Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Jimbo's Aggie QBs: Where are they now

7,503 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 12 days ago by W
Aggie Therapist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Kellen Mond: Waived by the Saints this May. Old Ags hate him.

Haynes King: Injured at A&M. Ags complain about his helmet size. Starting QB at Georgia Tech who just knocked off #10 FSU.

Zach Calzone: Injured at A&M. Held together by duct tape. Beat Bama and told our fanbase to "SMD". Starting QB at Incarnate Word. Two years after reaching the FCS semifinals for the first time in program history, UIW returns a loaded roster that features 10 preseason all-conference selections headlined by star quarterback Zach Calzada, last year's conference leader in total offense, passing yards per game and passing efficiency.

Conner Weigman: Injured at Texas A&M. Starting QB at Texas A&M. Poise for a great season after a season ending injury in 2023.

Max Johnson: Injured at Texas A&M. Starting a shared roll at QB at UNC with Conner Harrel. His dad really hates Jimbo Fisher.

Jaylen Henderson: injured at Texas A&M Although Jimbo was gone, his damage was was not finished yet and would linger until Elko arrived.

We paid Jimbo Fisher millions of dollars to develop QBs for other football programs who are now thankful for Jimbo's efforts.

The QB Whisper lives on…
Rec
AG
I might have been the only one that was 100% against his hire. Took a lot of abuse here, took a hiatus for the most part from here for a few years after. And then I told you so never really feels that good.
Tejas Ag 10
AG
Rec said:

I might have been the only one that was 100% against his hire. Took a lot of abuse here, took a hiatus for the most part from here for a few years after. And then I told you so never really feels that good.
wouldnt you have just rather been wrong and we win a natty?
Rec
AG
Yes
AggieOO
Rec said:

I will vouch for him. He definitely wanted nothing to do with jimbo. Unfortunately, he was right.
Rec
AG
Didn't want to be
W
AG
so Jimbo's only successful QB during his tenure...

was left over from the Sumlin era
BoxingAg84
You forgot James Foster and Eli Stowers
Aggie Therapist
AG
Well, I started seeing the writing on the wall a few years into his tenure. I was called a bleeder and a few other choice words on Premium.

You can't have an adult conversation over there. You have to be all on board and wear maroon sunglasses. No one wants to hear criticism. Basically a echo chamber and circle jerk of gaslighting
W
AG
Calzada will turn 24 years old during the 2024 season

by the way...he never played a down for Auburn in 2022 after leaving A&M
Rec
AG
We pulled this bum out of the ditch yeah off a 5-6 season and a loss to wake frekin forest. With his NC ring that came purely from a transcend talent and extremely poor character guy in Jameis Winston. It was a disaster n the making. Our Ad was a ****ing LSU Tiger who not only facilitated the 75 million stupid dollar contract, but then left and went to LSU and sabotaged us again by faking interest and we upped it to a mind boggling imbecilic 120 million. My loyalty never wavered but my faith in our admin dissolved. And after the tu to SEC vote I can safely say they are not sane. The zoo lynch mob will zoo…
TexasAggiesWin
S
Rec said:

We pulled this bum out of the ditch yeah off a 5-6 season and a loss to wake frekin forest. With his NC ring that came purely from a transcend talent and extremely poor character guy in Jameis Winston. It was a disaster n the making. Our Ad was a ****ing LSU Tiger who not only facilitated the 75 million stupid dollar contract, but then left and went to LSU and sabotaged us again by faking interest and we upped it to a mind boggling imbecilic 120 million. My loyalty never wavered but my faith in our admin dissolved. And after the tu to SEC vote I can safely say they are not sane. The zoo lynch mob will zoo…

Sir, the therapist will not be back until tomorrow
Rec
AG
I got betta
dcbowers
AG
BoxingAg84 said:

Nick Starkel
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
war hymn aggie
AG
Mond improved during Jimbo's tenure but didn't ever live up to expectations as the #1 rated dual threat QB in the nation. Had some decent career passing & rushing numbers but was very inconsistent.

No other QB in Jimbo's tenure thrived or gave Aggies the impression (other than CW when he was healthy) that this was the QB that could lead A&M to a lofty season.

Fisher's tenure will be remembered for several things, but lack of QB development (along with lack of wins) has got to be one of the biggest frustrations with him since he came to A&M with his record of doing this in the past.
Aggie Therapist
AG
dcbowers said:

BoxingAg84 said:

Nick Starkel

Ummm. That was a Sumlin recruit. Jimbo showed up and gave the starting position to Mond over Nick.

Come on man….
TyperWoods
Rec said:

I was 90% no Jimbo before the hire. Hadn't liked him since his time at LSU.

However I supported him during his time at A&M.

Ecstatic about the Elko hire.

Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Bost!!!
AWP 97
AG
Aggie Therapist said:

Haynes King: Injured at A&M. Ags complain about his helmet size. Starting QB at Georgia Tech who just knocked off #10 FSU.

Zach Calzone: Injured at A&M. Held together by duct tape. Beat Bama and told our fanbase to "SMD". Starting QB at Incarnate Word. Two years after reaching the FCS semifinals for the first time in program history, UIW returns a loaded roster that features 10 preseason all-conference selections headlined by star quarterback Zach Calzada, last year's conference leader in total offense, passing yards per game and passing efficiency.

Conner Weigman: Injured at Texas A&M. Starting QB at Texas A&M. Poise for a great season after a season ending injury in 2023.

Max Johnson: Injured at Texas A&M. Starting a shared roll at QB at UNC with Conner Harrel. His dad really hates Jimbo Fisher.

Jaylen Henderson: injured at Texas A&M Although Jimbo was gone, his damage was was not finished yet and would linger until Elko arrived.

We paid Jimbo Fisher millions of dollars to develop QBs for other football programs who are now thankful for Jimbo's efforts.

The QB Whisper lives on…

QBs for other programs? Your worried about a QB at Incarnate Word and Georgia Tech? I agree that Jimbo's downfall was mostly poor QB play but go back and see how many games he actually got to play the QB that he wanted to play. Now that I think about, his poor ability to develop OL was his biggest downfall. However, it's not like all of his QBs have found great success at other schools. They are all average to slightly above average. Let's hope that Fisher, at least got Weigman right.
BuddysBud
AG
The list has a consistent theme. It basically says that the O-line wasn't very good if all the QB's except one ended up injured.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Aggie Therapist said:

Well, I started seeing the writing on the wall a few years into his tenure. I was called a bleeder and a few other choice words on Premium.

You can't have an adult conversation over there. You have to be all on board and wear maroon sunglasses. No one wants to hear criticism. Basically a echo chamber and circle jerk of gaslighting

Anyone that attempts to argue this is a freakin' liar.

I was more of a "OK, let's try this..." but the whole Winston thing gave me pause. I couldn't believe we were repeating the whole Fran and Sumlin episodes almost word for word. Its like no one remembered how those tenures ended and Jimbo's freak 2013 season was all that mattered. It was very clear a year into his tenure things were going to hell fast but you couldn't say that on here.
texag101
Aggie Therapist said:

I gave up Premium for this reason.
fullback44
AG
Aggie Therapist said:

The QB Whisper lives on…
Now do this for the other top 25 schools …. It's part of college football that QBs leave if they don't play for what ever reason…. Yawn yawn yawn
Aggie Therapist
AG
I thought I was on your ignore list?

Go back to premium and talk about how great Jimbo was.
fieldtrailer
AG
Common denominator is the oline. Awful. Especially in pass protection. Hard to do anything behind those groups.
Ugly
AG
TyperWoods said:

Rec said:

I was 90% no Jimbo before the hire. Hadn't liked him since his time at LSU.

However I supported him during his time at A&M.

Ecstatic about the Elko hire.

Well, count me as one that is not 100% against the hire, even after the fact. Like Sumlin, Jimbo had deep, systematic issues that weren't getting fixed. However, also like Sumlin, I think he was just what we needed when we hired him.

Sumlin revived our program at a time many thought we would need to just be happy getting steamrolled for a while. He brought swagger (which was ultimately a part of his undoing) to a program that was very stale. Say what you will about his inability to ever get over the hump, but he (and Johnny) brought Texas A&M back into national discussion in a way it hadn't been since I started watching in the 00's.

Jimbo took the resulting Texas A&M program and gave it an air of legitimacy (at least for a while) that Sumlin was never quite able to capture. With a natty ring, a playoff snub, and tHe GrEaTeSt ReCrUiTiNg ClAsS oF alL tImE, not to mention slightly more minor issues like being the first former assistant to take down Saban and beating LSU in the highest scoring game of the modern era, he very much brought A&M to the forefront of national discussion. At the very least he brought recruiting up to the levels it needed to be for the first time since the 90's or earlier. After destroying the culture he had built and generally just falling on his face the last two years, I understand the reason to let him go (though I still think it was slightly too early based on the $$ value), but that doesn't mean he was a complete failure here.

I would of course prefer to find that magical coach that will transform the program over night, but in lieu of that, gradually improving the program (and yes, the brand) is a pretty decent way to go as well. Over the course of the last 12 years we have gotten: 1) funding on the right track (think Kyle field rebuild, current NIL), 2) talent acquisition right (we're #4 in BCR and #7 in the talent composite), 3) branding is on the right track (we are either one of the top 10 brands in the sport right now, or at least close to it). Hopefully Elko is able to elevate us once again.
Class of 65
AG
Aggie Therapist said:

Best Post I have seen in many years!

The QB Whisper lives on…
Class of 65
AG
Aggie Therapist said:

The QB Whisper lives on…
Best Post I have seen in many years. We should build a statute for Calzada,
Bill Superman
AG
AWP 97 said:

Aggie Therapist said:

The QB Whisper lives on…

QBs for other programs? Your worried about a QB at Incarnate Word and Georgia Tech? I agree that Jimbo's downfall was mostly poor QB play but go back and see how many games he actually got to play the QB that he wanted to play. Now that I think about, his poor ability to develop OL was his biggest downfall. However, it's not like all of his QBs have found great success at other schools. They are all average to slightly above average. Let's hope that Fisher, at least got Weigman right.
Jimbo's biggest downfall has always been his porous O Lines, even back to his 5-6 fsu season. He hated good O Lines.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Zach Calzone?
agracer
AG
Rec said:

Wasn't 100% against the hire, but thought the contract was way to big.

Thought the extension was the one of the dumbest decisions in CFB history and we were being played by the Tigers (they didn't really want him, but got us to raise our price to keep him). Lots of folks said this and got roasted here. They were right as well.

And FTR, would rather have been wrong and have Jimbo/A&M be the new Saban/Bama of the SEC for the next 10 years.
jdaggie2112
war hymn aggie said:

Mond improved during Jimbo's tenure but didn't ever live up to expectations as the #1 rated dual threat QB in the nation. Had some decent career passing & rushing numbers but was very inconsistent.

just for thread accuracy sake.............it would be hard to live up to expectations as the #1 rated dual threat QB considering he wasn't the #1 rated dual threat QB in the nation

nitpicking though, as you are generally correct regarding inconsistencies. His throwing motion was just too wonky to be consistent. I appreciated his toughness and leadership though.
Aggie Therapist
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Zach Calzone?

The man should never have to buy a beer in college station
Can we stop referring to Fisher as a "quarterback whisperer?"

There's not much consistent evidence of a pattern of QB development in his career.
"So long as an opinion is strongly rooted in the feelings, it gains rather than loses in stability by having a preponderating weight of argument against it."

- John Stuart Mill, 1869
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Aggie Therapist said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Zach Calzone?

The man should never have to buy a beer in college station
Agreed.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.