Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Jimbo's Aggie QBs: Where are they now

7,576 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 16 days ago by W
greg.w.h
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
agracer said:

Rec said:

I might have been the only one that was 100% against his hire. Took a lot of abuse here, took a hiatus for the most part from here for a few years after. And then I told you so never really feels that good.
Wasn't 100% against the hire, but thought the contract was way to big.

Thought the extension was the one of the dumbest decisions in CFB history and we were being played by the Tigers (they didn't really want him, but got us to raise our price to keep him). Lots of folks said this and got roasted here. They were right as well.

And FTR, would rather have been wrong and have Jimbo/A&M be the new Saban/Bama of the SEC for the next 10 years.
2020 was our best season since 1939. I definitely think people focused on the Bama loss and ignored the context. But it was a very good season.

Was the contract extension wise? Not if we needed to fire him…but was the firing wise? We shall see…
Aggie_Nuke
AG
Rec said:

I might have been the only one that was 100% against his hire. Took a lot of abuse here, took a hiatus for the most part from here for a few years after. And then I told you so never really feels that good.
No, you weren't the only one against his hire. And, as an FYI, I'm also against the Elko hire. Nothing against Elko personally, it's just he has no Head Coach experience (the short time at Duke is meaningless) and he will just be another in the line of 84 years of mediocrity.... heading to 85 years.

The ONLY valid ANNUAL goal for ALL Aggie Sports is a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!

Gig'em !
FTAC '73
Logos Stick
Good topic OP. Eye opening.

Jimbo was bad. I consider him our greatest disappointment. The expectations were off the chart because of the natty and he crashed to earth.
Aggie Therapist
AG
I was in North Carolina at the time of the hire. I was elated, but had a lot of ACC buddies pretty skeptical of the hire.

I'm sure my maroon glasses never came off at the time…..A&M brought out the most insane welcoming party I have ever seen. And that stupid ass trophy.

Never again…
Txhuntr
AG
Aggie_Nuke said:

Rec said:

No, you weren't the only one against his hire. And, as an FYI, I'm also against the Elko hire. Nothing against Elko personally, it's just he has no Head Coach experience (the short time at Duke is meaningless) and he will just be another in the line of 84 years of mediocrity.... heading to 85 years.

The first 3 years of the jimbo era were more than mediocre, and showed a trend of building towards something. It was after Elko left that the trend started downward quickly. I'm not sure that was coincidence
Romello
I can usually tell how many losses are coming by the coaches weight gain. I'm hoping Elko can be successful here for ours and his sake.
Rec
AG
greg.w.h said:

agracer said:

Rec said:

Wasn't 100% against the hire, but thought the contract was way to big.

Thought the extension was the one of the dumbest decisions in CFB history and we were being played by the Tigers (they didn't really want him, but got us to raise our price to keep him). Lots of folks said this and got roasted here. They were right as well.

And FTR, would rather have been wrong and have Jimbo/A&M be the new Saban/Bama of the SEC for the next 10 years.
2020 was our best season since 1939. I definitely think people focused on the Bama loss and ignored the context. But it was a very good season.

Was the contract extension wise? Not if we needed to fire him…but was the firing wise? We shall see…

We had 2 games we didn't play and we imo would have lost at least one of them. And we would have been crushed in the playoffs if they had put us in, we weren't anywhere close to #5 best team. Just my own opinion.
StinkyPinky
AG
I was unfortunately excited for the Jimbo hire (like I was Fran), both regrettable.

I'm optimistic on Elko, but in all honesty was originally hoping for a Fisch, Lanning, or Dabo hire.

StinkyPinky
AG
Coincidentally enough read this article today and his possible return? What type of job do you think his ego will let him take?

https://gigemgazette.com/posts/former-texas-a-m-football-coach-hints-he-may-be-back-on-the-sidelines-soon-01j67q18q3xh
nothingbutlove
A lot of people gave up their season tix because of the Jimbo hire.

I was also 100% against.
nothingbutlove
Aggie_Nuke said:

Rec said:

I tend to agree with this.

But I seriously hope I'm wrong.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
Kellen Mond was the only quarterback who stayed healthy and lasted 3 years in Jimbo Fisher's tenure, and he was left over from Kevin Sumlin's recruits. We should not have given Jimbo a 10-year and $75 million contract. Even worse, we gave a 4-year extension before the 2021 season. As a result, the buyout was $76 million for the remaining 8 years on the next contract instead of $30 million for the remaining 4 years of the original contract. The original contract should have been 6 years with no extension until winning the SEC Championship Game.

Kevin Sumlin's overall record of 51-26 (0.662) was slightly higher than Jimbo Fisher's overall record of 45-25 (0.643). Jimbo Fisher's SEC record is 27-21 (0.5625), which is slightly higher than Kevin Sumlin's SEC record of 25-23 (0.521). Sumlin was fired for his inability to win SEC home games, and Jimbo was fired for his inability to win road games.

Jimbo Fisher went 16-6 (0.727) in SEC home games, including 10-5 (0.667) against SEC West teams. In contrast, Kevin Sumlin went 8-14 (0.364) in SEC home games. Even worse, he went a putrid 3-12 (0.200) in home games against SEC West teams, including a 7-game losing streak at the end of his tenure.

However, Jimbo Fisher went 7-14 (0.333) in true SEC road games. Also, he ended his tenure with 9 consecutive road losses, including 8 consecutive SEC road losses. Even worse, he went a putrid 3-11 (0.214) in road games against SEC West teams, including a 6-game losing streak at the end of his tenure. In contrast, Kevin Sumlin went 13-9 (0.591) in true SEC road games, including 9-8 (0.529) against SEC West teams.
Aggie Therapist
AG
Would you dare to say, one of the worst investments in A&M history?

Apples to oranges comparison, but working with recently housed chronically homeless Veterans, you gotta think how much money society wastes on football coaches vs actual needs.

And just to have absolutely no ROI for that amount of money is ridiculous and sad.
You’re not alone—the Veterans Crisis Line is here for you. You don’t have to be enrolled in VA benefits or health care to call.

Dial 988 Press 1
74AnimalA
AG
W said:

Calzada will turn 24 years old during the 2024 season

by the way...he never played a down for Auburn in 2022 after leaving A&M
I think it was due to his lingering Injury to his shoulder which was Injured While at A&M
W
AG
Jimbo's QB's stink

and that's not debatable
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.