Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

2012 A&M vs 2005 Texas. Who Wins?

8,961 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by HoustonAggie427
Leonard H. Stringfield
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The media
"Roswell, 1947, there was a uap (ufo) that crashed, in fact there were 2 uaps, 1 crashed and one flew away and the other one did not and was recovered by the US GOVERNMENT."
- Lue Elizondo-former director of the Pentagon's Advanced Aerospace Threat Identification Program-August 20, 2024

Are A&M's core values..optional? Who has the POWER to determine that? Are certain departments exempt? Why?

Farsight Institute, Atlanta, GA

ABATTBQ11
AG
EasyT said:

Thank goodness we don't play Tech anymore. They owned us and rubbed it in our faces…

You might want to get that rash looked at and ask your wife where she picked it up...
EasyT
You can choose to be less hostile. I'm only stating the facts. Leach, Graham Harrell and Crabtree owned us.
BiggiesLX
Related question… If Romance Taylor stayed out of trouble, would he have been better than Reggie Bush?
SunrayAg
AG
Unbiased officials… we win by 10.

Sip alumni wearing stripes… they "find a way".
Stone44
AG
EasyT said:

You can choose to be less hostile. I'm only stating the facts. Leach, Graham Harrell and Crabtree owned us.

If you check your facts the Aggies beat them the last three times we played. We also started the decline of Mike Leach at tech. Tech was always a perennial loser who never won an outright conference championship. They were co-champions and went to the Cotton Bowl because they had never been, and got demolished by the largest score any southwest conference team have ever lost by. That's your tech.
Aggie Dad Sip
Bryanisbest said:

JFF was far better than Vince Young. Young was a great QB. Manziel was a magician.

I've gotta be honest. When I read that, I thought you were an absolute idiot. I watched Vince Young and was convinced he was the best college athlete I'd ever seen. Then I compared their numbers and JFF was undeniably better…except for the national championship. I admit I was wrong and salute Johnny Manziel. The kid was one hell of a college Qb.
EasyT
Tech would beat Atm and then laugh . Hell one year they threw a goal post in the atm section and we started fighting each other…
dreyOO
Showstopper said:

I don't like giving them credit, but that 2005 team killed almost everyone. If you want a debate, pick one of their other teams. 2009 you can make the argument; 2005, I honestly don't see it.

The same team that needed a bull**** call to fend of the powerhouse from Kansas?

Johnny Football would have killed that team in a fairly officiated game.
fretyuioz
Wrong year. That KU game was 2004.
Aggie Dad Sip
dreyOO said:

Showstopper said:

I don't like giving them credit, but that 2005 team killed almost everyone. If you want a debate, pick one of their other teams. 2009 you can make the argument; 2005, I honestly don't see it.

The same team that needed a bull**** call to fend of the powerhouse from Kansas?

Texas 66
Kansas 14

Texas 51
Kansas 20

You are probably thinking about 2004 when Texas beat KU in Lawrence 27-24.

With less than three minutes to go and Kansas leading 23-20, KU completed a critical 3rd down pass for a first down that essentially ended the game, assuring a massive KU upset of #6 Texas.

However, as everyone knows, Texas owns college football - and especially the refs - and cashed in their chips to buy an offensive pass interference call that negated the first down and forced a Kansas punt.

Then, on 4th & 18 with 2:00 minutes left, Texas cheated again when Vince Young juked a KU linebacker out of his drawers and scrambled for a first down, setting up an illegal game winning TD pass with less than a minute on the clock.

After that, Texas cheated its way to a two score win over A&M in Austin and then bought a Rose Bowl win over Michigan.

However, the 2005 and 2009 wins over Kansas seem to be legit.
ABATTBQ11
AG
EasyT said:

Head on back to your now irrelevant second tier conference, sonny. This isn't meat judging.
Aggie Dad Sip
ABATTBQ11 said:

EasyT said:

Head on back to your now irrelevant second tier conference, sonny. This isn't meat judging.

Wow. I sure am glad the Big 12 was an absolute powerhouse juggernaut of a conference in 1998 when the Fightin' Texas Aggies won it for the only time and finished…8th.
dixichkn
AG
Aggie Dad Sip said:

dreyOO said:

Showstopper said:

Texas 66
Kansas 14

Texas 51
Kansas 20

With less than three minutes to go and Kansas leading 23-20, KU completed a critical 3rd down pass for a first down that essentially ended the game, assuring a massive KU upset of #6 Texas.

However, as everyone knows, Texas owns college football - and especially the refs - and cashed in their chips to buy an offensive pass interference call that negated the first down and forced a Kansas punt.

Then, on 4th & 18 with 2:00 minutes left, Texas cheated again when Vince Young juked a KU linebacker out of his drawers and scrambled for a first down, setting up an illegal game winning TD pass with less than a minute on the clock.

After that, Texas cheated its way to a two score win over A&M in Austin and then bought a Rose Bowl win over Michigan.

Quit being a condescending ass and just admit you got an extremely beneficial call that day in '04. Mangino absolutely blew his top after that one. Then was forced by the league office to apologize
Aggie Dad Sip
dixichkn said:

Aggie Dad Sip said:

dreyOO said:

Showstopper said:

Texas 66
Kansas 14

Texas 51
Kansas 20

Quit being a condescending ass and just admit you got an extremely beneficial call that day in '04. Mangino absolutely blew his top after that one. Then was forced by the league office to apologize

I'm sorry for laying it on so thick, but the constant whining about Texas buying refs is just silly. Texas gets hosed by the officials as much as any other team.
LB12Diamond
AG
LOL

You really have no idea. Best if you just walk away.

I could write a book on the obvious calls that helped the sips win games. But what's even crazier, in our 10 year dominate run starting in the 80s, the blatant calls in the sips favor were nuts as well. We were just so much better it did not matter. There's a reason Jackie said you had to overcome 2-3 bad calls a game.
Aggie Dad Sip
LB12Diamond said:

LOL

You really have no idea. Best if you just walk away.

I could write a book on the obvious calls that helped the sips win games. But what's even crazier, in our 10 year dominate run starting in the 80s, the blatant calls in the sips favor were nuts as well. We were just so much better it did not matter. There's a reason Jackie said you had to overcome 2-3 bad calls a game.

By all means, write it. Sounds like a fascinating read. I'd definitely buy one. Let me know.
SunrayAg
AG
Aggie Dad Sip said:

dixichkn said:

Aggie Dad Sip said:

dreyOO said:

Showstopper said:

Texas 66
Kansas 14

Texas 51
Kansas 20

I'm sorry for laying it on so thick, but the constant whining about Texas buying refs is just silly. Texas gets hosed by the officials as much as any other team.
No one said texas "buys" the refs.

When the refs are your alumni and fans, you don't have to buy them.
Aggie Dad Sip
SunrayAg said:

Aggie Dad Sip said:

dixichkn said:

Aggie Dad Sip said:

dreyOO said:

Showstopper said:

Texas 66
Kansas 14

Texas 51
Kansas 20

If Texas was as well connected and all powerful as some on this site believe, they'd never lose a game. Every fan base in the country think the officials are out to get them. It's more that officiating as a whole in every sport is terrible than any rogue officials putting their thumb on the scale for their favorite team. For as much crap as officials get week in and week out, I wouldn't do that job for any amount of money.
Duckhook
AG
Mac94 said:

Ags2013 said:

That 2012 A&M was special but also not unbeatable (11-2). Late season A&M would give them a run for their money.

2005 Texas was ridiculously good. I think they were only challenged by Ohio State and USC that year.
The 2005 A&M team hung with them pretty good and McGee outplayed Young overall. They won ... but we fought them tooth and nail and the 05 Aggie squad wasn't near the squad the 2012 team was.

We killed Vince's Heisman hopes.
aginlakeway
AG
SunrayAg said:

Aggie Dad Sip said:

dixichkn said:

Aggie Dad Sip said:

dreyOO said:

Showstopper said:

Texas 66
Kansas 14

Texas 51
Kansas 20

Then why has Texas lost so many games, especially since its last title? If the refs want you to win, you win.
The '05 Texas defense was very good and lived in the shadow of Vince Young.

Defense wins championships.
"So long as an opinion is strongly rooted in the feelings, it gains rather than loses in stability by having a preponderating weight of argument against it."

- John Stuart Mill, 1869
HowdyGetRowdy409
QB - Push - Both willed their teams to victory many times. Designed QB runs would hurt us and if you couldn't get VY down it would be a massive problem. I know bringing up 2005 is talked about, but that team defensively was more talented than 2012. On there other hand, Manziel was so slippery and you could not get a hand on him and could make any throw at the college level when on the run and the pace of play would be a huge factor in this game for our 2012 offense.

RB - TU - Jamaal Charles, Ramonce Taylor, Selvin Young, Henry Melton (TU's Jovorskie) would have been tough to stop.

WR - A&M - Mike and Swope enough said

TE - TU - David Thomas,

Oline - A&M - Too many studs on the Oline.

Dline - TU - Orakpo, Robison, Wright, Dibbles, Miller

LBs - Push/Slight edge to TU.

DBs - TU - Griffin bros., Ross, Huff and Brown were all great college players

ST - A&M - Bertolet and Lambo both played in NFL

A&M did lose to FLA and LSU which I know a field goal here or there would've made the difference.

I'd like to say A&M would win, but I never would've bet against VY at that time due to his ability to pull out spectacular victories. TU beat one of the greatest teams ever on the biggest stage so I'd have to side with TU taking this one unfortunately.
Aggie Dad Sip
I wasn't following A&M very closely in 2012, so forgive what might be a dumb question, but if the Aggies had beaten LSU that year would they have made the SEC title game over Alabama?
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
Aggie Dad Sip said:

I wasn't following A&M very closely in 2012, so forgive what might be a dumb question, but if the Aggies had beaten LSU that year would they have made the SEC title game over Alabama?
I admit I didn't follow Texas A&M very closely in 2012 either. It wasn't until after I got accepted to Texas A&M in May 2013 that I began to follow Texas A&M closely. But If we had beaten LSU or Florida, we would have finished 11-1 (7-1 SEC) and won the SEC West with a tiebreaking head-to-head win over 11-1 (7-1 SEC) Alabama and played 11-1 (7-1 SEC) Georgia in the SEC Championship Game.
Aggie Dad Sip
Iraq2xVeteran said:

Aggie Dad Sip said:

I admit I didn't follow Texas A&M very closely in 2012 either. It wasn't until after I got accepted to Texas A&M in May 2013 that I began to follow Texas A&M closely. But If we had beaten LSU or Florida, we would have finished 11-1 (7-1 SEC) and won the SEC West with a tiebreaking head-to-head win over 11-1 (7-1 SEC) Alabama and played 11-1 (7-1 SEC) Georgia in the SEC Championship Game.

I have a feeling JFF would've lit Georgia up in that game.
Bison
AG
Another thing to remember about 2012 is that the game against La Tech was supposed to be early in the season. It got moved on account of hurricane (which ended up a nothingburger, but oh well). I think we win the game as originally scheduled, as La Tech would not have been running so hot. More importantly, it would have given us time to work out a few kinks and beat either Florida or LSU without a kicking game. And then, as we all remember, we would have held HTH over Bama.

Unanswered question: if we only have the one loss going to Tuscaloosa, does Saban do more to prep his team for a win?

The Ags played twelve straight games without a break that season, and that's something.

Neutral site: in the state of Texas? Dallas would be them, Houston would be us. We might have a slight edge in New Orleans, maybe. Beyond that, whoever travels better gets the win. Put the O/U at 60 and take over. We could put up points, but so could they. Game probably comes down to last possession.
EliteZags
AG
TBH I'd rather see 2012 vs 05 USC
JFF - Reggie Bush shootout
Scott Farcas
this whole discussion is stupid. if, if, if……… uugh.

can't we just be happy w JFF and what he did?

who TF cares what tu did in 2005.
Aginnebraska
AG
Mac94 said:

Ags2013 said:

That 2012 A&M was special but also not unbeatable (11-2). Late season A&M would give them a run for their money.

2005 Texas was ridiculously good. I think they were only challenged by Ohio State and USC that year.
The 2005 A&M team hung with them pretty good and McGee outplayed Young overall. They won ... but we fought them tooth and nail and the 05 Aggie squad wasn't near the squad the 2012 team was.

They had a late game punt return for a TD that put that game out of reach. We had Stephen McGee (whom I Ioved) but he was not Johnny Football.

I will say that was a 50/50 game with an edge to A&M if we were playing on Thanksgiving Day. JFF and Evans had that team playing Elite. Anything McGee could do JFF could do better.
Aginnebraska
AG
Aggie Dad Sip said:

Bryanisbest said:

JFF was far better than Vince Young. Young was a great QB. Manziel was a magician.

I've gotta be honest. When I read that, I thought you were an absolute idiot. I watched Vince Young and was convinced he was the best college athlete I'd ever seen. Then I compared their numbers and JFF was undeniably better…except for the national championship. I admit I was wrong and salute Johnny Manziel. The kid was one hell of a college Qb.

If you think the 2005 Texas team (yes national chamption and yes heisman winner Vince Young) was a generational team, I think you'd be surprised at how competitive that game was. It was a one score game into the 4th quarter even with Fran Coaching, Torbush DC and McGee as the QB. That game with a JFF and Mike Evans and our 2012 OL...we would win hands down.
EasyT
Who has a better record us or the Sips?
HoustonAggie427
Well said
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.