultimately losing two 5 star qbs that went on to play in the NFL?

Losing last Saturday sucked. I think and definitely hope Connor would be the first to tell you he stunk it up out there. But are we really ready to completely give up on our highly rated qb after 1 game where he faced one of the best Ds we'll see when the kid hasn't played in a game in almost a full year?
Gyles Marrett
So you bench your clear starting QB coming into the season bc 1 bad game? lol ok. We are the most overreaction fanbase in the country.
beerad12man
AG
The NIL thing being the reason he's starting is next level stupidity and conspiracy theory. Just a bunch of baseless rumors that some online ran with. No, that's not why he is starting.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
Conner Weigman has been just average against Power 4 teams. He is 5-4 as a starter but just 2-4 against Power 4 teams. If we exclude our home win over Auburn in which he left with a left ankle injury in the 2nd quarter, he is just 1-4 in games against Power 4 teams that he started and finished.

At South Carolina (30-24 loss): didn't start, 8/15, 91 passing yards, 0 touchdowns, and 0 interceptions
Ole Miss (31-28 loss): 28/44, 338 passing yards, 4 touchdowns, and 0 interceptions
At Auburn (13-10 loss) 14/36, 121 passing yards, 1 touchdown, and 0 interceptions
LSU (38-23 win): 12/18, 155 passing yards, 2 touchdowns, and 0 interceptions

At Miami (48-33 loss): 31/53, 336 passing yards, 2 touchdowns, and 2 interceptions
Auburn (27-10 win): 8/14, 70 passing yards, 0 touchdowns, and 0 interceptions before injuring his left ankle in the 2nd quarter.

Notre Dame (23-13 loss): 12/30 100 passing yards, 0 touchdowns, and 2 interceptions.

Statistically, Conner Weigman had his best performance against Power 4 teams during his freshman year with 7 touchdowns against 0 interceptions in 3 SEC games. Since his sophomore year, he has thrown 2 touchdowns against 4 interceptions in 3 games against Power 4 opponents, and he had his collegiate career worst performance against Notre Dame. Yes, Notre Dame's defense is tough, but 13 points is the fewest we have scored at home since a 26-10 home loss to Auburn on 11/7/15. Nevertheless, I think Weigman will start tomorrow. Because this game should be a blowout by halftime, he shouldn't play much in the 2nd half. Jaylen Henderson and Marcel Reed should split reps in the 2nd half.

The road game at Florida will be a good litmus test for Weigman. Florida has lost 6 consecutive games, including 3 consecutive home games, and 24 of their last 34 games against Power 4 teams, dating back to a 37-34 home loss to LSU on 12/12/20. This is a must win road game because a loss at Florida would extend our road losing streak to 11 games, our road win drought past 3 years before our next true road game at Mississippi State, and our losing streak against Power 4 teams to 4 games.

We have a 10-game road losing streak with 5 different starting quarterbacks, and 4 of them have have multiple road losses. Jimbo Fisher ended his tenure with 9 consecutive road losses, and the 10th straight road loss was under interim head coach Elijah Robinson.

2021: 2 road losses at Ole Miss and LSU (Zach Calzada)

2022: 4 road losses at Mississippi State (Max Johnson); Alabama and South Carolina (Haynes King); and Auburn (Conner Weigman)

2023: 4 road losses at Miami (Conner Weigman); Tennessee and Ole Miss (Max Johnson); and Jaylen Henderson (LSU)

The only remaining starting quarterbacks from that road losing streak are Weigman and Henderson. Hopefully, Weigman can lead us to a road win at Florida to snap a 10-game road losing streak at Florida. This would be our first true road win since a 35-14 rout at Missouri on 10/16/21.
Texaspainter
AG
marcbarnett said:

the ND game clearly broke Texags.......
Rebbasser
AG
jsc8116 said:

While both had injuries, would argue not remotely the same mentally or physical. Weigman had a broken anklen which required several screws when Henderson had a break of non throwing arm.

If memory serves Henderson didn't get hit, just a fluke play injury (that said, I don't remember exactly)
Old Army '83
wosco24
Way too many Chicken Littles in this thread. Relax and breathe. Sheesh…
Divining Rod
Zackdh9 said:

Are you calling for a backup HB because Moss let 2-3 of those passes to the flat bounce off his hands? because he failed to run his out route to first down depth? maybe check yourself
please don't bring logic and football understanding to the question. like the multiple times CW had to get the ball out of his hands because of DL in his face where 90% of QBs woulda been sacked. Or the really good decisions he made to tuck the ball and run for a 1st. Or the many really good throws he made.

No, these "fans" watch games like a video game. See QB, see incomplete pass, replace QB. Most are idiots with little understanding of the game.

That said I DO like Henderson and Reed- a bunch!
DavidAg02
beerad12man said:

The NIL thing being the reason he's starting is next level stupidity and conspiracy theory. Just a bunch of baseless rumors that some online ran with. No, that's not why he is starting.
https://cottonholdings.com/news/cotton-holdings-announces-multi-year-partnership-with-texas-am-athletics-and-nil-deal-with-true-freshman-all-american-qb-conner-weigman

$600,000 from Cotton Holdings. If that was your company, and you spent $600k on an NIL deal... and they were benched 1 game into the season... wouldn't you be a little upset?

It's not the reason he's the starter, but it may be part of the reason why he continues to start even if he shouldn't.
TopoTacos
AG
Also, you spent all of prep week game planning for Conner. And in a tight game, especially given what the coaches had seen of him in practice, I would imagine the thinking was that a good start to a series could steady the ship and see him make a play, rather than bringing Hendo/Reed in cold against an elite defense.

It sucked, and watching it back he seemed rattled after that second series, but there is plenty of season left.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.